Open Club  ·  31 members  ·  Free

Travel and Culture

What is the point of travelling ?

CaptainPlanet

What is the point of traveling ?

I have always assumed it is something cute girls do because they make lots of friends easily, are into and adapt well to social scenes and new people. They always rant about how good traveling is and save up for it because it is fun for them.

I know this one girl who has been to 19 different countries !

Same with trendy men I assume they go with a couple of of mates and meet up with said girls described above.

You also have hardcore travelers with the wonder bug.

I don't fit into any of those categories and I imagine myself arriving in some foreign place, being bored and lonely with no friends, somewhere that is essentially similar to where I am from but in a slightly different package. Can anyone shed some light on this for me ?

I think traveling is more than just seeing the landmarks and whatnot. I like traveling because I love to learn and understand the people, the lifestyle, the language, the culture, and well for me, especially the food of that country.

I can't really explain it. It just amazes me how crossing a boundary or a border can take you to a whole different world.

Traveling is fun. You get to meet new people, see new places, experience new cultures, etc. I love to travel. I've been around most of the US and parts of Canada, been to Australia, Hong Kong, China, and a few other places. Would love to go to Europe one of these days, esp for the historical aspect of it.

Ditto this. I've been to a few other countries, but would LOVE to go to more! I love learning about other cultures, eating their foods, seeing famous sites.

Traveling in my own country is fun, too. I've only been to about 7 states, but I've enjoyed them all. Alaska and Hawaii have been my favorites!

Traveling and working overseas does change you.. the more i travel, the less i think i know about the world. i've been to over 50 countries and yet it seems so small compared to what the world has to offer. i don't think i could be in a relationship with someone who hasn't traveled or has no desire to.

i think another misconception is that it's so expensive and I must have had some help from family... not true at all.. there ar so many opportunities for living, working, studying, volunteering overseas at reasonable costs that i dont' know why more people don't do it when they can. Especially you CP as you have a commonwealth passport, you can get working holiday visas in England Canada ... lots of other places.

Travel travel travel.. thats the beauty of life!

A working holiday is a good idea. But what to do ? Need a profession or a vocation.

Do taxi drivers get paid well in Canada ?

no you don't need a profession at all!!

Lots of people who go on working holiday visas have no skill / work experience.. Many do though

but you don't need to.

there are 18 year olds who go on working holiday visas, they just get the same sort of job as they would if they were back home..

There are thousands of people who go to Oz on a whv and most of them do not have any profession.. it's just about living in another country!

When i travel i feel free and way from inhibitions and responsibilities.

I never realized how different i feel when i travel until i did it.

February 10th, i'm hopping over to Europe, i have no qualifications or anything. Just a sense of adventure. I'm hoping to find some pub work. I wasn't very confident at the start, so i did it with a program, for us Australian's it's IEP. Which is a non-profit program, that helps you from packing stage, visa's, overseas bank account, etc, right till the very end. Personally i want to do pub work because i think it's the best way to experience the real culture of England, and it's the easiest way to meet locals.

Traveling (either by yourself or with family), especially overseas, exposes you to cultural diversity. You begin to see that regardless of where someone lives, or what language they speak, everyone is fundamentally the same as you. There are times when I think about saving up money to travel around India and thereabouts, just for the sake of experiencing a very different culture than my own (Western, United States). People all over the world have jobs, find happiness, suffer, hang out with friends, eat and drink, do many of the things that many people in our accustomed culture do. I would never use traveling as some kind of ego stilt, but as a simple reminder than despite the culture, people are people, and all have something unique to contribute to humanity.

Be well.

"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page."

I love exploring distant lands, learning new cultures, seeing new things, meeting new people, etc. I tend to get bored staying locally, or hitting the annual vacation hot spot near home.

I've been to 12 countries, and most of the U.S. States. I studied in Japan while I was in college as well. My list of places to visit in the future is extensive, and includes places like Antarctica and remote islands. I'm completely enamored with travel.

