My dog won't sleep in my bed anymore

hers

I know this sounds trivial to many, but I love when my dog sleeps in my bed with me, b/c it's so sweet and cute. But the last few months, she hasnt wanted to and only gets in bed to wake me up in the morning by standing on my boob and blowing snot in my face (not the best way to wake me up).

She's gonna be 6 next week, and I think she's in her "teenage" years. She's always slept with me, in cold weather and hot weather, usually up against me for the better part of the night, sometimes moving to the floor or a chair, but most of the night wiht me.

One of my clients gave me a piece of memory foam to use as a dog bed that he uses for his dog, so she has a really comfy dog bed, but this started before I got that for her.

I try to get her to lie in bed wiht me by making her get up and get in bed, talking to her, lying with her on her bed, petting her, begging her (sad), etc. Sometimes she'll get up, lie down for a sec, look at me, then get down and get on her bed. Sometimes when I get home, I find her sleeping on my bed. So I know my bed is comfy to her, but why won't she sleep with me?

Anyone offer advice? Reason? I miss my baby girl!

For the record, she's a 60-lb boxer.

Yes, I'm a single nerd who needs that closeness at night! She's my spooning buddy.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My dog used to sleep on my bed when I stayed at my gran's house. He had his own bed at my mum and dad's so I never had him on my bed then. But he would always jump off and want his own bed after a while. Or just jump on in the morning for a snooze. May they are like humans and sometimes need their own space. When me and my boyfriend cuddle at night we usually part at some point to go to actual sleep because we can't sleep cuddled up together. Maybe your dog likes her own space now?

Actually, at 6 that is a middle aged dog, not a teenager. They're officially considered an 'older' dog at 7.

Perhaps he is getting a little arthritis and the memory foam is so comfortable it feels better down there. I have a memory foam bed that i adore. It also tends to keep you really cool and dogs like sleeping on cool surfaces.

I love my memory foam bed so much that i hate to sleep on anything else once i got it, so perhaps the dog feels the same way too.

Dogs also do like their own spots. I have three dogs, and they each have preferred places to sleep, and when they're ready for a really good night's sleep, that's where they go.

Thanks for the replies everyone!!

When I say teenage years, I mean like a teenager, she must be too cool to sleep with mom (like how some teenagers don't want to be seen with their parents!!)

I considered that maybe it helps her hips bc boxers do have joint problems at times, but she doesn't seem arthritic--she still has tons of energy and runs around a lot and never seems in any pain or like she just hurt something. What are some signs of arthritis in dogs?

Before I had the memory foam bed, I had a large chaise lounge chair that she slept on (bought it for myself but only got to sit in it once...). Shed sleep in that mostly but would still willingly get in bed with me. I guess the memory foam is too comfortable for her though!

If I really want to cuddle, I have to say "leeluu, you want a bath?" Bc she hates baths and comes to cuddle me to "butter me up" so she doesn't have to get one. I don't do that often though bc I think its torturous to tease her for my own gain haha.

She didn't sleep with me at all last night I'm not a tosser/turner, and I'm a light sleeper so if anything, I had to move her sometimes so I could sleep comfortably (she used to be such a cuddler that she'd sleep directly on me). I dunno--makes me sad!!I love her so much and just want to spoon!!

Arthritis comes on slowly... at first there is stiffness in joints, then a little pain, then over time it gets worse. So you may have no clue that it has been coming on, other than changes in behavior.

And think about how high a bed it... it is like you having to jump onto something twice as tall as you are... dogs are more athletic, but it still requires a lot of effort and stress on muscles and joints.

You can buy ramps or steps for beds so dogs can more easily climb up. You could try that and see if he will come up more.

Dogs are also very sensitive to smells... have you changed laundry detergent or fabric softener, bleached anything (they hate that). Try putting your bed clothes thru an extra rinse cycle. I've noticed that my dogs really don't like some fabrics or comforters/quilts vs. others. They love 100% cotton or wool. I think polyester and some other fabrics must stink to them their noses are so sensitive.

But he could just love his memory foam....

