If a guy likes a girl...he doesn't mention other girls, right?

traeh

Not always. He could be throwing that out there to test the waters and see how you react to it. He might want to give you the impression that he has other options and isn't desparate.

He might say this in hopes that the girl views him as desirable and a prize.

It also could be used to test to see if the girl is insecure or jealous if he talks about other hot women. He might like a girl who doesn't mind if comments like that are made.

I had a gf once who loved checking out and talking about hot women and it was something that we had in common. LOL.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if a guy is interested in a girl.. he wouldn't be talking about getting with some other girl, in front of that girl. Also, he wouldn't ever mention other 'hot girls.' Right?

I agree, unless he thinks that making her jealous is the way to her heart (I avoid guys who do this but that may be a motivation for some).

None of the mature, adult guys that have ever been into me or that I've ever dated have talked about other women to me or within earshot.

Yes he would! Some guys do it intentionally just to make the other girl jealous, or see if she becomes jealous. I've had that happen tons of times, it's immature, but it happens.

Exactly--mature, adult guys don't feel the need to play games like this. If a guy is into me and he lets me know, I'm excited about it if I'm into him too. It just weirds me out if he talks about other girls as a way of trying to gauge my interested or something. It makes me move on and assume he's interested in the girls he's talking about.

i agree... this is either an immature guy playing games, or else a guy who isn't interested, or letting a girl know that he doesn't intend to date her, or date her exclusively.

if someone did this to me, i'd say something like, 'so you think she's hot... really? then go have fun with her then...' then i'd walk away. If you want the guy and he's not interested not point in wasting time, and if he's playing games, you need to put him on notice that you want to be treated with respect and not that kind of game.

He might do that but I would find it to be a redflag and wouldn't be interested in him playing those kinds of games.

In other words, if that were me and the guy i thought liked me were doing that i'd realize he either 1) didn't really like me or 2) was playing some schoolboy game trying to make me jealous and either of those reasons would make me not pursue him any further.

I think it's inappropriate and immature whether it is being done to play games or not - unless he 100% absolutely thinks that girl is just a friend and thinks it is okay to talk about these things. Perhaps the girl misread the guy as wanting something more than friendship.

Eh, otherwise good and mature women use a little jealousy to keep men on their toes and to elicit a response. Men do it more and more too. If you are asking to determine whether he has interest in you or a friend of yours, the fact that he talks about other women around someone he isn't dating is not conclusive at all. It's boring, self-absorbed talk, and could be rude in many contexts, but doesn't really say one way or the other whether he likes you too.

There are varying degrees of interest. Many people have a group of potential dates they might be interested in, with ebb and flow on a day to day basis, that is influenced by all manner of occurrences and especially the flow of new information into the equations. It's highly complicated stuff in need of a secret decoder ring to crack.

Eh, otherwise good and mature women use a little jealousy to keep men on their toes and to elicit a response. Men do it more and more too. If you are asking to determine whether he has interest in you or a friend of yours, the fact that he talks about other women around someone he isn't dating is not conclusive at all. It's boring, self-absorbed talk, and could be rude in many contexts, but doesn't really say one way or the other whether he likes you too.

There are varying degrees of interest. Many people have a group of potential dates they might be interested in, with ebb and flow on a day to day basis, that is influenced by all manner of occurrences and especially the flow of new information into the equations. It's highly complicated stuff in need of a secret decoder ring to crack.

There is NO way i would be interested in a guy and mention other hot guys around me or that i was interested in one.

No way in heck would i do that and would be totally turned off if i liked a guy, and thought he liekd me, and he was talking about hot girls.

BYE BYE

I do agree wtih you tho that his doing this does not suggest at all that he is interested in her. My point was either/or it woudln't matter to me beacuse the fact that he did it would be such a turn off.

If I really, genuinely liked a guy and was interested in pursuing him, I would never talk about other 'hot guys' around that person. I'd want them to know that I'm interested in them and only them.

That's why personally, I feel that a guy would not mention other girls in front of the girl he liked.

I agree with the posters that feel this type of behavior is a 'red-flag' that the guy is immature and a game-player.

If I really, genuinely liked a guy and was interested in pursuing him, I would never talk about other 'hot guys' around that person. I'd want them to know that I'm interested in them and only them.

That's why personally, I feel that a guy would not mention other girls in front of the girl he liked.

I agree with the posters that feel this type of behavior is a 'red-flag' that the guy is immature and a game-player.

Well no not necessarily. if he is not interested in dating you, then it's not immature or playing games or any type of red flag- he's treating you like a buddy or a friend. If he is interested it could mean he is immature but not necessarily playing games - he might just lack social skills.

I've actually encountered one of these guys... this was about two, three years ago when I was a junior in university I met up with an old classmate and became friends with him. He is charming by nature but I could also tell he was sort of interested in me but at the time I wasn't interested and more focused on my studies. He didn't do it very often, talking about experiences with other girls or girls he found hot but he might slip it in occasionally in a form of a joke, I guess to test me a little, for a reaction or something and I basically humored him. When I got the message accross to him that I wasn't interested, that's when he really started to talk about hot girls and I joined in with him. I think younger, cockier guys might do it even if they are interested in you, but it can also be a sign that he treats you like a buddy.

If the guy is older I would hope by then they have passed that stage and become more mature about expressing their interest in you. Otherwise I wouldn't bother with it. My best bet: just assume he treats you like a buddy unless otherwise.

It's a pretty basic social skill when on a date, I think. Don't talk about exes. Don't talk about her weight. Don't talk about other women you are dating/find hot/ check them out.

Though that doesn't stop a lot of people from doing it.

All you need to decide is if you are alright with it or not, whether it affects your interest in him at all.

When this happens, the guy gets scratched off mentally. It's uncomfortable.

Archived