Open Club  ·  31 members  ·  Free

Travel and Culture

What was your favorite thing you did in Hawaii?

Hope75

Hey all,

My fiance and I will be traveling (for the second time) to the Hawaiian Island of Kauai for our honeymoon in 3 months. For those who have been, what was your favorite thing to do?

We're looking for fun new ideas while we are there!

That island is the best in my opinion! It's small... not very populated compared to other islands.

They have great golf if you do that.

Its the only island with a river... the fern grotto is lovely.

If you love to hike they have a huge state forrest.

I always laugh because they have a problem with ferral chickens... you'll hear roosters non-stop! LOL!

And of course any hotel will tell you how to get to the best place on the island to watch a magnificant sunset!

Enjoy!

you should have lots and lots of sex!!!!! shhhhhh!!!!!!! ; )

I haven't been to hawaii since i was in elementary school, so i don't remember what's fun out there, but i always pick up a guide book in advance of the trip and flip through the pages. i like the eyewitness travel series - it has suggestions of natural sights, museums, restaurants, etc.... and you guys can just choose what appeals to you. maybe take a day tour of some kind.

i like snorkeling with the fishies.

I've not been to Kauai yet.. only Maui and Oahu, but I will second snorkeling for sure. Also, I highly recommend kayaking as well .... there are some gorgeous kayaking excursions around there.

Of course..... don't forget annie's first suggestion either

Kauai is the most beautiful island of them all. Take the river boat up to the Fern Grotto. Once you get there, they ask who is married or on their honeymoon. They then single you out and sing The Hawaiian Wedding Song to you. Soooo romantic. And this if from a female that is not really into romance. They do it right!

That island is the best in my opinion! It's small... not very populated compared to other islands.

They have great golf if you do that.

Its the only island with a river... the fern grotto is lovely.

If you love to hike they have a huge state forrest.

I always laugh because they have a problem with ferral chickens... you'll hear roosters non-stop! LOL!

And of course any hotel will tell you how to get to the best place on the island to watch a magnificant sunset!

Enjoy!

Haha, we went for 10 days in 2004 and the chickens cracked me up! They were EVERYWHERE!

The roosters woke us up every morning!

I`ve been to Maui lots of times, but not Kauai.

One thing I loved to do was snorkel with the fish. Some places you can buy fish food or you can feed them defrosted peas. It was a great way to see lots of fish up close (the pufferfish are so cute - I practically had one eating out of my hand with that funny gap-toothed "smile"). Just don`t do this in a preserved area - the fish aren`t hunted there and they`re too aggressive.

A helicopter ride over the entire island and a trip into Waimea Canyon were my two favorite things on Kauai

Oh the Waimea! Beautiful, but so dizzyingly high!

I'm a bit of a chicken with the heights, so when my fiance took a pic of me standing by it I looked like I was going to vomit!

The Na Pali Coast is an incredibly breathtaking drive. Just don't get to close to the edge if you're afraid of heights!

image removed

And after that exhilarating experience, you might want to unwind by the calm waves at Poipu Beach near Lihue, and/or with a bit of freshwater fun at Kauai's natural rock waterslide where the ancient Hawaiian kings frolicked (it's much tamer than the one built for a movie at Maui's Seven Sacred Pools of Hana).

Lordy, I wish I was going with.

The Na Pali Coast is an incredibly breathtaking drive. Just don't get to close to the edge if you're afraid of heights!

image removed

And after that exhilarating experience, you might want to unwind by the calm waves at Poipu Beach near Lihue, and/or with a bit of freshwater fun at Kauai's natural rock waterslide where the ancient Hawaiian kings frolicked (it's much tamer than the one built for a movie at Maui's Seven Sacred Pools of Hana).

Lordy, I wish I was going with.

Thanks for the tips on the water slide! We loved Poipu, Tunnels Beach and Hanalai Bay. Ahhhh.

Hmmm... you can't actually drive along the Napali coast. You can take a boat ride, or you can hike it, but the road ends at the beginning.

It is lovely though- we took a catamaran tour of it last time we were there. Beautiful! Here are some of my pics from that tour:

image removed

image removed

image removed

Hmmm... you can't actually drive along the Napali coast.

