Ask For Advice

Thread: When friends hang up on you

Anotherday
    Gold Member

When friends hang up on you

This has happened to me a lot. In my mind it's very disrespectful to hang up on someone and it's a rare day when I will do such a thing.

Last night I was talking to my girlfriend and politics came up and she hung up on me. It was only the day before I learned that she is pretty much the polar opposite on things. Anyway, she sent me an email saying she knows I'm passionate about politics but she would like me to respect the fact she isn't and doesn't want to hear about it. Basically, she's concerned about the price of gas and doesn't care about the death in the war being suffered. I sent her an email saying that I was sorry too as I value her friendship so much, but that death for me is too hard to ignore.

Then she has this new BF that she is wondering if she should just bite the bullet and make it work (as in marry him within a year's time). Half the time she says he's a bum (more or less) and the other half of the time she thinks he's so nice. I've kept my mouth shut about what I really think, but I just wish she'd lose the guy and find someone more appropriate. I guess what I'm saying is if she marrys this guy our friendship will probably go by the wayside anyway.

Who's right here and more importantly, I always question a friendship when the other person hangs up on me. Thoughts? Thanks.
    Last edited by Anotherday; 04-01-2008 at 09:41 AM.

agent
    I too would question a friendship wher the other person felt ok in hanging up on me. Actually, I wouldn't. They would be gone.

But I have to ask - you say you feel this happens a lot to you, so either you make friends with people who have no problem hanging up on you, or you are behaving in a way that makes them hang up on you.

Your friend used the word passionate? That's a good word for strong feeling, but when you talk about things you are passionate about do you tend to let those feelings dictate the way you talk about things? It obviously stops you taking into account your friends disinterest in the topic.

Also, the e-mail was quite manipulative.

Dako
    Sounds like you were on a roll with your opinions, and she wasn't in the mood for it. I sometimes get tired of hearing about the war but I still care.

Anotherday
    Gold Member
    Quote Originally Posted by agent [Register to see the link]
    I too would question a friendship wher the other person felt ok in hanging up on me. Actually, I wouldn't. They would be gone.

But I have to ask - you say you feel this happens a lot to you, so either you make friends with people who have no problem hanging up on you, or you are behaving in a way that makes them hang up on you.

Your friend used the word passionate? That's a good word for strong feeling, but when you talk about things you are passionate about do you tend to let those feelings dictate the way you talk about things? It obviously stops you taking into account your friends disinterest in the topic.

Also, the e-mail was quite manipulative.
    I guess when I get hung up on from my one friend it's because I'm not agreeing with her or she doesn't like what I say and the same for last night.
    Whose email was manipulative?

I didn't realize until day before yesterday she was my polar opposite on politics nor that she cared so little until her email last night. Now I know. I am sick of hearing about her new guy but I don't hang up on her.

Anotherday
    Gold Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dako [Register to see the link]
    Sounds like you were on a roll with your opinions, and she wasn't in the mood for it. I sometimes get tired of hearing about the war but I still care.
    Well, that's just it. I do get on a roll but I at least like someone not to completely ignore what I say, so I was repeating myself and things were going nowhere. I don't think she really does care about the war but she has mentioned the price of gas on more than one occasion. BTW, I am super anti war and super anti this administration and she's a republican. I only found this out on Sunday. I'm not keen on being friends with republicans, but I'll make an exception in her case. I just find our core values to be very different and theirs flat out horrify me.

Top Threads
My best friend committed suicide. I'm numb, in shock...
My best friend and I weren't just friends, we were sisters, we called each other that. We both had strained relationships with our families, so it
Can cops do anything about this?
First, in case it matters, I'm in Ontario. I know a guy who told me that he started doing coke and ecstasy on a weekly basis. I know a lot of
Cutting Off a Bad Relationship
I'm going off to college soon and am starting to distance myself from friends that I know I'm going to grow apart from. These friendships have been
Advice needed: meeting an ex-friend
I was friends with this girl for years who has always been a bit of an emotional vampire. There was a time that when the good out weighed the bad
My best friend is mad at me
Months ago, my best friend asked me to go to an all night music festival with her during labor day weekend. I told her I would go one night with
People who play the victim
Has anyone ever known someone who constantly plays the victim in any given situation? It just absolutely irritates me when someone puts up this front
Staring at a fellow Cadet classmate, not trying to be rude. Thoughts?
Got a weird situation and not really sure how I can address it other than not looking which is hard lol. I started an academy about 2 weeks ago

Expert Advice
Featured Threads
Weird crazy breakup
Here goes. We was together 4 and a half years, lived together for the most of that with her grandparents, yeah moved in pretty quick because of
is my bf racist? is there a future?
I am a bit dumbfounded and confused.. pls comment.. I have been dating my bf for 3 years. I look asian and he looks european. Things have not always
Great conversation but she Ghosted me?!
When I asked for her phone number, she kinda looked at me (the really dude? face). I knew it was over, but seriously it bothers me that we had a
My Girlfriend's Extreme Anger and Dramatic Behavior Are Ruining Our Relationship
This is gonna be a long one. Bear with me.. Okay, so this is my absolute first post on any forum ever. I am a 21 year old male, and I am currently in
Wrapping your head around an incurable condition
How does one do that ? While my condition is not fatal it is incurable and my life quality will steadily deteriorate over time. Most possible will
My mom kept a secret for 28 years
I'm 28 years old, my mom always told me to not sleep around, said she never slept w anyone till she got married, etc. well randomly tonight she tells
Confusing relationship with ex
So my ex and I broke up about 3 months ago. There was a lot of hurt, I was really depressed for the first weeks until I got back on my feet and
Ask For Advice