I have grown tremendously as a person with traveling. I developed gratitude from backcountry camping trips in remote mountains, I appreciate the gifts and opportunities that I have in the U.S. after visiting poor countries where people can't afford to eat three meals a day or where running water is not available in some homes and towns. I learn how some people live, their cultures, their traditions, etc., and yet how they are very happy individuals despite harsh living conditions compared to what I am accustomed to. Travel changes you.

I can't imagine a life without travel. I do it as often as possible. Being 18, I like to think I've seen my fair share of countries thus far (about 20, if not more)... Past year and a half I've been in a plane some almost 30 times... I just love travel. Nothing like being exposed to a whole new world within our own world. I can't live without it. A life without travel/adventure/new things is not a life worth living, in my opinion.

When I travel I feel more alive than I feel at home. There is so much out there, big and small, that you might never know about if you don't travel. Sure you can see pictures, read books, hear stories.... but that never does any of it justice. Every person will have his or her unique experience.

When I travel I learn... not just about myself (but of course I do, I learn a LOT about myself), but about history, people, languages and cultures.

Just yesterday I returned from Honduras. Despite living in California, I don't actually speak Spanish, though I love languages and have studied a number of them. So I do ok picking up Spanish words here and there, and stumbling through conversations if I need to. Starting on my very first flight to El Salvador, I was seated next to a man from San Salvador who kept trying to speak to me in bits of Spanish when he saw me understand bits of things the flight attendants were saying.

I hadn't even arrived in my final destination country yet and he started telling me about dance tradition in his country and a big family reunion of his, as we struggled through the language barrier of course.

My last trip was only a week, and that can be a wonderful experience... but if you get the chance, I highly recommend living abroad as well and fully immersing yourself in another culture. It is the best way to truly gain another perspective... you will see both the good and the bad, and gain a much deeper appreciation and understanding of a culture.

• 1 month later...

I like to travel because it makes me miss my home ;-). I'm just planning a tour LA to NY this spring....

P.

P.S: I really hate when Americans say "going to Europe". Europe is a continent, not a country and every country on that continent is very very different from other one so it's like saying "I'm going to Asia", or "going to Africa". It does not make any sense.

I like to travel because it makes me miss my home ;-). I'm just planning a tour LA to NY this spring....

P.

P.S: I really hate when Americans say "going to Europe". Europe is a continent, not a country and every country on that continent is very very different from other one so it's like saying "I'm going to Asia", or "going to Africa". It does not make any sense.

Still makes sense though.... Europe and Asia and Africa are continents, true... but they are still places you can go to. Often when people go there they go to many countries in one visit, and that is why they say that

It is true though that every country is different... anyone who travels will know that. Just like the states are different as you travel accross them.

I have always assumed it is something cute girls do because they make lots of friends easily, are into and adapt well to social scenes and new people. They always rant about how good traveling is and save up for it because it is fun for them.

Are you serious?

I didn't think anyone would wonder what's the point of traveling and assume that it's something "cute girls" do.

Besides playing the piano, traveling is the one big passion in my life. I'd rather spend my life traveling around the world than studying and having a career.

Lying on the beautiful beaches of Spain, taking a cruise on the coasts of Norway, backpacking in the mountains of Canada... the world has so much to offer, and I can't wait to explore all of it.

I know this one girl who has been to 19 different countries !

Same with trendy men I assume they go with a couple of of mates and meet up with said girls described above.

You also have hardcore travelers with the wonder bug.

I don't fit into any of those categories and I imagine myself arriving in some foreign place, being bored and lonely with no friends, somewhere that is essentially similar to where I am from but in a slightly different package. Can anyone shed some light on this for me ?

I think if you made the effort to get out of this country-I'm not speaking about Mexico or the Caribbean-you would find out.

I've been to over 35 countries and have to say that traveling is my true passion. Not only does it open your mind to new food, cultures and people but it also allows you to see how similiar we are. It's the best education in life .

I don't understand this sillyness about "cute girls" and "trendy men," people of all ages are traveling these days.

Expand your world and book a trip somewhere!!!!!

Archived