Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: "I was raped" T-shirt

yeah, i think it's kind of disturbing and i can't really explain why myself. Wearing a shirt like that warrants intense controversy and scrutiny because not all are open to such topics.

Originally Posted by Excalibur
    I do not believe it is a positive statement to reinforce victimization of oneself, or a situation.

"I was raped" - it's a victim's cry. It screams to those that like to control or abuse, you're possibly an easy target.

"I overcame the victimization of rape" - quite another statement.
    I agree with this...or something like:
    "you had my body you can't steal my spirit"...something strong...but just i was raped...it's just not right!

this is very disturbing who would want the advertise something like that as if were some kind of badge of honor.

Originally Posted by jmantra
    this is very disturbing who would want the advertise something like that as if were some kind of badge of honor.
    i don't think that is how they are meaning it...i think the point is that a lot of woman who are abused feel ashamed, like they have to hide, that they are no longer desirable...there is so much shame and guilt that goes with being raped that I think they want to give those women their life back and let them feel like they don't have to hide what has happened to them...i get the reasoning i just don't find it effective.

yeah, I get the reasoning too, but it should have been worded like , 'I was raped, but I'm stronger than ever" or "I overcame rape, you can too", yadda yadda. Just "I was raped" leaves the door open to all types scrutiny.

I fear that this is not going to be bought by real rape victims but might become a fad for teens just like they dont mind being called who*res and other various deratory terms these days.

I think it is a really bad idea and will likely become some fashion trend and it surely should not be.

IT isnt smoething to be made light of but i think the shirt will make it as such. Young men today already get really bad ideas about how to treat women from rap songs, sheesh i hope that this doesn't get mixed up in that same fad.

Originally Posted by kuiks8
    i don't think that is how they are meaning it...i think the point is that a lot of woman who are abused feel ashamed, like they have to hide, that they are no longer desirable...there is so much shame and guilt that goes with being raped that I think they want to give those women their life back and let them feel like they don't have to hide what has happened to them...i get the reasoning i just don't find it effective.
    I don't think broadcasting something like that is a good idea, thats something that is personal and to me wearing something like that screams "I want attention and pity" No you shouldn't be ashamed of being rape, it's not your fault, however their is no need to broadcast it. Thats running around with a shirt that says "My dad beat me with a belt when I was younger" or "I have bipolar disorder"

It almost seems like a sick joke.

Platinum Member
    It's not a particularly nice topic to think about, but it is just a T-shirt. It's clear to me that such a thing is just for shock value, which happens to be what a lot of fashion is about these days. People are wearing things that are tighter and skimpier, vulgar and more shocking. The best thing you can do is to not react to it because that's what the wearers want. It impresses their friends and provides a mild thrill when they are noticed by strangers.

I wouldn't be thinking that someone who wore this actually WAS raped, by the way.

^^yeah, I think that's where the disturbing part comes from. Broadcasting it like it's a joke.

Originally Posted by jmantra
    It almost seems like a sick joke.
    That is how it seems to me.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice