Open Club  ·  31 members  ·  Free

Travel and Culture

What to do there?

GoldenHillGuy

My bf and I went to Costa Rica last winter and it was the best vacation I've ever taken. We didn't use a tour package. I bought Lonely Planet's guide to Costa Rica- it was great. We flew into San Jose and spent 3 nights on the pacific side of the country, one day/night in the interior, and 3 nights on the Caribbean side.

Do you surf? Costa Rica is know for it's surfing, and if you don't- take a lesson. most of the beach resorts offer lessons! We also rode zip lines through the jungle, hiked up into a dormant volcano, lounged on the beach and drank many many Imperials (local beer). Costa Rica also has amazing white water rafting- unfortunately the day we had scheduled to go was our only day of rain. You will have a blast, I'm jealous!

I went to CR last year and LOVED it!!

We didn't use a tour guide either. We (there were about 10 of us) researched our own hotels and visited multiple cities. We started in San Jose, Arenal (active volcano), Jaco, and then Manuel Antonio.

Once you get to the hotel of your choice the receptionists are a great help to book activities for you. I was able to do waterfall repelling, bungee jumping, scuba diving, volcano hiking, hot springs (must do!), sky trekking (ziplining from mountain peak to peak rather than tree to tree), snorkling, jet skiing, surfing, etc. LOTS TO DO!!

We did get a sticker shock though. We thought the prices for the activities were going to be relatively cheap because it's in the CR but we were wrong. It ended up being about $100/activity.

One of the best vacations ever though! Would definitely do again!!

Archived