Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Seriously, i'm not selfish and materialistic but......

If the guy is making you feel guilty, he shouldn't be asking in the first place. If I don't have a job/money, I don't ask people out. Its common sense.

Originally Posted by Victoria66
    That is so true, having an education is no gaurantee of intelligence. There are plenty of intelligent people that did not have the opportunity.
    yeah but between two people who are as smart as each other, the diploma/education will choose who will more likely make more money in the future.

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared
    For the most part this is true. But I have seen people make A LOT that started with zip and no education. I know it is not the rule, I guess you just have to see the qualities of the individual.

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by annie24
    i guess, everyone wants to feel special. i don't feel really special if i feel like i am depriving a poor grad student of his rent money. or if a guy asked me out for dinner, then is not ready to pay the bill himself.

of course, i've also dated grad students who didn't let me pay for anything. one guy, i had to pretty much INSIST i even get his coffee (after he treated for dinner).

Well, some grad students are living on loans, and some grad students are living on savings, and some grad students are living on trust funds.

Your restaurant story made me think of one other thing, though-- if I am being "treated" to dinner, I expect to be able to choose whatever I like off of the menu. If he was so concerned, he could have looked at the menu before going inside, among other things.

I'd rather go to Chez Cheap, and choose my dinner than have someone tell me that I could ONLY get pizza, and that no, I couldn't have the single glass I chose, but instead had to settle for the house wine (a suggestion from the menu? sure. a suggestion to split a bottle? okay. a lack of options presented to me? No, thanks.)

Originally Posted by odile
    Well, some grad students are living on loans, and some grad students are living on savings, and some grad students are living on trust funds.

Your restaurant story made me think of one other thing, though-- if I am being "treated" to dinner, I expect to be able to choose whatever I like off of the menu. If he was so concerned, he could have looked at the menu before going inside, among other things.

I'd rather go to Chez Cheap, and choose my dinner than have someone tell me that I could ONLY get pizza, and that no, I couldn't have the single glass I chose, but instead had to settle for the house wine (a suggestion from the menu? sure. a suggestion to split a bottle? okay. a lack of options presented to me? No, thanks.)

Let me tell you my experiences with dating: I've always been taken to nice restraunts and had everything I ordered paid for. It just happened this way. I always enjoy dates...I have only had one date where I wasn't happy and it was b/c someone set me up on a blind date by saying, "oh he's coming tonight, I already told him about it."

Yea totally. I'd be happy even going to a dollar store to pick out candy/toys/food for a cute date than to be told what to eat, if he's the one taking me out. When I go on a date I go to a place that I can afford.

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by fragmint
    yeah but between two people who are as smart as each other, the diploma/education will choose who will more likely make more money in the future.

I think this may be true in some cases, but not all. It certainly depends on a number of factors: what area of study the diploma was in,
    where the diploma was issued (if we're going to talk about people having an 'edge' based on a piece of paper, then yes, this does make a difference!)
    what field of work one seeks a career in,

gender (sad, but true)... the list could go on forever.

Interesting that this should have been posted on the same day that this thread was and that many of the responses are so very different when money is the issue but the genders are reversed:

I think this may be true in some cases, but not all. It certainly depends on a number of factors: what area of study the diploma was in,
    where the diploma was issued (if we're going to talk about people having an 'edge' based on a piece of paper, then yes, this does make a difference!)
    what field of work one seeks a career in,

gender (sad, but true)... the list could go on forever.
    well of course there are exceptions, but if we had to include exceptions on all our statements i think we'd get nothing done in our discussions on here lol. and in real life, how many people who want a comfortable life would honestly be willing to bet that an uneducated person can make more than the next educated person in the same field? all you have to do is go up the list of jobs in the company and the first time you see 'degree required', you wouldve lost the bet.

Platinum Member
    ah, fragmint, but you never mentioned "same field", you said:
    "yeah but between two people who are as smart as each other, the diploma/education will choose who will more likely make more money in the future."

(no, i'm not a lawyer, i just play one on t.v.)

Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice