LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: narcississm

narcississm

I'm not asking for advice. I was just wondering what people think about the theory that attraction is a form of narcississm.
    I'm not talking about narcissistic people. I'm talking about how many people are attracted to people that are similar to them or even look like them.

Hmm, i would call that compatibility and taste preference, not narcissim. In Sociology they speak about how most people date people with "physical nearness" as in similar on the scale of attraction and as for dating people "like" you that tends to be for compatibility reasons.

I don't think these reasons are narcisstic at all, altho everyone probably has at least a trace of narcissim in them. It would be hard to have NONE, even humble people have some. Some is healthy in that it means a person holds themself in as high a regard as they do other people. The definition is an interest and admiration for oneself. To have ZERO narcissim would render someone with low self esteem.

I think it would be narcisstic to a high degree if the person only dates people who they think are exceptionally hot so as to look good around others but not really caring if that person is likable or compatible to them. That would be more narcisstic IMO. Men do this a lot with women they date and women tend to do it more with guys with power, status and/or money. That to me is narcisstic.

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared
    I think many people are attracted to someone with very similar traits as themself and the same level of attractiveness.

Originally Posted by Victoria66
    I think many people are attracted to someone with very similar traits as themself and the same level of attractiveness.
    Do you think it's a form of narcississm though?
    For example, let's say I love this certain rock band. I find a person that loves that rock band as well and I think, "Wow s/he is so cool!"
    Is that liking the other person, or liking myself? heheheh
    (i know music is a trivial thing, but it's just an example)

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared
    Well we think of being narcississtic as being bad. But I think self love is very important as long as it does not supercede loving others. Hm , no I do not think it is narcississtic, because narcississim is not really based on the realisitic.

Originally Posted by Victoria66
    Well we think of being narcississtic as being bad. But I think self love is very important as long as it does not supercede loving others. Hm , no I do not think it is narcississtic, because narcississim is not really based on the realisitic.
    RIght. I agree. Narcissim is only bad when it is possessed by a person in unhealthy levels.

If we don't love ourselves, who will? LOL

When most people think of the word narcississm they associate it with narcissistic personality disorder. I think those two are very different from each other.
    I think a certain amount of narcississm is healthy.

Well, people are sexually attracted to people with an ego since the lifeblood of most romantic relationships are their ability to feed our egos. If you're dating someone with "no ego" then you will likely find yourself dating "just a friend" in the very near future. Sure, a "nice and lovely friend", but "just a friend" none the less.

Originally Posted by jettison
    Well, people are sexually attracted to people with an ego since the lifeblood of most romantic relationships are their ability to feed our egos. If you're dating someone with "no ego" then you will likely find yourself dating "just a friend" in the very near future. Sure, a "nice and lovely friend", but "just a friend" none the less.
    You might want to elaborate on that. Doesn't quite fit with my definition of ego.

Originally Posted by Creative
    You might want to elaborate on that. Doesn't quite fit with my definition of ego.
    It's merely a component of ego. Rather then asking me to elaborate, you could just tell us what you imagine ego to be, and what you imagine ego not to be. Then we could more easily reach our uncommon ground.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice