Ask For Advice

Thread: When friends hang up on you

Anotherday
    Gold Member

When friends hang up on you

This has happened to me a lot. In my mind it's very disrespectful to hang up on someone and it's a rare day when I will do such a thing.

Last night I was talking to my girlfriend and politics came up and she hung up on me. It was only the day before I learned that she is pretty much the polar opposite on things. Anyway, she sent me an email saying she knows I'm passionate about politics but she would like me to respect the fact she isn't and doesn't want to hear about it. Basically, she's concerned about the price of gas and doesn't care about the death in the war being suffered. I sent her an email saying that I was sorry too as I value her friendship so much, but that death for me is too hard to ignore.

Then she has this new BF that she is wondering if she should just bite the bullet and make it work (as in marry him within a year's time). Half the time she says he's a bum (more or less) and the other half of the time she thinks he's so nice. I've kept my mouth shut about what I really think, but I just wish she'd lose the guy and find someone more appropriate. I guess what I'm saying is if she marrys this guy our friendship will probably go by the wayside anyway.

Who's right here and more importantly, I always question a friendship when the other person hangs up on me. Thoughts? Thanks.
    Last edited by Anotherday; 04-01-2008 at 09:41 AM.

agent
    I too would question a friendship wher the other person felt ok in hanging up on me. Actually, I wouldn't. They would be gone.

But I have to ask - you say you feel this happens a lot to you, so either you make friends with people who have no problem hanging up on you, or you are behaving in a way that makes them hang up on you.

Your friend used the word passionate? That's a good word for strong feeling, but when you talk about things you are passionate about do you tend to let those feelings dictate the way you talk about things? It obviously stops you taking into account your friends disinterest in the topic.

Also, the e-mail was quite manipulative.

Dako
    Sounds like you were on a roll with your opinions, and she wasn't in the mood for it. I sometimes get tired of hearing about the war but I still care.

Anotherday
    Gold Member
    Quote Originally Posted by agent [Register to see the link]
    I too would question a friendship wher the other person felt ok in hanging up on me. Actually, I wouldn't. They would be gone.

But I have to ask - you say you feel this happens a lot to you, so either you make friends with people who have no problem hanging up on you, or you are behaving in a way that makes them hang up on you.

Your friend used the word passionate? That's a good word for strong feeling, but when you talk about things you are passionate about do you tend to let those feelings dictate the way you talk about things? It obviously stops you taking into account your friends disinterest in the topic.

Also, the e-mail was quite manipulative.
    I guess when I get hung up on from my one friend it's because I'm not agreeing with her or she doesn't like what I say and the same for last night.
    Whose email was manipulative?

I didn't realize until day before yesterday she was my polar opposite on politics nor that she cared so little until her email last night. Now I know. I am sick of hearing about her new guy but I don't hang up on her.

Anotherday
    Gold Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dako [Register to see the link]
    Sounds like you were on a roll with your opinions, and she wasn't in the mood for it. I sometimes get tired of hearing about the war but I still care.
    Well, that's just it. I do get on a roll but I at least like someone not to completely ignore what I say, so I was repeating myself and things were going nowhere. I don't think she really does care about the war but she has mentioned the price of gas on more than one occasion. BTW, I am super anti war and super anti this administration and she's a republican. I only found this out on Sunday. I'm not keen on being friends with republicans, but I'll make an exception in her case. I just find our core values to be very different and theirs flat out horrify me.

Top Threads
How do I let my friend know that I donít want to go to Europe with her?
Iím facing a bit of a conundrum. About a month ago, I told my friend that I would like to go to Europe with her this summer. But after I did that, I
Does anyone else have a friend that drives them crazy?
I have a friend who has just been making me crazy lately. We have been friends for over 10 years and they got out of a relationship earlier this year
Was I wrong to sleep with someone else? Why is she so upset?
Hey, everyone. I had this really rocky fwb relationship with this girl for a year. We dated for like a month in the beginning but we realized we
I think my friend is obsessive with me..
Hi this is my first post here :) i am 22, female. My best friend of 3 years is 25. I met her at the worst point in my life, and she really was a
ex best friend is always around me, struggling to hold my tongue and may ruin my own relationship
so I met this girl in my first year of secondary school, I must of been about 11 years old at the time. I didn't really talk to her much to begin
I really dont know where I stand with my best friend anymore
Im so hurt and upset. I've been friends with this friend for about 3 years, I was there for her when she delivered, and anytime she needed anything I
Make one person mad, make everyone mad
Have you ever been in a situation where you and one friend had a bit of a fallout and the next thing you knew, EVERYONE was mad at you? It was like

Expert Advice
Featured Threads
Heard my ex-boyfriend having sex
Please please please help me. Tonight I heard my ex boyfriend having sex with another woman and I'm totally gutted and sick inside. Unfortunately
Advice married man
I am 38 yrs old 2 kids ( 8 and 17) I was in a relationship with my ex for 21 years and things ended. Fast forward 6 months I met a wonderful man who
I have an experiment on how to attact
I often hear lately that women and men want the exact same things and are attracted to the exact same things. I don't believe this one bit, so I
My boyfriend said I have nothing to offer?
He told me I have nothing to offer other than sex. He called me a nobody even though I am going to school and have a part time job. What does he mean
What do I do HELP.
Ive dated this girl for just over two years our relationship started off great. We were in love and I could see myself marrying this girl. A few
5 years later with silent treatment
I am 44 yr old woman with someone 6yrs younger. I was taken to an emergency hospital 2 weeks ago with suspected stroke..he left me at the door of
Help... I'm driving myself crazy.
So my ex and I have been broken up for 4 months. We have had no contact in four months. He blocked me on Facebook immediately after the breakup. Last
Ask For Advice