So my dog was put down a few hours ago :(

Whiskers

My dog a German Shepherd, who'd been struggling for some time with a cough that we couldn't clear, has been struggling this last two weeks.

I took her to the vet 2 weeks ago who said she had a temperature and had lost too much weight, they promptly gave her a shot and later that day she was doing better. Not only was she coughing less, she was eating. Though admittedly I fed her nice things like chicken with all the fat and what not - under the vets permission. He said whatever she eats, give it to her.

I managed to get her onto a mix of chicken and her normal food, but wouldn't eat for anyone else.

She put on about 3 kilos in a weekend and it looked to be good - but for that sodding cough!

Her chest has gotten worse and this last days she wouldn't touch her food.

Today we took her back to the vets for a checkup, he kept her, xrayed her lungs and rang us that afternoon to tell us that she was not going to get better and she was suffering. The decision was surprisingly easy - I don't...we don't, want her to suffer like this and they couldn't make her comfortable or give her anything to help - so they put her down.

I am still at work. I will only see the grave. I prefer it that way. Since she is a family dog it's not that she would feel put out without my presense as this is routine for me to be out of the house in the morning and then return.

I miss her, I won't lie...I form attachments to few but she was beautiful...such a personality.

Bye Sheebies.

Thanks for listening!

I'm so so so sorry. Losing a pet is horrible. They're wonderful companions who never judge. They don't care what mood you're in, what you look like, what you work at, they love you regardless.

I still cry for a pony that was put down nearly two years ago now.

I'm so sorry.

Give yourself the time needed to mourn the loss of your pet. Not everyone understands the significance of it, but don't let anyone make light of it. Look after yourself.

I am so sorry, it's such a tough thing to lose a dog. The hardest part of having dogs is they can't live long enough.

I have had and lost many dogs but I have three very special ones in my heart. They will always be with me, their devotion was unequaled.

Remember yours also, it enriches our life, dogs love us in a way no other creature can.

When some one tells you that you can't buy love, they haven't been a dog owner. That moment of adoption or purchase has been your one opportunity to "buy" the purest love there is. Wouldn't it be a better world if we could all be more like our dogs?

I feel for you. I generally do not dwell on much of anything too long, I cry and get it over with. But pets, that's something else entirely! I lost two cats this year and I still cry over them both. Losing that unconditional love and loyalty is soooo hard! I think animals are closer to God than we are in some ways. My thoughts are with you.

I'm so sorry. I recently lost a family pet, a sheltie named Sunny, of about 13 years. It's always hard to watch them suffere, and even harder to let them go. I really feel for you. *Hugs*

You know what makes me feel better, is I found a ceramic sheltie that was painted to look similiar to my dog. I know of lots of artists that will do a portrait off of a phototgraph. I look over at my little ceramic sheltie and I remember Sunny for a moment.

Hang in there, things will get better. Allow yourself to grieve. You did the right thing.

Thank you all for your warm replies, it helps.

I put a picture of her up, one where she had pulled a quilt off the sofa and over to the Bean chair and curled up with both...the cheek!

She's buried near the cherry tree in the front garden, but I am pretty sure she is out running round the fields catching birds with our last dog King!

Thank you again

XXXX

Thank you all for your warm replies, it helps.

I put a picture of her up, one where she had pulled a quilt off the sofa and over to the Bean chair and curled up with both...the cheek!

She's buried near the cherry tree in the front garden, but I am pretty sure she is out running round the fields catching birds with our last dog King!

Thank you again

XXXX

I sent you the link to the Rainbow Bridge...I don't know if you have ever seen it before, but it is beautiful....I believe all animals go there.

Allie

Hey Whiskers,

I'm really sorry about your loss.

Your profile picture got me all choked up.

Take care.

Thank you, she was really beautiful and the profile picture is when she wanted attention at Christmas and came over (the Christmas paper in her collar in a joke - she LOVED to be dressed up)

XXXX

Sorry to hear of your loss Whiskers. I lost my beloved Sasha, a german shepard sheltie mix this past March. I still miss her and think of her everyday. Our pets are like family. Hugs.

Thank you, appreciate it.

I had to walk somewhere to day and I think she was with me, so sure I could feel her fur.

Our Springer has been sick twice today and we are pretty sure he's missing her badly...he is so out of sorts.

XXXX

Archived