Eye Candy

Cynder

Here are some paintings I've been working on lately. Some finished, some in progress. (In fact some of them may look familiar, because I posted them in prog. before.)

And, as always, any smarmy PMs I get will be trashed and you will be placed on my ignore list. Constructive criticism welcome, imature comments are not.

FINISHED:

image removed

image removed

IN PORGRESS:

image removed

image removed

I saved this one for last because I am open to suggestions about it. I'm trying to comw up with a way to make her look dead without being too over the top and tactless about it. By her I mean the one on top. Yea, since neither of them have faces yet it might not be that obvious who I mean.)

Till next time.

• Like 1

^ Well, actually the live figure is a demon, that's why he's so pale.

She's basically just been screwed to death by an Incubus... In this case it's a compassionate Incubus who feels guilty and sad for her.

But there is also the question... was her death excruciatingly painful or did she die of extacy?

I could pale up her skin tone. It's a good suggestion. The only reason I didn't make her more white is because I don't want her to be whiter then him.

I also thought about having a little bit of blood come out her mouth, like she died of internal injuries. Idk...

Cynder, you really are talented. I love seeing what things you've been working on=)

I'm wondering, for the last one... First off, I think it's going to be GREAT when finished. I'm loving it so far. If she's dead, maybe that would be better portrayed with a grayer, ashen tone?

The first one gives me the creeps (I mean that in the best way possible. I DO really like it!)--it looks like she's about ready to eat your soul.

My favorite is the third one with the monarch. I love how green and tree-like she is.

You really fixed things up well with the first two, that are finished, Cynder! Both of them accomplish I think what you are trying to do -- yeah, that first one is pretty creepy and quite demonic looking. The second, I like what you did with finishing up the negative space, with the bricks.

I do still have a couple of small suggestions though about the first one...didn't you have more light from the clock spilling out onto the surrounding architecture? I seem to recall more cast shadows and incident light on the mouldings around her. So my one criticism of that is that it appears uniformly grey, and very symmetrical, so you might still want to tweak the right and left sides to pick up the glow of the clock, as well as not make it too equal on both sides, for visual interest. Also, her right leg/knee area (our left) still needs a little anatomical adjustment -- you are showing the crease between her thigh and calf but that's more a side view, when in fact we are looking at a front view of the knee. So I think you should get rid of that line, at least.

I think my favorite is the one of the butterfly -- it looks so jungly and has a strong sense of earthiness which I like. Perhaps add in a few more light values here and there for contrast (since it's so dark).

It's hard to comment on the last one since it feels so rough still -- what's going around the figures? I know I always ask you about that, but it's 'cause I always wonder what's happening in the space that's not used. As for the figures, I wouldn't read the figure on top as dead, because she seems to be in a active pose. If anything, she seems like the one that's doing the aggressing. If anything the bottom figure looks to be the more passive one, and they are so androgynous, I don't see the top one as being feminine (faces aside). There's some masculinity in the arm of the Incubus, but neither one looks distinctly female to me and her pose doesn't look to have the slackened look of a corpse. I don't even know if she should be on the top, frankly, if he has overpowered her in some way. I'm not sure what sort of tunic she's wearing...but again, it doesn't reveal any feminine form. I also agree that if she's dead, she should look ashen...or else, use facial expressions and limp, supine body posture to indicate that, instead of flesh tones.

It's too soon to call on that one I think, hard to tell yet...

I just came back here to get another look at that first one... That chicks eyes look like they could burn a hole in anything.

And, as I was looking, something occurred to me. This is on a person note, Cynder. I know a few people here have had real issues with your work and with threads like this. I know I can't speak for them... but honestly, it's probably because they know deep down that you are better at it then they are? Because from what I understand your antagonists are all other artists right?

It's just food for thought. Take their offense as a compliment.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Question for you as an artist. Is it important to you that people see what you were trying to say, or are you intrigued by someone's interpretation that was different?

If people see what I am trying to say, that's great, but I'm not bothered if they don't. I really like hearing others' interpretation. It puts it in a different perspective for me when I know what others see.

Hmm, interesting concept, I like it...

It's sort of got a yin-yang feel to it.

Only, I'm thrown by her garb...it looks kind of like an office work outfit from JcPenny or something, lol.....kind of ordinary and everyday, you know?

Edit: maybe that's the intent though, which would be kinda interesting.

Her clothes are supposed to be reminiscent of the Peplos (don't know how to spell it...) dresses warn in Classical Greece. I don't know how well I pulled it off though. Since you can't see the bottom of the dress it doesn't have the same affect.

Yin Yang was EXACTLY what I was thinking. In the seed of good is evil, and vice versa.

When I started it I debated for quite a while on weather to flip the demon figure around, so instead of a reflection kind of image they will be the exact oposites. I still could do that... I decided on this position because I like the mirror look. But yea, the Yin Yang is there, definitely.