Blackmail.

Abandon Me

Hello. Thanks for clicking on me.

I dont know where to post this, maybe it will be moved if its in the wrong spot.

Serious problem. Need advice. A person is doing his best to drag me to him by way of blackmail. The type of information he has is on me could ruin me both personally and publicly.

My days are spent on edge, a nervous wreck, my stomach is constantly in knots.

I dont know what to do anymore.

Nothing I say or do will make him go away. I started researching how to ease away from any sort of relationship with this person. I even tried the methods that that doctor had suggested-by trying to make myself sound boring as possible, pleading confusion and even insanity. Nothing is working. It even made it worse! This isnt something I can go to the police for. Why wont he leave me alone?!

Its bleeding over to my work, he calls nonstop and makes me stay on the phone with him.Im gonna get fired for sure. What can I do?

Thank you.

personally, i think you need to give a little more information on why he's blackmailing you or what he's blackmailing you about. Otherwise, it's just a wide array of call the police and seek help responses.

I think your right, solariseclipse...I was afraid of that. :sad:

Its unfortunate because I am trying to remain anonymous like everyone else, and the person doing this to me is clever, has alot of friends that are pretty internet saavy.

The police thing. Could I just say that whatever information he has on me would interest the police far more than what I had to say?

As far as why he is doing this, is because he wants something with me, and I dont want to.

Why not talk to your boss and tell him/her you are being stalked and getting unwanted calls from this person at work.

Then they will say call the police. And if I dont, and it continues, they will probably call the police, and alot more will happen to me besides just being fired.

I think your right, solariseclipse...I was afraid of that. :sad:

Its unfortunate because I am trying to remain anonymous like everyone else, and the person doing this to me is clever, has alot of friends that are pretty internet saavy.

The police thing. Could I just say that whatever information he has on me would interest the police far more than what I had to say?

As far as why he is doing this, is because he wants something with me, and I dont want to.

Well, if he has information on you and something illegal, then I really don't have a lot of sympathy for you. You did something wrong, obviously you don't want to get caught, but now someone knows the truth.

Granted, blackmail is illegal, but you're kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Maybe you should check with an attorney if it's that bad and tell them the whole story. You'd be protected by attorney client privilege and the attorney could give you advice on whether you have anything to worry about from the police or whether something could be worked out to catch him in the act of blackmail.

Well, if he has information on you and something illegal, then I really don't have a lot of sympathy for you. You did something wrong, obviously you don't want to get caught, but now someone knows the truth.

Well, im not looking for your sympathy, and that was precisely why I didnt want to mention that part, because now judgement is being passed, and meanwhile, my situation is completely going to be overlooked.

No, I didnt do something wrong. I just happened to be young, and in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Not every crime that is considered "illegal" is morally wrong.

For example, if a young girl stole tons of food, because she was starving, and had no money, and no family to care for her, you wouldnt have at least a little bit of sympathy for her?

Granted, blackmail is illegal, but you're kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place.

I kind of figured that. Thats why I am here.

Well, im not looking for your sympathy, and that was precisely why I didnt want to mention that part, because now judgement is being passed, and meanwhile, my situation is completely going to be overlooked.

No, I didnt do something wrong. I just happened to be young, and in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Not every crime that is considered "illegal" is morally wrong.

For example, if a young girl stole tons of food, because she was starving, and had no money, and no family to care for her, you wouldnt have at least a little bit of sympathy for her?

I kind of figured that. Thats why I am here.

Okay, here is advice, not judgment.

If what you did was something when you were young and stupid, how much do you think would happen to you. Only you know exactly what you did and the punishment that would come along with that.

There may even be a statute of limitations on whatever it is that you did. Like Avman said, a lawyer will listen and protect your confidentiality.

If it gets worse, or to the point where you feel in danger from this guy, then it may even be worth it to confess what you did and just get it over with. In most situations, people who turn themselves in voluntarily normally get a lesser punishment than those that are turned in by others.

If your situation was something like that ("sympathy for the girl") then more than likely they would have sympathy for you as well.

Either way, you are more than likely going to have to bite the bullet so to speak, learn from this and move on. There are good and bad consequences for all of our actions which you will have to face. My questions is, how long are you going to let this particular devil make a slave of you?

As a lawyer, my advice for you is to talk to a lawyer! You can confess everything and it will be completely protected by attorney-client privilege. I really think this is your best option. A lot of lawyers will talk to you initially for free & then only charge you once they decide to help (and the initial talk is always covered by privilege, even if you don't end up as their client).

I agree that you should talk to a lawyer..not quite sure why you didn't talk to a lawyer when all this started. You are also quite vague about what this person is calling you about. Did he have a relationship with you, how do you know this person. When you post on a forum it is very difficult to give any kind of feedback with very little information. The thing is that for this kind of situation you are best talking to a lawyer.

A lot of lawyers will talk to you initially for free & then only charge you once they decide to help (and the initial talk is always covered by privilege, even if you don't end up as their client).

Great! Thank you!

I always wanted to know that...but seriously, is the initial talk always truly confidential even if you dont retain them? You dont think they would get negative about it and perhaps hold counsel with a certain law enforcement official that they happen to be good friends with?

Im just asking because shadiness is always plentiful.

Privilege attaches upon initial consultation & a lawyer is prohibited from disclosing PAST offences. If a client (or potential client) tells a lawyer that they're *planning* to commit a crime, the lawyer may anonymously let the police know in order to prevent the crime, but technically they still can't rat you out. But in terms of past offences, they definitely cannot breach confidentiality. If you're worried about this, you should talk to the lawyer about privilege prior to confiding in them.

Good luck!

Archived