Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: No appetite, but feel like there's a giant, empty hole in my stomach - What's this all about

  1. #1
    Gold Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    634

    No appetite, but feel like there's a giant, empty hole in my stomach - What's this all about

    I'm sitting here struggling to finish a banana!!! Even a gentle and easy to digest food like this is making me feel ill. I am under a decent amount of stress due to a chronic health problem, being unemployed, broke and just got out of a relationship. I'm also living back at home with my mother after many years on my own/in a relationshiip, and it is so depressing.

    I always feel hungry, but when I try to eat something I feel ill. My stomach feels hollow and empty, even when I do eat something. Does anyone know what this feeling is all about? Has anyone ever experienced this type of appetite loss?

  2. #2
    Bronze Member astaro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Age
    37
    Posts
    315
    Gender
    Male
    how much time ago did the appetite problems start?
    it could be that you just haven't eaten enough in quite a while and your stomach just isn't used to digesting food.

    you should probably talk to a nutritionist (family doctor maybe?) who could tell you what kinds of food go easy on the stomech and just eat very small doses throughout the day until your system gets readjusted. (i am positive there are people here with more specific information)

  3. #3
    Gold Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    634
    Originally Posted by astaro
    how much time ago did the appetite problems start?
    it could be that you just haven't eaten enough in quite a while and your stomach just isn't used to digesting food.

    you should probably talk to a nutritionist (family doctor maybe?) who could tell you what kinds of food go easy on the stomech and just eat very small doses throughout the day until your system gets readjusted. (i am positive there are people here with more specific information)
    Thanks for your reply. I started losing my appetite about 3 years ago, actually, but it has fluctuated during that time. Sometimes I have a stronger appetite, but recently I am back to feeling very "blah" about eating. I'm almost forcing myself to eat at this point. I do eat small portions throughout the day, but alas, this has not helped improve my appetite.

    I think I can trace it all back to when many problems started occurring in my life, and things have not improved that much in the past few years so I've never really regained much of my appetite.

  4. #4
    Platinum Member avman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Minnesota
    Age
    50
    Posts
    8,690
    Gender
    Male
    Have you talked to your doctor about this to make sure there isn't something else going on?

  5.  

  6. #5
    Gold Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    634
    Originally Posted by avman
    Have you talked to your doctor about this to make sure there isn't something else going on?
    No, since I'm not working (not by my own choice of course) I do not have any health coverage.

  7. #6
    Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,964
    when I am going through emotional things, I can't eat even when I am hungry. Like you I can be attacked by severe hunger and order/prepare some food and then after 2 bites I am totally full and can't eat anything else. Since I really hate throwing up, I just stop eating rather than forcing myself to a few more bites and then having to run to the bathroom.

    The only solution is to eat lots of small portions throughout the day. I also tend to do better when I eat mainly protein, and cut down a lot on carbs and heavy/fatty/ greasy foods.

  8. #7
    Platinum Member ghost69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Desert
    Posts
    33,100
    Gender
    Male
    i'm no doctor, but sounds like an ulcer.

  9. #8
    Platinum Member waveseer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    11,826
    Originally Posted by penelope13
    when I am going through emotional things, I can't eat even when I am hungry. Like you I can be attacked by severe hunger and order/prepare some food and then after 2 bites I am totally full and can't eat anything else. Since I really hate throwing up, I just stop eating rather than forcing myself to a few more bites and then having to run to the bathroom.

    The only solution is to eat lots of small portions throughout the day. I also tend to do better when I eat mainly protein, and cut down a lot on carbs and heavy/fatty/ greasy foods.
    I am exactly the same when it comes to food as you. Same symptoms, same hatred of puking, same best case diet including frequency.

  10. #9
    Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,964
    currently i am really happy about this 'diet', since I lost nearly all the weight that i gained due to a depression and a few years of a stressful sedetary college degree

  11. #10
    Gold Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    634
    Originally Posted by penelope13
    when I am going through emotional things, I can't eat even when I am hungry. Like you I can be attacked by severe hunger and order/prepare some food and then after 2 bites I am totally full and can't eat anything else. Since I really hate throwing up, I just stop eating rather than forcing myself to a few more bites and then having to run to the bathroom.

    The only solution is to eat lots of small portions throughout the day. I also tend to do better when I eat mainly protein, and cut down a lot on carbs and heavy/fatty/ greasy foods.
    Oh that's terrible. I think maybe this is an emotional thing for me as well. Since I started having many stressful things happen (and all at once), I have lost so much of my appetite. I'm naturally very slender, but losing my appetite recently is not good, because I don't want to start looking unhealthy. Especially I think my face is getting too thin.

    I used to drink Ensure supplement shakes every day to maintain my weight, but I don't want to rely on liquid calories to keep myself fully nourished.


Give Advice
Ask For Advice

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •