Lost My Baby Cat

CBeth

When I woke up this morning, my parents told me that my 2 year old cat, Lucas, died at the vet last night while I was at work. I took him in yesterday because I thought he was constipated. Turned out to be a kidney stone and a urinary blockage. I went in thinking he'd need an enema. Now my baby is gone.

I realize that most people on this forum have lost human loved ones, which is undoubtedly devastating. But I'm not a big fan of people, and my cats are my life. To me, this is losing a dear loved one. I can't stop crying, I can't think straight. Short of losing my parents or brother, I can't imagine anything worse than this. I've had Lucas since he was 3 weeks old.

The worst part is that I know how much pain he was in. I recently had a kidney stone and couldn't stand the intense pain. To think that my sweet, innocent, little angel suffered like that is more than I can bear.

People keep trying to use logic to comfort me, but I just miss my baby.

I'm terribly sorry about your loss.....Many of us here have pets and consider them a part of our families. The grief can be overwhelming and believe me when I say that we understand your pain.

My deepest sympathies.

Have you ever read the poem Rainbow Bridge? I found it to be very comforting when I lost my dog.

I am very sorry for your loss And such a young cat...

The love for a pet simply doesn't compare to human love; there is no need to think you aren't entitled to feel the way you do. Will Lucas get a small funeral? Maybe it will help you to say goodbye?

Awwww - (((HUGS))) CBeth.

Poor little chap - I am so sorry that this happened. He may just be a cat in some peoples eyes but I know just how attached you grow to the little critters - and you have had him since he was 3 weeks old. That sucks.

Just know that he is running about up there now - free from pain and happy.

Take it easy hun - just realise that there was nothin you could do here.

My advice to you would be to give this a couple of weeks and then get out there and find another little kitten to give a good home to.

Mark

i am SO sorry. What a tragedy!!!

Don't let anyone tell you, "oh, it's just a cat--try losing a person". That's BS. I love my cat more than i love most people.

Take all the time you need to cope with this. it can take awhile but it will slowly get easier

i know what it's like to lose a cat, especially a young one, especially one that you love dearly.

if he was in pain, you should be happy that he's not in pain anymore.

i know it's not easy to reason your way out of the hurt you are feeling - but just remember all the fun you got to share and for what it's worth, his life was enriched so much because you took him into your home and loved him. he was very lucky.

if you have pictures, take some time and pull them all together and look at them whenever you need to. another way i learned to cope was to go to animal shelters and play with the cats. it helps you remember how many OTHER cats there are that need love.

good luck

Thank you all so much for your replies. It helps to know that other people understand how hard this is. I keep expecting to see him walk around the corner. This has been such a shock. Logically, I'm glad he's not in anymore pain. The vet said this would've been a recurring problem and he'd probably have to be put down eventually. But that's no consolation for my heart just yet. Hopefully, it will be one day soon.

Thanks again for the support. It really does help a lot.

And thank you, metrogirl, for suggesting Rainbow Bridge. It made me cry again, but it made me smile too.

Feel better. Animals are better than people in so many ways, it's no wonder we love them so much. They possess qualities the human spirit often squanders. They love unconditionally, they long to please, and they simply allow things to be. Your kitty made your life bright for two whole years! What a wonderful thing.

The great thing is, so many animals need a home. When you're ready, there will be another.

Rainbow Bridge is so beautiful! I almost cried myself! (But I'm at work...)

I cry harder for the kitties than I do most people I have lost. I feel for you. My two boys are my heart, I love them sooo much. You will be in my thoughts and prayers. I read a beautiful quote recently: We hold every cat we have ever loved safe in our hearts.

My deepest sympathies. I had to put down my 12 yr old dog a month ago, I know how much it hurts.

It will get better. For me, the sadness remains, but the intense "I can't breathe" grief has faded for the most part. The hardest part is breaking the routines that included them. I keep thinking "I have to put outside, she'll love these table scraps, oh I hope she hasn't made a mess in the house" etc...The a sad feeling washes over me as I realize she's simply not here anymore.

All I can say is that it's the price we pay for having them in our lives, and while it's a steep, painful price, it is worth it to the end...

