One more reason to like Cali

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My opinion of gay marriage used to be "Haven't they suffered enough?"

When people tried to ban gay marriage by popular vote I understood the term of Alexis de Tocqueville... the tyranny of the majority.

When people tried to ban gay marriage by popular vote I understood the term of Alexis de Tocqueville... the tyranny of the majority.

Yeah. Democracy (direct or representative) is a great answer to the world's problems.

lol - i heard some comic say that gays have every right to be just as miserable as straight folks (regarding marriage, lol).

i agree, i think it's a step in the right direction today, i was really proud today.

proud that the courts overturned the gay marriage ban.

There never should have been a gay marriage ban, though; it was wrong from the start. That's like saying you're proud of little Sue for cleaning up the mess she made!

I'm not trying to invalidate pride here, but I don't feel it is necessarily appropriate given the dubious morality and constitutionality of the law being overturned.

Its about time! In a country that touts freedom, we aren't so free with a lot of things.

You are so right. In a country (and world) full of so much drama and hate sometimes already, you'd think that anything that promotes love is worth doing. After things such as the civil rights movement which outlawed discrimination, you'd think they'd have stopped this type of discrimination also. Instead of banning gay marriage, how about banning more serious things such as murderers and rapists from ever getting out of prison?

A court ruling on constitutionality can thwart future attempts to limit civil rights by popular vote. California's initiative system allows all sorts of flakey laws to be established, but the courts often have the last word.

What's really sad is that a lot of people don't know that same-sex marriage isn't legal. My ex and I were in a long distance relationship and we always wondered how we could find a way for her to come to the US. Some people would ask me, "Why don't you two just get married so that she can come here?"

What???

Good news. A big fight looms in the fall, however. Even though the Governor has said he doesn't support this, there will likely be a ballot initiative in November that would, in effect, overturn this decision. So while it's good news, the fight isn't over yet.

I'm not sure how I feel- I suppose it's a step in the right direction, but I'm sure this will reenergize the Christian Right nationally and they will be all over the next election. I would've just as soon had all of us lay low until after the election and then done a whole bunch of legislating when there would be less the Right could do about it. This could potentially have very bad repercussions on the national election...

It could, but I think that the GOP brand is so down now that the rovian tricks of 04 will not have the same effect now. Obama is also not in favor of this decision, and he will say so ... but he will get our votes nonetheless, while remaining politically viable for the anti-gay voters. Really the three candidates have similar enough views on this in substance -- McCain says it is a state issue, so he can't come out against CA's decision.

So in all while it is a risk, I don't see it like 2004.

Yes, I suppose that is true. I got scarred real bad by 2004- I was living in Michigan then and they passed a proposal that made a constitutional amendment banning gay marriage. Plus, I was still Catholic then and it was passed with huge Catholic support- normally I don't care much about the election, but I honestly felt depressed for a few days afterwards. I suppose I'm just paranoid. I just really don't want to give anything for the Right to rally around.

Yeah well I live in Virginia, and they amended the constitution here so that not only can same sex couples not marry, but any legal paperwork they sign to simulate a marriage contractually is also invalid. It's the capital of hate against gay people I think. But still I dont think its a hot button issue like in 04, because 27 states have now addressed this against gay people, and the democrat is not in favor the decision.

Yeah well I live in Virginia, and they amended the constitution here so that not only can same sex couples not marry, but any legal paperwork they sign to simulate a marriage contractually is also invalid. It's the capital of hate against gay people I think. But still I dont think its a hot button issue like in 04, because 27 states have now addressed this against gay people, and the democrat is not in favor the decision.

Yeah, Virginia sucks.

I was really excited about this decision, but now I'm really worried about the people who will get married this summer, because of the anti-gay marriage ammendment that will be on the California ballot this November. Apparently it only needs a 51% vote to pass, and it would override last week's court decision.

Do you guys think that we'll be able to beat this gay marriage ban ammendment?

I certainly hope so!!

I'm not a California resident, but the outcome, I think, is important for gay people accross the entire nation!

I think this is the website for the main group that's fighting the ammendment:

You can join to get updates and donate to the cause!

link removed

I don't know why people are going out of their way to "re" ban same-sex marriage. I hear talk about a constitutional amendment, honestly what gives!? I hope the California voters strike it down (if it makes it to the Nov. ballot).

"Live and let love." as seen on a protest sign.

Plus think of all that extra money for marriage licenses, wedding planners, catering companies, etc.... CA desperately needs the $$. (remember our huge deficit?)

Even if this gets banned ... times are changing and this type of injustice will not last long ...

"the arguments proposed against same-sex marriage are the same as those used against interracial marriage in the '60s. California was the first state to legalize interracial marriage in 1948, and they are now the second to legalize same-sex marriage. I truly hope that the saying "As goes California, so goes the United States" proves accurate once again." source: link removed

live and let love

live and let love

-PJ

Archived