Non-smoker craving cigarettes

I've been a nonsmoker all of my life (Well, I never smoked cigarettes). My parents both smoked cigarettes and I HATED it.

Lately, after I had my son a year ago I have been finding myself having strange cravings for cigarettes. I can't really put it into words- except to say that when I am on my way to work in the morning with the window down, I just feel like having a cigarette with my coffee, so badly. Something about it just seems like it would be relaxing to inhale it and slowly blow it out. Weird huh?

I should make it clear that I will NEVER, EVER start smoking, I don't need to be convinced not to do it- I know how bad it is, and I will never start smoking. But I'm just wondering if any other non-smokers have found themselves suddenly craving the idea of smoking????

I find the whole thing very strange because I have always been revolted by cigarettes- yet this actually feels like a biological craving of some sort. I'm perplexed.

same thing has happened to me recently. My coworker was smoking a special kind of cigarette that was almost like a cigar. It just smelled so sweet and when he offered me a smoke I actually had to think to myself "woah, whatcha doin?!" to keep me from taking him up on that offer.

I would never smoke in my life either. His brand just seems so appealing to my senses.

I don't smoke cigarettes, but I have a friend who smoked like a chimney for years. And after I'd hung around with her, I'd crave a cigarette. Bloody passive smoking.

But sometimes I've thought that I'd like to take up the evil weed just to do it. But I'm not going to, it's just one of those weird things. Damn you Hollywood!

Yes I get it too, I've never smoked in my life and never will, I think it's because when your stressed you look at others and look at the ways they deal with it and that's normally smoking so you can understand why you want it, but I always tick out of it, instaed of having a smoke with your coffee have a biscuit!, do something else that healthy!.

Well, I used to smoke so it may be different. But for all my teenage years and not til my 20's did I start smoking. I was around smokers since I could breathe - even before!!

I think it has to do with stress. Brain chemistry.

Your brain has taken nico at times, and it has had an effect. Your brain and body remember it - it is an effective form of self medicating, as an ex smoker, I know! It's a real thing.

So that doesn't seem strange to me. I'd bargain your brain chemistry is giving you some signals with the craving, just like it does for me as an ex smoker sometimes. The signal means: need more dopa or other good thing, less stress! lol.

just my half arsed theory.

I suspect you are really really tired (with a young son). Nicotine has a very similiar chemical footprint to caffeine, and is a stimulant. Perhaps you have a deep memory (from your parents and second hand smoke) of the little buzz of energy nicotine can bring.

Next time you have that craving, just have a cup of coffee and see if it satisfies you. Your brain probably has a deep subliminal connection between coffee and cigarettes due to your parents, since most smokers often smoke while drinking coffee. You probably imprinted on it when young, and it is coming back now that you're tired raising a young child.

I've never smoked cigarettes either, never will, but a good cigar ... that's a whole 'nuther thing. Maybe have a good cigar and see if that satisfies the craving? You don't inhale a cigar, you just puff and enjoy the flavor, and no one walks around all day with a cigar in her mouth, do they?

I've never smoked cigarettes either, never will, but a good cigar ... that's a whole 'nuther thing. Maybe have a good cigar and see if that satisfies the craving? You don't inhale a cigar, you just puff and enjoy the flavor, and no one walks around all day with a cigar in her mouth, do they?

I didn't even know females smoked cigars...Lol. Little close-minded but they seem so manly.

I used to smoke so its diff. for me...But i know the feeling. Driving on the highway and smell someones cig in front of u makes me crave one...Also when im drunk.

Wow- a lot of good replies/explanations here! -Food for thought. Thanks.

I suspect you are really really tired (with a young son). Nicotine has a very similiar chemical footprint to caffeine, and is a stimulant. Perhaps you have a deep memory (from your parents and second hand smoke) of the little buzz of energy nicotine can bring.

Next time you have that craving, just have a cup of coffee and see if it satisfies you. Your brain probably has a deep subliminal connection between coffee and cigarettes due to your parents, since most smokers often smoke while drinking coffee. You probably imprinted on it when young, and it is coming back now that you're tired raising a young child.

Interesting theory, BSBH, I think you are on to something here. hmmmm

maybe get some of those cigarette candies from a store or from the ice cream man. you can puff out the powder sugar. gum inside too. bonus!

haha.... this would probably be my solution, but I'm kinda a dorky kid at heart

I agree though that it likely has something to do with stress and feeling tired. The desire to breathe it in and relax.

Maybe try focused breathing exercises instead and just pay attention to breathing... it is rare that we really take the time to do that, and sometimes I think that is what part of the enjoyment of smoking is really about when you take the addiction out of it.

I didn't even know females smoked cigars...Lol. Little close-minded but they seem so manly.

I used to smoke so its diff. for me...But i know the feeling. Driving on the highway and smell someones cig in front of u makes me crave one...Also when im drunk.

When my friends had cigars they were smoked equally with the guys and gals and it was a big fad in Hollywod about 10 years ago. I don't buy them but I'll sneak a puff off of someone's.

I've always like the taste of one.

OMG! - Well, I AM an ex-smoker and I can tell you, the cravings NEVER go away. For the longest time it seemed as tho they had, but in times of stress, or drinking, ......or boredom, I DO find myself craving a smoke

Horrible. I hate it. But its there. Prolly always will be......

• 1 year later...

I started this thread over a year ago, and I still crave smoking all of the time. It has become irresistible to me at this point.

I should make it clear that I will NEVER, EVER start smoking, I don't need to be convinced not to do it- I know how bad it is, and I will never start smoking

^I lied and I have been bad. For the past few weeks I have been smoking 1 Djarum black clove cigarette per week. I smoke it on a Sunday evening out on my deck and I don't inhale it, while my husband smokes a cigar. It tastes good and it satisfies the craving. One and done. I will not let this be a slippery slope.

I still don't know why I crave smoking so badly. It goes against I know that is healthy. Yet it is so damn appealing.

So I will let myself have my one black clove each week and leave it at that.

Have you heard of pica? It's a disorder that causes people to want to eat things that are not food and have no nutritional value (a common one is cigarette ash). It is seen most often in pregnant women and it's said to be a sign of a mineral deficiency, such as anemia. I know you are not eating the cigarettes, but perhaps your body is telling you that something is up? I don't think it's normal for someone who has never smoked to start craving cigarettes.

yeah, smoking while driving is probably the main reason i smoke. Its like something to do while your driving instead of just sitting there driving. Plus, when stressed it definitly helps when other options arent available. Ive always been a social smoker and never a full blown smoker but this past year i have had a lot of tough times therefore ive been smoking more often. No excuse but i do not have a addictive personallity so quiting will be easy.

Have you heard of pica? It's a disorder that causes people to want to eat things that are not food and have no nutritional value (a common one is cigarette ash). It is seen most often in pregnant women and it's said to be a sign of a mineral deficiency, such as anemia. I know you are not eating the cigarettes, but perhaps your body is telling you that something is up? I don't think it's normal for someone who has never smoked to start craving cigarettes.

Hmmm. I've never heard of it. That is interesting.

I don't want to eat it though. It's the feeling of holding a cigarette and blowing the smoke out slowly that I like. The craving did start as soon as I had a child though. Smoking looked like an appealing way to de-stress.

how is it strange?

you are just wanting to emulate your parents behavior.

now that you have a kid there might be more stress to all of this, and its ultimately putting you in a parental role.

i think it is a learned behavior like rolling up a bag of chips a certain way or folding your clothes the way your mom taught you. same thing.

Archived