Yeah, I didn't phrase that very well. You can drive to it at either end (windward recommended) and then you have to take the trails. I do hope you find the time and energy; there's no comparable view anywhere on the planet and you might just stumble on the ruins of an ancient village or temple.

Fantastic pics, btw. I miss that clean, clear mid-Pacific water. When I moved from Hawaii to California I tried to go snorkeling and gave up in disgust when I couldn't see my hand in front of my face from all the continental organic runoff.

I have a shot of me zooming down the slide, but the hosting site is bunged up and I can't access it atm. I'll try to post it later.

Travel tip: as you may know, Kauai's long-term residents hate tourists. It might pay to keep cameras discretely tucked away when interacting with the locals.

I'd love to see the picture when you can post it!

We were treated very kindly by 'locals' (those who were providing some sort of service to tourists) and otherwise didn't really interact with them too much.

They are going to love me with my big ass camera that doesn't 'tuck away discreetly' anywhere and passion for photography!

welll, you don't kneed to take pics of the locals faces, do you? Just the scenery would be something to remember.

I used to live Hawaii too.. Kauai is beautiful.. .go visit the tunnel fo the trees, unless Iniki has destroyed them..

There's a great beach for snorkeling on the south side.. the name escapes me now.. i think it starts with a S.. There is a great seafood restaurant right on the water in Kauai, had the best fish dinner of my life!

Gosh... you can take a boat excursion off the coast.. you can get a guide to take you to different caves...we saw spinner dolphins when we were in the glass bottom boats..

but just soak up the aloha and beauty of the island.. it's such a pretty island, and not as touristy as Oahu.. though oahu is great place too...

Where are you guys going to stay? do you mind me asking? oh.. bring me back some plumeria blossoms and some coconut meat, could you??? hehe....

just soak up the sun and enjoy yourself and take things easy.

I think the most fun thing I did was swimming off my friends boat in Hanalei Bay.. it was great.. those are pretty calm waters generally....

Have fun.. take pictures.. just not of the locals, ok?

or.. if you wanna take someone's photo, be sure to ASK THEM first.. that's only being respectful.

I hate people taking my photo too without my permission.. i dunno.. maybe the locals are camera shy... i know i'm that way!

have a great time!

That's the name of the beach, Poipu, I was trying to think of.... you can feed the fish frozen peas there, and it's good fun!

oh, there used to be a shirt maker shop in a little town in Kauai, where she'd match up the pattern perfectly at the button line wiht all that great aloha fabric. Wonder if she's still in business...

Try finding some of the back roads or off the beaten track, that's where you really soak up the culture.. Just be respectful and pleasant to the locals and they shouldn't harass you...

But really unless Kauai has changed alot in recent years, I always found the Kauaians pretty pleasant people. it's so pretty there. please do bring us some pics of the islands... we'd love it..

I know what you mean Daddy Bear, after leaving the big island and going to Florida, i found the water disgusting! And there was too much undertown on some of the east coast beaches.. I have hardly gone swimming at all since I left Hawaii in the ocean.... I just don't think the water if very nice.

Wow, did you hear about that mom getting her foot bit almost off at the beach in the Georgia/Florida beach a day or so ago?

welll, you don't kneed to take pics of the locals faces, do you? Just the scenery would be something to remember.

Nope! I didn't take any pictures of any people last time except my fiance (and he took some of me). I am mostly interested in scenery. I would never photograph a stranger without their permission.

We're staying in a private condo in Hanalai, but I am not sure what the name of the resort is (and wouldn't want to mention it here!)

Last time we went we stayed in Lihue, so it's nice to be on the North Shore this time, since our favorite attractions were on that side of the island.

They are going to love me with my big ass camera that doesn't 'tuck away discreetly' anywhere and passion for photography!

You got some wonderful shots, Hope!

I don't mean to sound pessimistic or strike fear into you -- but I also advise you to be careful of your camera and its whereabouts. Put the camera in the trunk if you are somewhere exploring or at the beach and have to leave it unattended for any length of time.

There are a fair number of thefts in Hawaii in both remote and popular tourist areas because locals know tourists have money to spend.

Of course, this is not the RULE and you should be fine. It's more mellow in terms of crime risk on Kauai than Oahu or the Big Island anyway, since there are less of the poverty/urban issues there. I'm just saying, exercise caution with covetable items.

I hope you have a great time and enjoy snapping away!

Archived