Open Club  ·  31 members  ·  Free

Travel and Culture

London Fashion

CBeth

I'll be going to London this August and have never been abroad. I know it's shallow and stupid, but I really would rather not look like a total idiot or blatantly American tourist.

At home, I usually just wear t-shirts (baby-doll or casual), jeans or capris, and tennis shoes or Converse All-Stars. Overall, I'm a casual dresser.

Will I look ridiculous dressing like this in London? Obviously, comfort is a must and I don't want to be too hot.

Any advice? What's the summer style?

I was there last summer, it is so cool by the way, but you can fit in there pretty easily if you just plain and dark, but your gonna look like an american in some situations, the thing is its really hard to look cool or hip when your there, its a huge fashion city so alot of stuff starts there and its wanna those things that you cant really prepare for, just know that its not a big deal, there used to american tourists especially in summer, its really friendly, but once your there you can take a look around, go shopping etc., then when you get back you'll be uber-cool,lol. Dress like if you wanted to look cool walking the streets of NYC, have fun!! Go to the camden town

aw man, i just typed a whole response and hit the backward button.

I posted a thread on this exact topic, and members gave me some GREAT TIPS. so it's not shallow to want to fit in lol. especially if you're gonna be going for a few weeks. i've been there loads of times, but this year i wanted to actually not look like a dork who flew in from some time warp machine and look completely like an outsider. haha. i'm also a very casual person, jeans, tees, and sandals.

i agree with ATL student:

the thing is its really hard to look cool or hip when your there, its a huge fashion city so alot of stuff starts there and its wanna those things that you cant really prepare for, just know that its not a big deal, there used to american tourists especially in summer, its really friendly, but once your there you can take a look around, go shopping etc., then when you get back you'll be uber-cool,lol.

i'm taking basics and i plan to shop there. if i can get cheap stuff even better. ok, hate to admit it but my fave shop is actually this place called PRIMARK where you get THE cheapest stuff in London In my opinion. Haha. You even get bags for like 3 pounds. so you can get some stuff to fit in while you're there and then wear it when you go back home.

they layer alot, like with leggings, cardigans.

you can wear sandals. i think i've seen tem where converse sneakers with skinny dark jeans.

just dont wear base ball caps (they told me in my thread). always have a jacket or coat with you since it's WINDY.

apparently people don't really wear short there much.

If you're coming in august, its gonna be hot. So wear summer stuff...you know, bright tops and jeans. Cant go wrong. However, always be prepared for the rain!

Once in london, go to oxford street (for the standard fashion) and Camden town (for slightly more funky stuff) ...you can get away with pretty much anything in london.

Archived