((((HUGS))))

Thank you all so much for your replies. It helps to know that other people understand how hard this is. I keep expecting to see him walk around the corner. This has been such a shock. Logically, I'm glad he's not in anymore pain. The vet said this would've been a recurring problem and he'd probably have to be put down eventually. But that's no consolation for my heart just yet. Hopefully, it will be one day soon.

Thanks again for the support. It really does help a lot.

And thank you, metrogirl, for suggesting Rainbow Bridge. It made me cry again, but it made me smile too.

CBeth --

I am sooo sorry to hear about your kitty. I have lost two cats before, and I am going to lose another one to cancer sometime in the near future. For many of us, losing a pet is EXACTLY like losing a person. My cat is 14, and I have had her since she was a kitten -- she is more than just a pet; she is a dear friend.

I got this book recently that contains a bunch of meditations on different subjects, one of them being the loss of a pet. This really helped me as I face the impending loss of my beloved kitty, and I hope it helps you:

"Animals love us with constant hearts. They offer us pure joy, a place to love with simplicity and purity. In caring for our pets, we structure our lives. Their regular needs become our soothing habits. We walk the dog, but the dog walks us. Adding a pet to our lives adds richness and warmth. Losing a pet, we lose an irreplaceable friend, the companion of fond memories. Our pets are both our wealth and our witnesses. They sweetly and softly gentle our days.

Today, I cherish my animal companions. I count myself fortunate for the time spent in their presense. I savor the connection of life to life and love to love. I celebrate the bond of our affection."

From Transitions by Julia Cameron

i am SO sorry. What a tragedy!!!

Don't let anyone tell you, "oh, it's just a cat--try losing a person". That's BS. I love my cat more than i love most people.

Take all the time you need to cope with this. it can take awhile but it will slowly get easier

My ex said this exact, insensitive thing to me ("It could be worse -- it could be a person") when I told him about my cat being sick. I almost lost it, right there at my desk at work. Clearly, he doesn't understand the love between owner and pet. I feel sorry for him.

I am so sorry to hear about your loss, and I KNOW the pain.

Right now as we speak, I am waiting to hear back from the Emergency Hospital about my cat, who has Jaundace. She is so sick, and they are giving her a 50/50 chance. She is 11 years old and has been with me since she was 6 weeks old.

I have posted her picture in my profile picture, and she WILL stay there until she DOES come home HEALTHY to me.

I also lost a 2 year old cat to heart failure back in 2003. Devastating.

Hugs to you.

The rainbow bridge is one of the best poems I have ever read. Your kitty is there now.

Godspeed

~Allie

We are better people for having known them. Which is more than I can say for some of the people I have known.

That cracked me up.. Yeah.. pets are such wonderful creatures.. they truly are.

I thought I was going to have to post something similar, but my cat was actually LOST..last week.

She disappeared at 5 pm.. didn't see her again til 10 pm! That was a horrible 5 hours.. She's 13 and I've had her forever... Lost 2 dogs while I have owned her... just lost our beautiful Lab last year that she grew up with! I got pictures of them play fighting together, and i'd come home and find them sleeping next to each other on the same pillow!

Sh'es my buddy, I don't care what anyone says, she cares about me more than most people I know.. and is my constant companion.. I'd be so lost without her.

So.. I know how you feel.. it's just horrible to lose a pet.. there's no way around it...I feel your pain, believe me, I do, ((hugs))

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, it is such a relief to hear about all the pet-lovers out there...

I care about my pet more than I could imagine most people do, and it's a least a little comforting to hear about how lots of others agree and have to go through this.

I'm so sorry about your loss...

But that's one lucky cat, to have the chance to be cared for by an owner that loved them so much for 2 years.

It's good to know how important pets are to everyone and that people understand what I'm going through. It's been over three weeks now. I thought I was doing better for a while, but the past few nights have been as hard as it was in the beginning. But I'm hanging in there.

Allie, how is you cat?

It's good to know how important pets are to everyone and that people understand what I'm going through. It's been over three weeks now. I thought I was doing better for a while, but the past few nights have been as hard as it was in the beginning. But I'm hanging in there.

Allie, how is you cat?

My kitty came home from the Animal Hospital, and I am tube feeding her.

Not to jinx anything, but I think she just may beat the odds..she is doing fairly well!

THANKS SO MUCH FOR ASKING!

Archived