Putting my cat to sleep

HealingHandsWarmHeart

I was in the room and petting him. It is bar-none the hardest thing I have ever had to do. But I look at it like this....

I was there for him throughout his entire life and took care of him...was there to watch him develop and grow into one of the finest companions! Yet, in retrospect it was comforting me that he was born to do and WOW what a great job he did. He was by my side when I was sick, made me feel better when I had a bad day, was friendly when I entered my otherwise lonely apartment, and made sure that my apartment was an INSECT FREE ZONE. I wanted to be there to comfort him in his last moments just like he had comforted me all those years.

Amazing how great these little creatures are and I am sincerely sorry for you having to go through this. It is hard and something you never forget. It is sad to see the life rush out of their body, but I had to be there for him in the end...I owed him that.

One thing is for sure...if pets don't go to heaven...I don't want to go.

Awww...I'm very sorry. I know how tough the decision is first hand.

I always feel I need to be there with the pet. Aside from the fact that you are losing them, it is a relatively peaceful experience. They just seem to drift off to sleep.

I like to be there to pet them and comfort them.

It's hard, but it would definitely bother me more if I were not there.

While i've never been in your shoes with these choices. Think about the kitty as your family. If this was family, would you be there holding their hand if you knew it was their last hour?

If I was in this position, as hard as it would be. I'd be there. Otherwise you may regret it later on. I know for some people, their animals are part of their family. So if it's what you feel you need to, then by all means be there.

I'm sorry you're having to do this.

Being in the field of veterinary medicine, I can tell you that the euthanasia solution used these days is truly much better than past years. It is literally as if they are falling alseep.

I know it's a tough choice, but it is also a very unselfish choice and you are doing it for your beloved kitty. When their quality of life is gone, it is the only humane thing to do for them.

I have to agree, it gives them some comfort being there for them, petting them, talking to them, saying goodbye. It also gives you closure.

So sad. I'm so sorry you are having to go through this.

God Bless

It tears me up, and I cry like a baby, but I always want to be there with them. They spent their whole life with me and we were always there for each other.

It's very painless, a shot. And they go very quickly. Just be warned that they do not close their eyes and on occasion, they may pee or poop.

Well this is a hard one...

I was there when they put my last dog down but, i left the room once they started the procedure. i could not bare to look at her while they were giving the injection.

Tough call!!! If you need to talk you know where to reach me...

I went to this website and made a memorial for her:

link removed

here is the memorial I put up for my last puppy: I still miss her!

link removed

its such a hard decision to make...i guess i always thought that when i had to make the decision to put him down that he would be lethargic and clearly on his way- i never thought that he would still be walking around and looking at me with his big ears all perky and his big eyes.

the hardest thing is that this decision isn't black and white...its very gray ... so its hard to know if you are making the "right" decision or if the time is "right"...

i hope i'm not letting him down ..i hope i'm not cutting his life too short... =(

its such a hard decision to make...i guess i always thought that when i had to make the decision to put him down that he would be lethargic and clearly on his way- i never thought that he would still be walking around and looking at me with his big ears all perky and his big eyes.

the hardest thing is that this decision isn't black and white...its very gray ... so its hard to know if you are making the "right" decision or if the time is "right"...

i hope i'm not letting him down ..i hope i'm not cutting his life too short... =(

Can I ask what is wrong with him?

The only thing I can add to this is what I told my dad when we put bubu down. I told him that if the animal is in pain then we MUST let her go. I would say the same holds true for your cat. If he is in pain then he should be put down as that is the right thing to do. They should not suffer because of our selfish reasons to keep them alive.

he has advanced diabetes- he has lost a lot of weight, he is very weak. He is 10 yrs old.

his life at this point is ...drink, pee and sleep. He doesn't like to play or do anything else.

He walks 3ft and then crashes... no energy.

Add to the fact that i have two younger cats who pick on him so he spends a lot of his time hiding under the bed or defending himself from the other two cats.

This is so sad. however, if you possibly can be in the room to comfort your cat in her last moments then please do make the effort. I think she would appreciate it. I think I would want the same (be surronded by close friends and family)

It is gut wrenching though - my sympathies. I think people who are not animal lovers underestimate the bond between us and our four footed friends.

From what you've said of his status though, it appears as though you are making the kindest choice.

The only thing I can add to this is what I told my dad when we put bubu down. I told him that if the animal is in pain then we MUST let her go. I would say the same holds true for your cat. If he is in pain then he should be put down as that is the right thing to do. They should not suffer because of our selfish reasons to keep them alive.

I don't know if he is in pain or not...but i do know that he really doesn't have the same quality of life he had a year or two ago.

Oh, what a terrible thing and I'm so sorry. The loss of a pet is like the loss of a family member. I would *have* to be there with the kitty. If I wasn't, I'd be so scared she would be afraid and not have a comforting person with her...It will be horrible and it will suck... but honestly, I think being there for your baby cat will be the best thing you could do.

Again, I am sooo sorry. I love my cat more than I like most people.

I don't know if he is in pain or not...but i do know that he really doesn't have the same quality of life he had a year or two ago.

Such a sad disease for cats. It's unfortunately fairly common. He sure doesn't sound as though he is truly enjoying his life anymore and I honestly don't believe you would be cutting his life short. Poor little guy...

Like I said, you are being very unselfish by helping him pass over to the other side.

When my bf had our oldest cat, Tomas, put down this summer, he was there. He loved that cat so much! We both did, he was a most excellent cat! But, he was 21-years-old and his health was fading fast. The vet said he had another day or two if we wanted him to go naturally. He was not playing, or eating, or doing anything but sleeping and crying in pain when he had to move. He had him put down and called me at work to tell me. Softy that he is, he took one last picture of him and saved it for me. This big, tough, manly man cried his eyes out and had Tomas cremated. His box sits on the mantlepiece above our fireplace. He is home, where we want him. I still cry for that cat. I wish I could have been there for one last pet or something.

Thank you everyone... you have all helped me to realize i am making the best decision for him.... which is comforting.

I also think that i am going to stay in the room with him... i don't want him to be scared ..i want him to go knowing that he is loved.

I think you're making the right choice by being in the room with him. It's going to be horrible and traumatic for you, but that kitty will be SO much more at ease with you there.

Archived