"Day Without a Gay" 12/10

Did anyone hear about this protest or take part in it? I guess the idea was that everyone in support of repealing the ban on gay marriage should have called in sick to work today by "calling in gay".

I really would have liked to put my foot in, but honestly I couldn't afford to lose the day of work. I'm not gay myself, but I hope this protest did some good..

i didn't hear about it - i probably would have lost my job.

i can't call in absent unless i'm in hospital, pretty much!

good idea, but why should we get back at our employees because of the ban on homosexual marriages? surely someone can come up with something better.

i didn't hear about it - i probably would have lost my job.

i can't call in absent unless i'm in hospital, pretty much!

good idea, but why should we get back at our employees because of the ban on homosexual marriages? surely someone can come up with something better.

My take on the idea was this: if gay citizens are not allowed the same rights and benefits as straight citizens, how would things change if they did not contribute to the society?

Do we value gay people in the workforce? Then why don't we value their human rights?

But I so agree... you could totally lose your job so it was kind of a tough protest to take part in!

Thing is there is nothing wrong with two same sex people being united forever, but to call it something that for decades is traditional man and woman, no. That is like changing history. It needs a new name.

They even had a link of what you could do instead, if calling in would get you fired.

link removed

I agree with redhearts.

Personally I do not believe in marriage due to all of the traditional religious connotations. I believe in commitment ceremonies and defacto relationships but I do not believe in a religious ceremony such as a marriage. If a majority of society believes that homosexuals cannot get married then howcome society still thinks it's okay for tainted (devirginised) women to be married? Howcome society lets divorced men and women remarry in a church? Both of these things are also against the whole christian religion thing, so what is the difference?

However I am all for commitment ceremonies for homosexuals, proclaiming their relationship status as a "real" relationship (such as a married man & woman) - all of that.

I don't understand why some gay couples want to get married - do they not understand the religious connotations - and the traditional idea of marriage in the first place? I do understand however that some serious couples would like to be treated equally alongside married hetero couples. They deserve to be in every right.

Sorry - I hope I haven't turned this into a debate.

Archived