Ask For Advice

Thread: Boyfriend won't keep his promises to me anymore, does he even care?

manderslynn

Boyfriend won't keep his promises to me anymore, does he even care?

My boyfriend and I have been together for 3 years now, 4 in June. We use to have a bad addiction to drugs and alcohol and I decided I didn't need that stuff in my life anymore. I had a very bad addiction to alcohol and I'm only 17 to be honest. My friends are starting to get into that stuff and I just can't be by them when it's happening so I don't really hangout with them that much anymore because of that. He told me he would stop for good and I believed him but, then he'll go back on his promises and mess up. I have to be the one that is suffering and always down about it. I've tried talking to him about it but, it just really goes in one ear and out the other, it never gets through to him. It never will it seems like, I don't know what to do anymore, a 17 year old girl shouldn't be going through this.

annie24
    welcome to enotalone. you are right, a 17 year old should not be going through this. break up, immediately, go no contact, move on. please get some counseling for your addiction issues and stay away from people who are bad influences.

Cognitive_Canine
    Platinum Member Cognitive_Canine's Avatar
    He most likely will not change.

agent
    Hi Manders, you're right a 17 year old should not be going through this. At all, not least alone.

People who work with addicts have found that people who are addicts and are in a relationship with an addict are less likely to kick it. So unfortunately, if you are serious about staying clean the best thing you can do it get completely away from people living like that - including your bf.

Sadly, he is an addict. And while he may mean what he says to you when he says it, his addiction is stronger than his resolve - the drugs have more of a hold on him than you do.

Get the necessary help for dealing with your addictions, and I wish you all the best.

Love_Music
    Bronze Member
    Well honestly your boyfriend is probably addicted to that stuff, so he won't change. It can be hard to kick those kind of habits, you have to really want it to end and get help sometimes. I'm happy that you realized that wasn't the life for you. What I suggest is you break up with your boyfriend( I know it will hurt), and go no contact. It will hurt at first, but it will get better, trust me.

Top Threads
How do I broach this conversation?
So over Thanksgiving I reconnected with a man with whom I was very, very close from the end of high school through my junior year of college. Long
She introduced me to her parents so soon. Is this strange?
I met this girl online a few days ago. She invited me over and we did have sex. Her parents came home and she introduced me like I was already her
Feel so mad I want to laugh
So if you guys saw my post the other day, I slept with a manger at my work who used to be my manager and is also quite older than me. We'd been
BF just said:"guys will have sex with anything that moves"
Shocker. Last night when we were about to go to sleep, he said something like "yeah, if there is a hole, guys will slay it. Just have to try it ya
I fear my girlfriend is trying to disguise herself as being single
To keep this as compressed as I can, this woman was dating somebody in August who she was very into. (She made it clear on facebook pretty much every
My boyfriend's ex is activetely trying to win him back...how to deal?
I have been dating an amazing guy for the last 3-4 months. He has an ex wife with 2 children who still wants him back even though they separated
Boyfriend says he can't love again
My bf told me he cannot love because he's been badly hurt by his ex gf and told me to stop wasting my time on something that may not work out. I

Expert Advice
Featured Threads
Tired of Being His Provider??
Okay so I found this site through Google. This seems like a pretty common topic and I suppose I just need to vent. My husband has been unemployed
Beautiful women who works at lush...
So there is this a girl who works at this place. I've been in there twice now and she is a stunner. Its one of those girls who you have to look twice
Being left for another man by my ex girlfriend
My and my ex gf broke up 7 months ago back in late April. We had bad fights and she stated she was unhappy. She then proceeded to have an active
Wondering?
Ok, I posted before about my situation but I would like to further talk. This woman I became involved with 3 years ago TOLD me she had feelings for
Break up Advice Needed
Hi all, I really need some advice on my recent break up with my girlfriend of almost five years. A few months ago I started to feel unhappy and
She's getting ready for marriage. She thinks that it is what I want. My fault.
So, I am pretty much in a difficult situation. I have been with a girl for the past 4 years. In these 4 years, after a while I realized she really
Venting - Advice...?
Hello, Im a 36 year old male, married with 3 kids. My wife and I are pretty much like roommates. There is zero sex life and its from both ends
Ask For Advice