My bed sits on the floor-- I don't have it on a bed frame-- so its not tall at all. She can step up on it like she would stairs.

I use no scent detergent for clothes and sheets bc I'm allergic to the perfumes.

She still gets on my bed when I'm not home though bc I will come home and find her sleeping on it.

Hm she must really like her bed. Sigh

When she sleeps where does she go? Even female dogs will take on the role of alpha male in a relationship. Are you the dominate "male" in the pack? She may consider herself the dominate one now and dominate dogs don't cuddle up with less dominate dogs. She might expect you to go sleep next to her instead of the other way around. This may be why she sleeps on your bed when you are not around.

I am of course the dominate "male" with my dog and he follows me everywhere wanting praise and attention to make him feel like he is making me happy. This is pack mentality and it is deeply embedded inside them. She has to want to sleep next to you unless you train her to stay in bed until you release her to leave.

lost

She's never really been like that till recently though. She's very much attached to me and she's only really alpha around other dogs. Otherwise she's very obedient to me and does what I say. The sleeping issie is just a few months old. Can it change like that if it is an alpha issue?

I have a standing AC unit that blows right at my bed and a standing fan that does too. I considered that maybe its cool for her but she just doesn't like the air blowing right on her. But if I turn it off to see if that's it, she still moves.

I guess its either she doesn't like cuddling or just loves her bed now. Such a bummer...I sleep better when she's in bed with me.

When I had my ex's dog last week, he cuddled with me the whole time (ex doesn't allow him in bed). That dog was under my arm all night (but he kicks in his sleep--so cute).

i get sooo bummed out when Cat won't sleep with me. She used to every night (I sleep on my side and she would sleep on my hip..literally ON me) and on cold nights, she'd go under the blankets and snuggle.

I'm with ya on the lonely, hate sleeping alone part. I always put cat on the bed with me but she gets bored and sleeps on the floor

i get sooo bummed out when Cat won't sleep with me. She used to every night (I sleep on my side and she would sleep on my hip..literally ON me) and on cold nights, she'd go under the blankets and snuggle.

I'm with ya on the lonely, hate sleeping alone part. I always put cat on the bed with me but she gets bored and sleeps on the floor

If only they knew how much we needed them

Has she had a vet visit lately? NOt to alarm you but when dogs break a routine like this, and DOGS LOVE routine, sometimes there is an underlying health problem. I couldn't tell you what because it could be anything, but i would suggest a trip to the vet just for a good once over.

Dogs don't typically change routine like humans do. If they do, there are usually health reasons for it.]

She also woulnd't be a teenager. She has long passed that stage. At six she is on her way to being a senior doggie. Even more so if she is a large breed, which i assume she is.

Has she had a vet visit lately? NOt to alarm you but when dogs break a routine like this, and DOGS LOVE routine, sometimes there is an underlying health problem. I couldn't tell you what because it could be anything, but i would suggest a trip to the vet just for a good once over.

Dogs don't typically change routine like humans do. If they do, there are usually health reasons for it.]

She also woulnd't be a teenager. She has long passed that stage. At six she is on her way to being a senior doggie. Even more so if she is a large breed, which i assume she is.

Hm, I didn't consider the health thing! Thank you for bringing that up!

I only say "teenage" years b/c she reminds me of a teenager b/c she's too cool to sleep with mom! It's the funny way I have to comfort myself.

Hm, I didn't consider the health thing! Thank you for bringing that up!

I only say "teenage" years b/c she reminds me of a teenager b/c she's too cool to sleep with mom! It's the funny way I have to comfort myself.

I'd look into the arthritis/joint issue. It could be she is just not feeling well enough to jump on the bed. I assume she gets on and off herself, right? That wuold be painful for a dog who is experiencing joint pain. Dogs who love sleeping with their owners usually dont want to give that up. That is their bonding time and they love it. I feel she must have something going on if she suddenly stopped this. If you help her up there on the bed, does she stay? Or get down?

And if that is the case she need not suffer. You can actually give glucosamin chondrotin to dogs (spelling??). But you need to consult a vet for their recommendation tho to 1) be sure that is what it is and 2) see if they suggest that or something else.

Archived