Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 200

Thread: Other guys are pissing me off...

  1. #21

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Age
    31
    Posts
    1,183
    Gender
    Female
    LOL that was a great post!

  2. #22

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Age
    30
    Posts
    2,996
    Gender
    Female
    I don't think ALL guys are like this, don't get me wrong. And if guys in my class are talking to me, although I will mention my boyfriend, I will talk to them and not be rude. I'm only rude if they hit on me when I already say I have a boyfriend.

    Like the other day I brought up my boyfriend to this guy in my class, and then he didnt hit on me so we went on to talk about my major, his major, the stupid late policy at my school and how we thought it was weird etc etc. Casual conversation. But again, I wouldn't give out my number or hang out with them.

    It's not something I feel like I'm missing out on, it's just something I don't feel comfortable doing.

    What's interesting is, my mom is doing this foreign exchange program, she teaches german and english and we have this german guy living at our house for 3 weeks. He's my mom's age, and his wife is coming down next week.

    He's fun to talk to. What is interesting is that he JUST got married to his wife, they've been married a year BUT have been together for 22 years! And they see eachother just on the weekends because of her career.

    It's interesting to see the different in cultures, where in America people want to get married early, when in Germany not many people get married.

    I dont want to get married until I'm 25. It may be a little earlier, but not until ATLEAST 23, when I'm out of college.

  3. #23
    Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    50,491
    Why bring up your bf before the person hits on you? It sounds like they are "guilty till proven innocent". Many men, like many women, like to make friends, regardless of the gender. It's also a good way to remind yourself that despite having a bf, you are your own, independent person - injecting "my bf..." gives the impression that you're dependent in a negative way and that you don't have much else going on except that you happen to have a bf-- that is, when it's done constantly.

  4. #24

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Age
    30
    Posts
    2,996
    Gender
    Female
    I bring him up, when they FLIRT with me lol.

    I'm not just like, "I have a boyfriend!" before he even opens his mouth.

  5.  

  6. #25
    Platinum Member Aviatormy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Albuquerque NM
    Age
    38
    Posts
    1,160
    Gender
    Male
    Originally Posted by Rose21
    I bring him up, when they FLIRT with me lol.
    Then why did you say this....

    Originally Posted by Rose21
    I'm only rude if they hit on me when I already say I have a boyfriend.
    The above quote suggests that you tell them before they even think about hitting on you.

    Do you tell EVERY man that talks to you that you are taken? If not, how do you decipher who you tell this to and who you don't? Or are you just sooooo good looking that EVERY man that has a pulse and talks to you, hits on you?

    I really don't think that being hit on should be a complaint. What if you and your BF dont work out in the future and now a guy that was just being friendly with you will never ask you out now because you were so quick to tell him that you are taken?

    I think it is grand that you care for your BF so much to the point to where you do not like other men even thinking about hitting on you but it is not necessary to tell every guy that you are taken. I am sure there are not as many men coming up to you to hit on you then you think.

  7. #26
    Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    50,491
    Most happy, fulfilled couples I know are not blind, notice other attractive people, have no problem with knowing that their significant other is not blind (as long as the noticing is not done in any disrespectful way) and I would have to wonder if the extremes to which the OP goes (in my opinion) to avoid other men to the point where she can only be friends with a man she finds repulsive in some way reflects her devotion to/desire for her bf, or her own need to define herself as "taken".

    I used to be that way at the OP's age - a big part of my identity was "I have a bf" and I wanted everyone to know it. When I got older and I had a bf I took a lot more pride in not needing to announce it or have people know, because I had more than enough going for me and didn't need to count "bf" as some sort of "accomplishment" or reason for me to be valued.

    That's just me - nothing "wrong" with that level of focus but it might come accross oddly to these men who are simply trying to make nice conversation with no ulterior motive.

  8. #27
    Platinum Member Aviatormy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Albuquerque NM
    Age
    38
    Posts
    1,160
    Gender
    Male
    ............
    Last edited by Aviatormy; 10-02-2008 at 07:45 PM.

  9. #28
    Platinum Member Bunney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    1,842
    Gender
    Female
    Originally Posted by Batya33
    I can't relate to your taking pride in shutting yourself off from being friends with an entire gender, or seeing it as a sign of "respect" just because you have a boyfriend,[...]
    Agreed ...

    Originally Posted by jettison
    but this thread also reads like a, "I'm abusrdly attractive, and so is my incredibly hot boyfriend" vanity post. And hey, there's nothing at all wrong with that. Everyone needs little hits to help out their ego from time to time, and it's also good that after calling yourself very attractive, and referring to your boyfriend the same way, that you've provided the photographic proof so that we can't doubt the authenticity of the claims of grandeur.
    ... and agreed.

    I might be wrong but from all your posts about your relationship I kind of get the impression that you're putting eachother on a pedestal and have not much of a life outside your relationship. There is nothing wrong with being friends with people of the opposite sex, same goes for your bf (cause you mentioned it's not necessary for him to make any female friends now that he has you).

  10. #29

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Age
    31
    Posts
    1,183
    Gender
    Female
    Originally Posted by Batya33
    I used to be that way at the OP's age - a big part of my identity was "I have a bf" and I wanted everyone to know it. When I got older and I had a bf I took a lot more pride in not needing to announce it or have people know, because I had more than enough going for me and didn't need to count "bf" as some sort of "accomplishment" or reason for me to be valued.
    I agree. Most people don't care for hearing about others' boyfriends or girlfriends, unless they specifically ask questions about it. Rose you are your own person and you can have so many other things to talk about than your bf to people you've just met.

  11. #30
    Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    50,491
    and I would say there's a lot of things "right" in being open to having male friends- it will help you with your perspective on people, the world, enhance your communication with your bf, expose you to different types of people (not just because they are male), etc. And, yes, if this relationship is not forever - always a possibility - you will have more opportunities to meet men to date (i.e. their friends, not necessarily them). I find that women who have male friends are much more natural when they are trying to meet men to date.

Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •