"best 4 years of your life"? Yeah right...

alphabetsoup13

i can't really put together coherent sentences right now, so i'm just going to list some points.

1) I am a sophomore at a fairly prestigious university

2) I went through an extremely heartbreaking break up this past summer (my gf and i went to different schools). I'm over her but I have trouble meeting/flirting/finding any girls attractive at my school.

3) I am not unattractive but i wouldn't consider myself extremely attractive. I am not very muscular and not the tallest guy out there (5'9''). I have been feeling a bit down by my failure to garner any interest whatsoever from the female persuasion.

3) I wasn't involved with too much stuff on campus last year and didn't really get into the whole school spirit, but this year I am much more involved and have more friends. However, the things that i did in high school and gave me a great sense of fulfillment give me absolutely no pleasure here.

4) I am a very friendly person and i make friends easily, but my best friends go home on the weekends so I often just sit in my dorm all weekend doing nothing.

5) I've never been to a college party and I don't drink.

6) I definitely don't need to or expect to gain the same level of popularity i had in high school but I was one of the most popular kids at my high school and it's been kinda a shock going from being one of the more popular students to being nobody. It's especially weird considering my high school had over 5,000 students and my university is smaller than my high school.

I am by no means ungrateful for the things i have, i thank God everyday for everything i have been given/given the opportunity to work for, it's just that I don't understand why i feel this way.

I think a lot of people will weigh in here and say that college was not the best four years of their lives. I know for me, college was not what the media told me it was supposed to be. I was still too insecure and unsure of myself at that point in my life. It sounds like you are doing what you need to do to make it better by getting out and joining activities, so that's positive. Just don't feel like it has to be some monumental experience. And stick to your non-drinking stance. That's a great thing. Eventually, things will fall into place.

The only thing I would change if I were you is the staying in your dorm on weekends because the friends are away. Try to find something to do on weekends, even if it's just volunteering or joining another group on your own. You could also try to think of yourself as more attractive, because if you don't, nobody else will.

Archived