LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Thread: "I was raped" T-shirt

Platinum Member
    What is sad to me about all this is that rape victims are stigmatized. A victim of any other crime would be OK wearing a shirt and people would see it as great that they are standing up for a cause. For instance...there are many family members of teens who have been killed by gun violence...they wear shirts with a picture of their lost loved ones with messages speaking up against gun violence...I think this is an important message that needs to get out there and people whom are affected by it often have a desire to get the message out there...yet they would never be stigmatized for it. I think wearing a shirt like this is a personal choice and I think just like anything else legal, people should be free to do it. That said, I am not aware of a society in the world that is ready for a shirt like this...that is ready to treat wearing of a shirt like this as a way of opening up dialogue, that is ready not to treat the wearer differently or look at her funny, rather than as an additional way of stigmatizing someone for something that is not their fault, and even as an additional way to target people for violence (I could see that being the response among many people unfortunately).

Originally Posted by Excalibur
    I do not believe it is a positive statement to reinforce victimization of oneself, or a situation.

"I was raped" - it's a victim's cry. It screams to those that like to control or abuse, you're possibly an easy target.

"I overcame the victimization of rape" - quite another statement.

Oh good one! It displays the social awareness and the empowerment!

Honestly, I'm not a fan of the shirt. Only people I date seriously and close family and really close friends know about me being raped. I would never want society to know.
    I don't like the idea of the shirt, it screams for attention and such when all I want to do is forget it happened and be able to move on it my life.
    It could be empowering to some women, but for me a constant reminder of the years I'm trying so hard to forget about.

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared
    No, I would not. People already do not know how to respond to you and either look at you with pity, look uncomfortable and walk away or look at you like a side show freak. So no.

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by agent
    It's really really not.

And I think this is the kind of thing the maker is trying to work against.

I think that the t-shirt and the surrounding publicity will raise awareness but I don't think that a lot of women/men are going to wear this t-shirt.

I remember reading about one that read "I had an Abortion". The aim was to highlight how many women this issue touches, and that it's more common than people like to make out and not something that should engender shame.
    Regardless of how we think things Should be [idealism], we have to look at how things Are [realism].

In my area, wearing such a shirt will earn you snickers and not the yummy chocolate coated peanut caramel nouget kind, either. You may even get a couple Nelson Muntz {Simpsons} responses.

If we go back to that Long dialog I posted on that other Rape topic, Lonewing's Hypothesis is that Rape occurs when there is no respect. When you wear the shirt "I was raped," you let everybody else know at least one person does not respect you. And then they question why, and now you have a group that does not respect you. You may have a gorup of sympathizers too, but you probably already had this before hand, so it's not a great gain.

In my area, wearing the "I had an abortion" shirt will earn you scorn, some of it very vocal. Some it very hateful. Some of it far more harmful than the abortion ever was before; you could very well end up being mentally "raped' after wearing such a shirt.

Wearing either shirt, while you may get 100 positive responses, at the end of the day, the one you remember is that one super negative response...and you would be shocked at how mean human beings can be to each other, if you live in an idealistic bubble most of your day.

In public, it is best to "conceal your hand" and in effect, appear Inconspicious.
    Last edited by Lonewing; 07-13-2012 at 04:58 AM.

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by kuiks8
    i don't think that is how they are meaning it...i think the point is that a lot of woman who are abused feel ashamed, like they have to hide, that they are no longer desirable...there is so much shame and guilt that goes with being raped that I think they want to give those women their life back and let them feel like they don't have to hide what has happened to them...i get the reasoning i just don't find it effective.
    In all cases with such shirts, I think the intentions are very high, but the delivery is counterproductive.

These points you bring forward are far better starting points towards developing a {successful?} healing process than these T-shirts.

Mod Note: This post is 4 years old.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Give Advice
Ask For Advice