Do people believe in "positive thinking"?

Traveler27

Recently I had a conversation with someone who was so certain that "positive thinking" would help improve my life and various problems I am experiencing. This is not the first time someone has told me to visualize what I want and then I will get it. Is it just me or is this the most asinine piece of advice to give to someone??

Of course I try to remain positive and I always hang on to hope. Without hope, things would certainly feel a lot more dismal. Yet I find this type of positive thinking so absurd and insulting. Positive thinking is not going to cure my chronic illness, get me a decent paying job, diminish my sadness, heal my broken heart etc. etc.

What are others opinions on this?

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I totally believe in the power of positive thinking. Through out my day i make a point to take time to note the things I am grateful for in my life, even down to the small things. I continuously say how blessed i am and more often than not i take the time to visualize what i want in my life.

I think when you are in a positive frame of mind more good things come in to your life!

I believe in it too. I have been reading a lot of cognitive behavioral therapy stuff, and I truly believe that MOST of our unhappiness is a direct result of how we perceive things. Certainly, some events (the death of a loved one) are just awful, and there's no way to feel good about them, but we CAN change how we think of other things in our lives (even things related to the death).

When I think more positively, I feel better, and when I feel better, people respond better to me, and things seem to just go better. Plus, I think we attract more positive people into our lives when we think/act in more positive ways -- we don't end up drawing loser and abuser types to us.

Plus, I think I look better when I'm thinking positively -- it actually has an effect on my appearance, I think. Weird, maybe, but I really think it's true!

Even I doubt this positive thinking... When a person is going through difficult times would it benefit to think realistically and accept things as they stand or think positively and hope for something better?? Books like "The Secret" heavily emphasize positive thinking but honestly I feel they are causing more harm than good.

Even I doubt this positive thinking... When a person is going through difficult times would it benefit to think realistically and accept things as they stand or think positively and hope for something better?? Books like "The Secret" heavily emphasize positive thinking but honestly I feel they are causing more harm than good.

what is the harm of focusing on the good things you have in your life and imagining what positive things could be in your life? how could that possibly hurt anyone?

I can tell you whenever things looked bad and I envisioned something good I wanted it always came to me. If you assumed good things will happen you will ACT upon the good assumption and create the good you want. If you assume it will be crap, then you INACT and then when it is crap you say " see I told you it would be crap" creating your own negative circumstance.

What are others opinions on this?

Stoicism has been working well for me.

We are hurt most by what we do not expect, so expect everything and count on nothing. "We live in the middle of things which have all been destined to die. Mortal have you been born, to mortals have you given birth. So you must reckon on everything, expect everything."

You have to accept how vulnerable you and everything else in the world is, how precarious it all is. And then go out and try to be the person you want to be. Because when you recognise the worst that can happen, and realise how little it will actually hurt you, you can move ahead with what you were going to do anyway.

I've not explained it incredibly well, but I like it.

Google Seneca. He knew what was what.

I guess it all depends on what your going through in your life cause everyone is different.If all you ever do is get knocked down day in and day out its really hard to maintain a positive way of thinking.If you can do this then you are one of the special ones he can overcome all obstacles that life has put in front of you.

I've tried it both ways, and being positive has reaped far more rewards than being negative.

Re: achievement- look at all the people who have many achievements and are still not happy. I wouldn't say that necessarily breeds positivity.

Being happy and positive is not about what you achieve so much as it is about what you perceive to be achievements. It's different for everyone, and those who perceive things as good are often happier.

"Books like "The Secret" heavily emphasize positive thinking but honestly I feel they are causing more harm than good."

Bravo Grymoire! I think people are really losing touch with reality too, and it's frightening. These self help books make me sick and are capitalizing on people's vulnerabilities. I've just had people telling me this over and over, that I started doubting my beliefs, but it's good to know there are other sane and logical people out there. I tend to be a realist and I think it's protected me from a lot as well.

I've tried it both ways, and being positive has reaped far more rewards than being negative.

Re: achievement- look at all the people who have many achievements and are still not happy. I wouldn't say that necessarily breeds positivity.

Being happy and positive is not about what you achieve so much as it is about what you perceive to be achievements. It's different for everyone, and those who perceive things as good are often happier.

Outstanding post!

so traveler what are your beliefs? if you don't believe in positve thinking and trying to grow and change and better yourself what do you do?

so there's less harm in staying where you are at, stewing in your illness, believing you can't find a job, or get over your heartbreak...you're right no harm in that at all

"We are hurt most by what we do not expect, so expect everything and count on nothing. "We live in the middle of things which have all been destined to die. Mortal have you been born, to mortals have you given birth. So you must reckon on everything, expect everything."

"I think you have to be a certain type of person to like it though"

I like it, agent. I am that type of person who understands and appreciates this. Thank you for sharing.

"Books like "The Secret" heavily emphasize positive thinking but honestly I feel they are causing more harm than good."

Bravo Grymoire! I think people are really losing touch with reality too, and it's frightening. These self help books make me sick and are capitalizing on people's vulnerabilities. I've just had people telling me this over and over, that I started doubting my beliefs, but it's good to know there are other sane and logical people out there. I tend to be a realist and I think it's protected me from a lot as well.

So I guess a good follow-up question would be, to all those who posted that yes, they believe in the power of positive thinking, are you happy and are good things happening in your lives? And how about those that don't believe in it?

I'm going to stick with what I see working for others, and what has worked for me.

This is actually all very funny- a negative thread about positive thinking?

I believe in the power of positive thought and visualization...it's as simple as setting goals for yourself, having dreams and imagining what you want your life to look like in the future. However, a person can't expect something to come to them soley through doing this....you have to be willing to perform the work necessary to achieve what you want.

There is nothing truer then this. Perception is literally everything. There are pro athletes out there whose team just lost a championship game, and they are despondent and down beyond repair. They wreck relationships, get into gambling debt, turn to drugs, and just generally wreak havoc on their lives. We are talking about a person who has reached the ultimate success for their endeavors, and still, happiness cannot be found.

The most bitter, most angry people I know also tend to be the very richest. I know plenty of them - miserable people who "have it all".

And if you've every seen footage of remote African villages, you often see the denizens of these communities with huge smiles on their faces, not a depressed one among them. It's only in modern society that anyone ever contemplates suicide because "comparison is the root of all evil" and each of us feels like we must keep up with the Joneses or else we become failures. And when we succeed? Nothing fails like success.

It's those that have a lot that feel most like they never have enough, and also have so much more to lose, and thereforee, experience even greater anxiety.

Archived