Open Club  ·  30 members  ·  Free

Book Talk

What book are you currently reading?

metrogirl

I'm about 2 chapters into 'How to Practice: The way to a meaningful life'

by: The Dalai Lama

Does this book talk about mindful meditation at all? I took a class in this 2 years ago and it was really helpful. "Practice" was a key element.

• 2 weeks later...

I think I would have to go with liking "A Thousand Splendid Suns" better, but you're right - it's a tough choice. I guess I don't think that "Kite Runner" held-up as well through the ending as did the other. Both were exceptional though.

Right now I'm reading "Survivor" by Chuck Palahniuk and "The Subterraneans" by Kerouac.

I've been reading "the gospel of inclusion" by carlton pearson. "The grace awakening" by chuck swindoll. "Classic Christianity" by bob george.

I'm also reading "grace rules" by steve mcvey. I don't read just one book at a time and I rarely read a book in its entirety. If I wrote my own book I probably wouldn't finish reading it. I read some of the epistles in the new testament bible too.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's another one I'm reading. It's by Martin Zender. The title is "How to be free from sin WHILE smoking a cigarette."

The title can apply to other weaknesses or addictions if smoking is not your addiction. As for me it's "How to be free from sin WHILE masturbating" or "How to be free from sin WHILE drinking too many soft drinks."

Or "how to be free from sin WHILE sexually fantasizing about God."

I read a LOT of Stephen King, but currently am reading about oh, 4 or 5 books? haha. The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath, some book i found at a random store in the mountains called Michaels Evil Deeds by E. Phillips Oppenheim written in 1920, bought it for 2$ and with a name like that how could i pass it up? i mean really? and I am also reading Getting the love you want by Harville Hendrix PHD, and also the last book in the gunslinger series by Stephen King. I just dont want the adventure to be over, so even though i bought that book the day it came out, I cannot bring myself to finish it =(....

• 2 weeks later...

I am currently reading "The human Stain" by Phillip Roth. I took a break from it to read "The Kite Runner" which I really enjoyed. Before that I read "A thousand splendid suns" etc... etc... I love to read.

I saw a little quote it says "Alas, she is to fond of books and it has addled her brain" makes me laugh!

I have been listening to a lot of audio books. But one of the last actual books I read was Unaccustomed Earth by Jhumpa Lahiri. I loved the first book I read by her, Interpreter of Maladies, and her only novel, The Namesake.

This book did not disappoint. It was wonderful. I highly, highly recommed everyone read her. I am not a huge fan of the short story, but she is brilliant.