How long does it take to get over heat stroke-dehydration?

Last Saturday I was out in the 90s degree heat for an outside birthday party.

There was no water available for most of the afternoon and finally at about 6:30 I finally got somethign to eat and drink.

I have hypoglycemia and if I don't eat regularly I start feeling faint. Sadly, no one told me the food was going to cost me money and I had to go accross town to the party and needed what money I had to put gas into my car.

So.. getting home was pretty sketchy.. I didn't even think I was going to make it, and no one at the party, probably would of helped me get home, so I was basically on my own.

Oh, did I mention I've known some of these people for years and years.. well no more parties organized by this particular guy, see it's very bad for my health.

But Sunday, I was feeling just horrible.... I know it was probably from the heat on Saturday and lack of food.. but how long does it take to get over heat stroke.

I was talking to a woman in the market I often go to.. and she said the same thing as me.. she's just not been feeling herself, sort of light-headed, not dizzy.. just not "all There".

It was a horrible heat wave and came right after all this mild spring weather int he 70s....but it was 10 days str8 of 90s and horrible humidity.

Yesterday I felt really weird too... and it has been hot on & off for the past few days. I'm eating better but the past Wednesday I was at the market and got horribly hungry and started getting weak feelign again.

I think I need a plan where I can somehow take food with me.. but what won't spoil in the heat? I was thinking somethign with protein, as that always makes me feel better but it's hot in our cars.

Has anyone else ever had heat stroke and did it take awhile to get over it??

well, anyway.. i'm trying to lose weight too, and I am overweight... but I cannot starve myself obviously.....

I did lose 2 lbs yesterday though.. I walked twice.. once in the morning for 1 mile and then again in the evening.. for 2 miles...

How fast you recover from extreme dehydration and a loss of electrolytes is proportional to what kind of physical shape you're in. The better shape you're in, in general, the quicker you recover.

I did a 50 mile bike race once that started at 11am. It was 101 degrees at start time. I only had two water bottles which were finished after 10 miles. Unfortunately, neutral water ran out too, and the whole pack was left to fend for themselves for 40 miles in absurd conditions. I've had the "heat stroke" feeling quite a few times in the past after too much/too long of an effort, but this one was special. It set me back a few days, and that was it.

However, it wasn't hard for me to remember a time when I wasn't in such great shape.... when an afternoon in the sun with little water would doom me for what seemed like a week or more. I don't miss those days. If this is really important to you, I'd recommend concentrating on your physical fitness to a much greater degree. Even a regular jogging routine will change your whole body over the course of a few months, and you won't suffer so much with shifts in the weather.

Right now I'm abouit 15-20 lbs overweight and a few weeks ago I pulled a muscle really bad and was in tremendous pain from that for about a week.

So.. to say I'm in the best of shape, definitely not. I cannot jog..but I do walk everyday.. but if it took you a few DAYS to recover and you were in very good shape, there's no wonder that it took me more than a WEEK to feel okay.

I felt just a bit weird this morning too.. Mornings seem to be worse.. but then I have been asleep all nite and not drank anything.

I need to drink more I think... It's jsut hard to make myself drink water. I know it's good for me.. ti's just tasteless, that is all. I find when I drink alot of soft drinks... diet coke.. I do feel better..

and when I got for my evening walk and have drank a whole bottle of water from doign that, I come home and really feel OK!

Does that make sense? but not eaten a big no no for me, anyway we slice it.. I've been hypoglycemia since I was 13. If I don't eat breakfast, I almost faint....

So.. i can no longer go anywhere and not be able to get food when I get hungry.

BTW, don't you think that was pretty unreasonable they wouldn't tell us we had to BUY food?

Also unreasonable you guys had to go for FORTY MILES with no water! Did you see that Kid Rock was hospitalized for dehydration this past weekend???

I guess it affect everyone right? Summer is tough, in many ways...

Archived