Punch clocks @ the bathroom starting today!!

glegend

Stating today, at my worplace we are required to punch out for a bathroom break. Two weeks ago, the store had their two handy men come in an install these punch clock systems on the casing of the bathroom door. Last week the guys were back and they cut out the fire-rated metal door that leads into the locker room, and wired it with this system that has a built in alarm. Even worse they repaired the door by screwing on a small piece of sheet metal, that is not even fire-rated. So theres a safety hazard right there.

Basically how it works it, once the systems is enabled, we are going to be required to punch out to go to the bathroom and/or our lockers. We are going to be deducted the amount of time we are in the bathoom/locker room from out weekly pay. To go into the bathroom, we have to use our new name tags that has a UPC on the back. The UPC is linked to our name. We have to scan our cards to go in, and when we come out we have to scan again. If we dont scan the door stays locked. If you can manage to open it, then some sort of alarm goes off.

This place is turning into a prision. Even worse they have implemented these new rules and given us a package to sign, which I still have not handed back.

These rules tell us that we have to:

- Wear blk or dark colored shoes, athletic shoes only if they are clean (I just spend 150 dollars on a new pair of Timberland boots that I purchased for work and work only)

- Punch out and in to go to the bathroom

- Not use the main doors to go in and out the store on breaks/lunches

- Not to leave the property on breaks

- Must be clean shaven and well groomed

- No cell phones for any employeed regardless of title in your pockets on the floor (yet the merchendising manager can talk on his cell while working, )

Theres a fair bit of more rules but these are the main ones.

Again I feel like I am working in a prioson. I dont know what to do, I dont want to quit yet and if I call the labor board cause I have to give my name.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In California we have labor laws that must be posted in common areas for all employees to read. I would go online and finf the labor laws for your province or whatever and print them. Many companies try crap like this without consulting the law and end up having to remove many requirements. The bathroom thing is the only thing here that I see a problem with. The dress code and other rules are reasonable. Don't be bullied.

lost

These kind of rule implementations are usually introduced because of a few workers. Those workers than cause misery for everybody else. I'm in no way saying that you are one of these workers but someone there is. I'd look for another job. Your current workplace clearly doesn't attract the type of people that are team players.

That is beyond ridiculous...

Nothing to do with 'real world' jadedstar.

You can't treat your employees like that, and take away pay for going to the bathroom. Its not prison!

how can they expect their employees to want to work hard for them and respect them if they won't let them go pee??

They shouldn't be surprised if anyone starts looking for a new job.

Haha can you imagine?

*raises hand* umm excuse me, but I have to pee.

or if you are a girl say, "excuse me, I think my tampon is almost full, I feel it leaking a bit.. I need to go change it'

have I just taken the conversation to a compeltely new level?

but its true... if they impose those kind of rules, then they can expect that.

I do agree that the only ridiculous rule is the bathroom one.. and leaving property on your break... if they aren't paying you, then it shouldn't matter where you go when they aren't paying you.

From the Ontario Ministry of Labour's website list of FAQ:

An employee must not work for more than five hours in a row without getting a 30-minute eating period (meal break) free from work. The law does not require an employer to provide any breaks in addition to this eating period. However, if the employer does provide another type of a break, such as a coffee break, and the employee must remain at his or her workplace during the break, the employee must be paid at least the minimum wage for that time.

All the other restrictions that your company has brought in are fairly standard and not against the law.

actually, most companies have a policy that while you are on the clock, you have to stay on the property. Because they are liable for you anytime you're on the clock. If you leave to go to the store and get in a car accident on your 15 minute break, it will be considered as you got in an accident on company time so they have to drug test you, pay for damages/disability, all that stuff.

But punching out to go potty is insanity

Rules like this are usually reactive rather than proactive. What has probably happened is that supervisors and other workers have been complaining about some employees taking frequent and extended bathroom breaks. If a company has a large number of employees it doesn't take a cost accountant to do the math about how much it is costing the company.

Times are hard and are likely to get harder and that is going to hit retail stores as much, if not more, as any other business - so they are going to be looking at as many ways to cut costs as possible. Better get used to it.

glegend - pick up a copy of any Toronto newspaper for today. Ontario, for the first time in history, is going to be the recipient of federal equalisation payments. Hundreds of thousands of manufacturing jobs have left Canada/Ontario and are not coming back.

In a few weeks or months, people are not going to be worried about not getting paid when they take a leak - but worried about getting paid at all.

Can you imagine being a female during that time of the month? Their checks are gonna be seriously cut!

Shameful.....

I agree, that is quite idiotic what they are doing with the bathroom breaks because females need to stay clean, also to be kept fresh, need to change it every couple hours!

Imagine if everyone just didn't work because they refused to have time taken out during bathroom breaks?

actually, most companies have a policy that while you are on the clock, you have to stay on the property. Because they are liable for you anytime you're on the clock. If you leave to go to the store and get in a car accident on your 15 minute break, it will be considered as you got in an accident on company time so they have to drug test you, pay for damages/disability, all that stuff.

But punching out to go potty is insanity

I didn't think he was ont he clock.. he's on break so unless they are paying him, then I don't see why he can't go do cartwheels in the park on his break or lunchhour.

What if he wanted to go to the gym or for a run on his lunch hour? if they aren't paying you, they can't say where you can or can't go

I worked in a place like that and I have a severe intestinal issue. You got 20 mins of bathroom time a week other than your break and lunch. If you took more you were docked off your pay. It was UTTER misery for me and cause an increase in my disease and I had to stop working there altogether. Since being home I am MUCH better!But I used to see people take 25 freakin minutes for their bathroom break.

This happened where I work (I am one of the managers) we had to make sure our employees were clocking in and out for breaks, lunches etc. This happened because of a lot of the workers where taking advantage of breaks and taking longer lunches while others were busting their butt.

I see it this way - if you are doing everything right...ie Taking breaks and lunches as you are suppose to - this isn't a problem. Its those few people that have to cut their breaks from 45mins to 30mins that will have a problem with it because they were taking advantage of it.

Now not being able to leave during your lunch hour - that's strange to me. People take care of personal business sometimes during that time. So not sure why they did this.

Oh yeah and we have the no cell phone using policy too - only if its an emergency. Then you log out and take the emergency call. All other calls can be done on your lunch/break. You have no idea how many people waste company time talking on their cell phone about nothing. This is why these policies are in place. Sucks I know...

Welcome to the real world. I suspect that people there have been slacking off on breaks and the company felt they had not choice but to be more strict.

Yep!!

My old job, since we were running registers in order to take a bathroom break I had to log out (Which took away from my time on the clock). They don't do that to make it like a prison they do that so they aren't losing money because alot of morons like taking advantage of bathroom breaks and say they are going to bathroom to just get away from work.

No offense to you, but you seem to be very oblivious to the real world.. Everything that you don't like seems like a prison to you.

That was the thing I would see people take FOREVER and believe me they were not going to the bathroom! That would pee me off. We had to take bathroom in rotation and if the other person was screwing around everybody had to wait. Not being able to go when I desperately needed to drove me over the edge. A few bad apples always rot it for the bushel.

The place where I work they don't like you going to the toilet in work time but you are aloud to. I'm lucky I have a bladder the size of a football but the guy I work with is always running off the "Drain the main vain". He must have a bladder the size of a Terry's chocolate orange!

Archived