Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 1 of 33 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Is it okay to have friends of opposite-sex?

Is it okay to have friends of opposite-sex?

I'm a female, but I have a lot of male friends, my best friend in the world who I tell everything to is a guy and he has a girlfriend. My boyfriend shows no signs of jealousy of me hanging out with guys and is cool with it and I'm cool with him hanging out with girls cause he has a lot of girlfriends too. We trust eachother.

But, I always hear other people talking about how it's weird of someone who is in a relationship to hang out with an opposite-sex friend, especially alone. In my opinion, that shows a real lack of trust in the relationship. What do you guys think of this?

And what if you're married? I hear people saying that if you're married its just WRONG to hang out with friends of the opposite-sex ALONE. But my best friend and I hang out all the time alone and I dont want that to change when we're married. I think if my husband truly trusts me then he should be okay with it.

Opinions?

Intimate dinners, cuddling to watch a movie at his house, THAT IS A BIG NO.

Lol we don't do stuff like that. We just hang out.

I'm friends with a lot of females, and I see no problem with it. At the same time those friendships normally stay confined to the situation that the friendship was formed, especially if they are married or have boyfriends.

The girls I was friends with at school pretty much stayed school friends, and when we graduated I no longer saw or heard from them. There are exceptions to this, but generally that is what I've found happens.

That's fine as long as you either party doesn't do anything in appropriate and not TOO much hanging out.

At home, alone watching a movie (not cuddling) I wouldn't like, but just chiling at the mall? or a coffee no big deal.

Platinum Member CallingAllAngels's Avatar
    I see no problem with having friends of the opposit sex. I have a very close one myself. If your boyfriend is okay with it, then what is the problem?

Neither me and my boyfriend hang out with the opposite sex alone, or give our numbers out.

Group things are different though.

Originally Posted by Rose21
    Neither me and my boyfriend hang out with the opposite sex alone, or give our numbers out.

Group things are different though.
    How can you 2 trust eachother if you have to put rules and regulations on eachother like that?

Originally Posted by Marissa67
    How can you 2 trust eachother if you have to put rules and regulations on eachother like that?
    I never looked at it as a 'rule or regulation' when I was with my ex... more of a mutual agreement. She started to break the agreement, so I did too. She got really, really hurt (as did I) but I pushed just as far as she did when she wouldn't listen to how badly she was hurting me.

An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind, as they say. Obviously, there were trust issues between us (BECAUSE she was hanging out with guys and not telling me) and we're no longer together.

Originally Posted by Marissa67
    Just becasue there's trust doesn't mean there should be no limits on a 'leash'. I TRUST my boyfriend but I do not want him over at some chicks house "hanging out". I could trust him with my life, and I still wouldn't like that.

I mean if you don't ever let your partner do ANYTHING that's a bit much, but having some limits on what they can or cannot do sometimes has nothing to do with trust.

Page 1 of 33 1234 ... LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice