Should I get a puppy?

PsychGirly

Ok, so my younger sister and I really want a dog, but my mom is kind of opposed to the idea of keeping a dog indoors.

We live in a condo, & she loves animals, but she's a neat-freak, so she doesn't want "poop and hair all over the house" (lol). We all are out of the house all day (work & school), so it would be running around the house alone all day (which would drive my mom nuts).

Now, I have a feeling that if I do get my sister a puppy for Christmas, my mom just MAY soften up once she sees how cute it is.

Only thing I'm afraid of is getting the puppy, and my mom insisting that we can't keep it...that would break my heart, not to mention my sisters...

I dunno what to do

Any advice?

Your mother is part of this decision and if she doesn't want a dog because she doesn't want the house messed up then you need to abide by her wishes. When you and your sister move away from home then you can each decide on getting a dog..but while living at your mother's place you need to abide by her wishes on the matter. Dogs are indeed a lot of work. You can get dogs that don't shed but you need to do some research on that to find out what you want, their temperament and if they have any special needs that will add to your costs (for example some dogs that don't shed, like poodles, require grooming). So I think it would be best to hold off on getting a dog until you have your own place.

I highly recomend crate training your dog. Your vet will say the same thing, since people tend to lash out on dogs when they make mistakes. Instead of a puppy you could get one from your spca. I have never bought a dog since there are plenty that will get put down if they don't get adopted.

I've considered a cat, too...but not too excited about cats lol (sorry ILMBC, & all other catlovers).

I have a cat and he is great but if you want something that is going to pay attention to you, get a dog. My cat only comes near me when he is hungry, and since he is fat it's quite often.

Dogs require alot more attention than cats do. Alot. Puppies require essentially as much attention as a human child.

I've had multiple dogs throughout my life and the risk vs reward ratio is pretty intimidating at times.

If you don't have a big yard, and you're not willing to walk and play with it (which involves running around and sometimes ending up on the ground) then it won't get enough exercise. Without enough exercise dogs get bored. When dogs get bored they chew, soil the house, and destroy things.

If everyone is going to be gone all day then you better be prepared to spend the majority of your evenings with the dog for say, the rest of it's life. If it's constantly left alone it will get bored, chew, soil the house, and destroy things.

Also, with a puppy, you need to be prepared to do some full time dog training. Dogs don't come pre-trained. That means that you need to be willing to spend numerous hours each week training it to do what you want it to do.

Of course, not everyone does those things. The unfortunate consequence of not doing them is that the dog will be ill-behaved and do exactly what your mother doesn't want it to. Dogs are cute, but they are seriously work. That dog will be attached to your hip every, single moment that you are home. It's not something to get unless you really want the responsibility for the 10-12 years of it's lifespan.

Well, when I said we're not home all day, I didn't literally mean allll day lol My mom works from 6am-4pm, I work from 9am-5pm, and my sister comes home from school around 3pm.

I forgot to mention, we had a puppy a few years ago for about 6 months, and she was ok with it, but it became too much to handle at the time because my sister and I were much younger (7 years ago), & didn't really take responsibility, so we decided to give him away to a family friend =[

Someone has to walk the dog at least twice a day. Unless everyone is cool with the dog pooping all over the yard and having to walk in the poop in the yard (although I guess that will happen anyway, regardless of how much you walk him or her). Or maybe I'm just out of touch but aren't people with yards kind of grossed out by their dogs pooping all over the lawn and then not being able to walk around freely?

Well, when I said we're not home all day, I didn't literally mean allll day lol My mom works from 6am-4pm, I work from 9am-5pm, and my sister comes home from school around 3pm.

I forgot to mention, we had a puppy a few years ago for about 6 months, and she was ok with it, but it became too much to handle at the time because my sister and I were much younger (7 years ago), & didn't really take responsibility, so we decided to give him away to a family friend =[

That's pretty much all day

Remember that dogs are pack animals, they desire near-constant social interaction.

^^^Concur. I have a shorthaired pointer which requires a ton of exercise. Since I don't have a big yard I take him for a run every night. When I want to go on trips or stay at someones house I have to make sure he either has a sitter or I will be home by 9 the next morning to let him out of the cage. All said and done I wouldn't trade him for anything in the world, best dog ever.

I agree with the others that you definitely need to talk to you mother - and her say is the final say. You can prepare for the convo by doing good research, and having worked out how you are going to train the dog, who is going to have which responsibilities, etc etc, but in the end it will be her decision. I wouldn't try to convince her TOO much: you don't want her to feel that she has been bullied into it.

Would she be less opposed to getting a dog (over a year old)?

I wouldn't get a cat instead unless you really want one: that wouldn't be fun for anyone.

Someone has to walk the dog at least twice a day. Unless everyone is cool with the dog pooping all over the yard and having to walk in the poop in the yard (although I guess that will happen anyway, regardless of how much you walk him or her). Or maybe I'm just out of touch but aren't people with yards kind of grossed out by their dogs pooping all over the lawn and then not being able to walk around freely?

You clean your yard up in the morning. haha I couldn't imagine if I didn't, there would be landmines everywhere.

Everyone can say to go get a shelter dog. But truthfully you can only train a puppy very well. As they get old they are nearly impossible to train to new surroundings.

Not true. I got my dog at a year old. I trained him to sit, stay, and come. I off-leash trained him, and I trained him out of all his destructive habits. In order to train older dogs you have to be willing to dedicate a couple hours every day to training them, over a course of two or three months. And like with any dog, once you train them you have to remain consistant and have the same expectations from them forever. Like little kids, you can't let them get away with anything or else they will keep trying to do it.

I agree with the others. Unless you have the time and dedication to train, walk, play and take care of the puppy, don't get one. Puppies, especially, need a LOT of work. I don't know, you just have to really think it through and consider a lot of things. I'd get a puppy right now, I'm dying to, but I know it's impossible for me to put in the hours it needs of training and maintenance.

Archived