What should I do with my cat?

Anotherday

What to do with my cat...my dog died and my cat is a painful reminder that my dog was the one to die, which I am angry over. Plus, I look at all the years in front of me and it bothers me to come home to my house with just the cat here.

He is seven years old and probably too old for adoption. I don't want him euthanized. I realize this is probably painful for him too, but maybe if he were not here I'd be able to move past my dog's death, which has absolutely devastated me. He and I were so close and I just don't have the same bond with the cat.

What should I do?

why on earth would you get rid of the cat? Dont do that!! He is probably down that his companion is gone as well. Your bond will grow. Don't get rid of your cat just b/c you're grieving your dog.

If you lost a child, you wouldn't get rid of the other child b/c it was a reminder, would you?

I understand that you are very upset right now. The poor cat loves you even if you didn't love him as much as the dog.

I know you are grieving your dog right now but please do not rehome your cat because of it.

Maybe you could consider getting a puppy? The cat will probably accept the puppy as being a new friend and it might help both of you.

Do you really think getting rid of you cat will solve the problem? I guarantee you that if you get rid of your 7 year companion, you will miss him.

Believe it or not, animals also mourn. I am sure your cat is mourning the loss of your dog as well, and is wondering where he went.

Why not try comforting him? Just sit down next to him and pet him until he purrs? Studies have shown that petting a a cat lowers blood pressure not only for the OWNER but also for the CAT.

Won't you try it?

My deepest sympathy to you. I had dogs before my divorce and had to leave them with my Exhusband. I have 2 Cats I would not trade for the world.

My very best to you.

~Allie

I have to disagree. If you are feeling anger toward your cat, to the point that you have considered (albeit rejected) euthanizing him, it would be better if your cat found a new home. As you say, that isn't so easy. Look for a cat rescue organization or a no-kill shelter. Your grieving issues need to be addressed, but if you are feeling hostile toward the cat, it would be better for both of you to find it a new home and make a clean start.

I'm not sure what to say to you, really. Reading this post breaks my heart.

My beloved 14-year old cat is dying of cancer, and I would give just about anything to be able to come home to "just her" if only she could get better. She won't, though. I understand that you've lost your dog, and that's very painful for you, but your cat deserves love and a good home, too.

I am of a different opinion than the other posters: If you know that you can't give the cat love it deserves, you should give it to someone who can. Please, at least give it to a good home (and be sure it's a good home before you make the decision), rather than a shelter, unless it's a no-kill shelter. Otherwise, the poor thing will be euthanized, and he does NOT deserve that.

I'm sorry that you see the cat as a reminder of your lost dog and feel you can't bear to keep him; for me, it would be a comfort to have another pet to care for.

I can't think of what else to say...it's been painful for me to even write this much. I hope you'll do what's best for the cat. He deserves a good life with lots of love.

Aww, what is your cats name?

I understand the grief you are going through, and respect that.

IMO, don't get rid of your cat, embrace him. Animals know when something dies, and i'm sure your cat LOVES you. Imagine how you'd feel coming home to not only no dog, but no cat. The loss of your dog was not the fault of you or your cat.

I have to disagree. If you are feeling anger toward your cat, to the point that you have considered (albeit rejected) euthanizing him, it would be better if your cat found a new home. As you say, that isn't so easy. Look for a cat rescue organization or a no-kill shelter. Your grieving issues need to be addressed, but if you are feeling hostile toward the cat, it would be better for both of you to find it a new home and make a clean start.

I agree with this poster fully.

You will still be left with your grief over the death of your dog even if you find a new home for your cat.

Having been used to 2 pets being around, I'd hazard a guess coming home to a petless house will hit you harder than you think, and then you will be dealing with 2 losses instead of one.

It almost sounds as if you are trying to blame the cat for your dog's death and/or the way you are feeling now.

I think a better course of action might be to try to find a pet berevment support group. Even an online community might work. Your vet might know of one in your area. Once you deal directly with your grief, I think you will be in a much better place to make an objective decision about keeping your cat or finding another home for the cat.

ummm WHAT?! First, let me start by saying I am really sorry about the loss of your dog. I know all too well about the pain of losing a pet you love dearly. I've gone through it one too many times. Nothing makes it better. BUT why does it sound like you are blaming your CAT? Your cat has nothing to do with your dogs death. If you feel so strongly about this (for whatever reason...) do your cat a favor and give him to someone that actually WANTS it. Your cat deserves love too. Your cat did nothing wrong. I have lost many animals that I loved dearly, but I have never once even thought about getting rid of my other animals because they were a painful reminder of the animal that I did lose. I love all my animals dearly. So please, either start loving your cat the way it DESERVES to be loved, or please give it away to a good home that will want it and love it no matter what.

Yes, I have rethought things. I realize it's not Gwen's fault that Teddy is gone. I also notice he is eating less and seems sad. I've told him it's just he and I. Of course I would never allow him to go to the Humane Society and be euthanized. I have asked three people if they want him, but no takers.

I just think I am angry and going through the process of losing my beloved dog. It's funny, but in the last minutes of my dog's life, he wanted to be with the cat. I kept bringing him into the room I was in, but all he wanted to do was be with the cat, so I let him spend his last few minutes with the cat, as hard as that was.

I'm not a bad person, but I'm not a cat person either. I've cried over giving a cat away, mind you. But the bond I had with my dog was incredible.

I'm more a dog person than a cat person, i'll admit that first hand, but i've had more cats than dogs (I only have my cat at the moment) but I don't love them any less. And if I thought for a second that anything would make me resentful and not be able to love and care for my cat properly, that they NEED, i'd give them to someone that WOULD love and take care of their needs. its only fair to THEM. I have lost both dogs and cats, and neither of their losses were any less painful. Maybe its the animal lover in me, but, I think, if you are going to have a pet, you NEED to make 100 % sure before you have one that , NO MATTER WHAT, you will be able to LOVE and TAKE CARE OF THEIR NEEDS. Just like a child. YOU took them in, supposedly willing to love and take care of them. You cant just change your mind when times get hard. If that is the case, you need not have any pets at all. This is not a game. These animals need love, just like any other living creature. Whether you like it or not. And if you can't give that to them, please do yourself and especially them a favor and give them to someone that WILL love and appreciate and take care of them like they DESERVE.

Archived