Open Club  ·  31 members  ·  Free

Travel and Culture

Two extra days in Switzerland and not sure where to go

i_love_chocolate

Okay so here is the situation. I was planning a trip to Switzerland (2 days in Basel and 2 days in Geneva). The only reason I was planning to go to Basel was to see a friend but I just found out that he can't be there at the time. So now I need to find something to do in Switzerland for those extra 2 days. My options are the following:

- Visit Zurich since my plane is landing there.

- Stay in Basel for 2 days anyway.

- Extend my stay in Geneva and stay 4 days instead of 2 (are two days enough in Geneva?)

- Go see another part of Switzerland. I heard that are so many places out there.

For people who know Switzerland well enough, what do you recommend?

- Extend my stay in Geneva and stay 4 days instead of 2 (are two days enough in Geneva?)

I know Geneva well enough to suggest you spend 2 days there (4 is too much, the interesting part of the city is not so big- of course depending on what you like). I think a nice alternative to Basel could be Lausanne, also closer to Geneva than Basel is.

Thank you Arwen for your response. Someone today also told me about Lausanne. How would you compare that to Zurich? See the advantage of staying in Zurich is because my flight will land there. However, I'm thinking that Zurich is just a city similar to the other cities I'm going to visit (Vienna, Amsterdam, Munich) so would that be a good idea? Is Lausanne a really different place that is worth going?

Well, Vienna, Amsterdam and Munich are very different. Of course as a Dutch person, I think that nothing in the world ever compares to Amsterdam, even nothing in Holland compares to that special atmosphere that you'll find there

I don't know Zurich at all. My train to Geneva at the time went past Lausanne and I remember it looking much more attractive than I found Geneva. I didn't like Geneva that much- but my co worker likes it enough to go there even for a second vacation.

I did like the old town (located a bit higher than the rest of the city) in Geneva however. But to spend 4 days there... I'd then divide it over Lausanne and Geneva, or stick to the old plan of Geneva/Basel.

You could also drive to the moutains - go to Interlaken, stay there, climb the Jungfrau (train and then hike) or Schilthorn. It's very beautiful, and only about 2 hours from Geneva. (Gotta love that Swizerland is such a small country).

I also really recommend Ballenberg in Brienz - an "open-air" museum where you can see original houses from different time periods and cantons in Switzerland. Beautiful and interesting. If you go there, Bern is on the way. I really liked Bern, has a nice old city, cathedral, and a very special "coocoo" clock.

Have fun

PS. I do like Basel!

Interlaken is pretty cool and I would recommend that, too. I also thought that Lucerne was an amazing and beautiful city. It's kind of touristy, but the ferry ride accross the lake and then the cog-wheel ride up to Mt. Pilatus was amazing - the view from the summit is breathtaking.

Living just accross the Swiss border I would recommend that you visit Zürich; the city is very special, among other things because it has such a nice alpine panorama with the Zürichsee and the alps in the background... if you plan to go there, be sure to take enough money with you, though! Zürich attracts masses of rich people from all of Europe which leaves an impact on the prices of essense goods and accommodation. Nevertheless, it's definitely worth visiting, imo.

Archived