Are anniversaries a big deal when you're not married?

allypally

I'm interested to know what people think on this one.

A friend of mine has been with her bf for a year, he thought their anniversary was in July when it was in fact in August and when she corrected him he still didn't buy her flowers or do anything special.

She has now gone back to her home country to stay with her parents but she texted me because she was so upset.

Is her bf really that serious about her? He rarely tells her he loves her.

Our 1 year anniversary is next month - I am wondering if we'll do something special.

My flatmate has gone to Italy with his bf. They had champagne before they left, and they gave eachother special presents. My flatmate's bf who is a big earner paid for the whole trip, all my flatmate had to bring was spending money.

They have a great relationship and are good at communicating.

I think anniversary dates are very important even when not married....and by anniversary I mean 1 year, 2 years etc...not one month, two months... I don't think the giving gifts is important, what is important is recognizing the day because it adds to the growing bond between two people. I don't think anything extravagant has to happen, like a weekend getaway or whatever...but just some little token acknowledgement of the day...a cute note, a phone call, a little inside joke..something subtle and not over the top. That to me is more romantic than the overblown celebration.

I think anniversaries aren't that important to some people. My bf can't even tell you my birthdate, much less our anniversary. It's not that important to me that he doesn't remember, just that he's still there after all these years. I've even forgotten the exact date of our first meeting. I know it was in November, but that's all. There are more important things out there than anniversaries, trust me.

A friend of mine has been with her bf for a year, he thought their anniversary was in July when it was in fact in August and when she corrected him he still didn't buy her flowers or do anything special.

She has now gone back to her home country to stay with her parents but she texted me because she was so upset.

Personally I don't do "anniversaries".....I think its ridiculous unless you're married.

to me and my bf yes it is important.

to me specially since i never had a relationship last more then a year (so far). we even celebrate monthly anniversaries. ok.. not perse CELEBRATE, but we do remember them and tell each other how great it has been so far, etc. no gifts, but sometimes we go out in light of the date. i don't think we would remember our anniversary if we didn't celebrate it monthly. it's so easy to forget dates over the course of time.

i think anniversaries without being married are equally special, especially if you hope to marry your partner someday and are glad to be with them.,

I think anniversary dates are very important even when not married....and by anniversary I mean 1 year, 2 years etc...not one month, two months... I don't think the giving gifts is important, what is important is recognizing the day because it adds to the growing bond between two people. I don't think anything extravagant has to happen, like a weekend getaway or whatever...but just some little token acknowledgement of the day...a cute note, a phone call, a little inside joke..something subtle and not over the top. That to me is more romantic than the overblown celebration.

+1

I'm not big on presents for things like easter, valentines or anniversaries (giving or receiving), which is just a byproduct of how my family is, but I do think that classic or thoughtful stuff like chocolates/flowers/something that means something to the two of you can go a long way.

Like, this wasn't for any particular day, but a while back I found a little flat stone that was naturally shaped like a heart, so I carved my gf and my names in it , and smoothed and polished it.

Snuck it under her pillow with a little note next time I went round to see her, and got a call a little while later (she was pretty happy lol). /sidetrack, I don't put any particular importance on specific dates, but I think that little things like can certainly earn you points lol...

Just my 2 cents.

unless married there is no real anniversary IMO

I like anniversaries and think they should be celebrated in some small way. Our first anniversary we were still in the clouds, still in that honeymoon stage. Reality set in shortly after the second anniversary, and we've definitely had to work hard at keeping things light and lively sometimes. Neither of us has ever had a relationship last to three years, so the third anniversary is important to both of us. I don't know if we'll do anything special. I would love a sweet card and maybe some flowers, nothing big.

If anniversaries only refer to marriage, I guess we shouldn't be celebrating the 10th anniversary of the opening of a cancer centre...or the 50th anniversary of a thriving business, or marking the 5th anniversary of a tragic event....etc. An anniversary is the commemoration of a particular day of the year that something noteworthy happened. Married couples celebrate their WEDDING ANNIVERSARY. It is perfectly reasonable for other couples to celebrate the anniversary of when they first started dating...or whatever anniversary is noteworthy to them.

Anniversaries give perspective, but do not "buy" into the advertising of needing to get flowers, jewelry. Maybe take her out to eat, treat her well, and reassure you that even though it's been so long you're still in love.](*,)

Im engaged now but our one year dating anniversary passed before we got engaged. To celebrate it, he took me out to dinner to a really, really romantic restaurant and we had a gorgeous meal together. We also surprised each other with some rather long poems that we had written for each other (neither of us knew the other was writing a poem so it was a really lovely surprise when we exchanged them). To this day when I read his poem I get tears in my eyes at the amount of thought and effort he put into crafting those words.

Of course you should celebrate it - why on Earth not?

Anniversaries give perspective, but do not "buy" into the advertising of needing to get flowers, jewelry. Maybe take her out to eat, treat her well, and reassure you that even though it's been so long you're still in love.](*,)

I hope you arent the type who doesnt "buy into" advertising when it comes to spending money on your partner - but are happy to "buy into" advertising when it comes to spending money on yourself.

Women don't love flowers and jewelry because they are advertised - we love them cause their beautiful to look at and we feel good around flowers or wearing jewelry.

I feel really sad for women with partners who don't appreciate that.

I mean for gods sake - if they launched a decade long add campaigne which saw gorgeous looking handsome men try to romance their partners with giant and expensive cockroaches - I don't think we'd all be hoping our men would buy us similar cockroaches.

It's not all about the advertising - advertising caters to what we want just as much as our wants are fueled by advertising. Its not fair to ignore half of that equation

Archived