Marriage= happiness?

Gratsy

I did not read the entire article either, and maybe I'm not the best person to ask, I'm a gay male and have only been in commited relationships, longest lasting 3 years. I would totally agree with allie. I would also say that being in a relationship made me less social, and less interested in making friends, and nurturing my friendships.

Well, I did not read the ENTIRE article, but, I will tell you this:

I would rather be single with no romatic interests than married just for the sake of being married.

There is nothing worse than an unhappy marriage.

I would rather be alone than wish I was alone.

But what if you married someone awesome whom you loved and all of the ideas in the article still happened?

I mean, marriage is the rest of your life. You better realllllly like that person.

I've been in relationships where I was dying to get out...I can't imagine marrying that person, it'd be hell. I agree with you about nothing worse than an unhappy marriage.

After what I've been thru, which is indeed my own experience and not everyones, I'd prefer to be alone rather than married.

Too much to lose, and the return on the investment is not worth it.

Even if you never got to have sex again or experience love?

You can get love from your family and friends while single, and you can still get sex from different people (one night stands or friends with benefits, lol). I'd rather choose this than a miserable marriage. To be married for the sake of being married is one of the most stupid things a person can do. There is no law stating one has to be married for happiness.

I don't think one choice (single vs. married) is better than the other. I believe a person can find happiness in either choice. They both have their rewards, they both have their downfalls, they both have their challenges.

It just depends on what you really want.

I did read the article and I enjoyed it.

It all depends on the person. I know people who are married and are happy. I know people who are single and happy. I also know people who are married and unhappy and singles who are unhappy. One woman is single and has been her entire life. She is happy with where and who she is. She said the best part about being single is that she can just up and choose to be a counselor during a week of church camp when another counselor cannot make it that week. She loves being able to devote her time to developing relationships with youth.

There is a married couple that has the same attitude as my above mention friend. The love youth and wished that they could spend more time with the youth they lead. They are happy with where and who they are.

No more marriage for me! Marriage has impossible expectations-how can one person be everything to another? We weren't meant to live like this-I believe marriage is a political/financial institution made by man-maybe one of the Roman emperors? (Not sure, sorry)

This was probably your mistake right there. Anyone who expects someone else to be their everything and to provide all their satisfaction is only setting themselves up for failure and disappointment.

Marriage does not in and of itself lead to happiness or unhappiness. It is the people inside the marriage who bring happiness or unhappiness to it. I think the aspects of marriage that the article brings up are definitely reasons to think twice before getting married! But they shouldn't be reasons to turn people off from it.

It's good for people to realize that there's no guarantee that marriage will bring happiness. I think too many people go into it with those sort of ideal expectations and then are deeply disappointed. The happiest marriages I know are with couples who are each individually happy people. These people would be happy whether they're married or single.

I also think it's important to recognize that there's no such thing as 100% happiness. A friend once said to me that the best we can hope for in life is to be content. I agree with that.

You can get love from your family and friends while single, and you can still get sex from different people (one night stands or friends with benefits, lol). I'd rather choose this than a miserable marriage. To be married for the sake of being married is one of the most stupid things a person can do. There is no law stating one has to be married for happiness.

But say that those weren't a part of your options...

But what if you married someone awesome whom you loved and all of the ideas in the article still happened?

I mean, marriage is the rest of your life. You better realllllly like that person.

I've been in relationships where I was dying to get out...I can't imagine marrying that person, it'd be hell. I agree with you about nothing worse than an unhappy marriage.

Even if you marry someone awesome, all those ideas in the article will likely happen!

Marriage helps to temper the instinct to run. If you are "dying to get out", marriage provides a "ten count" to access the situation. If you are married to a reasonably decent person it is usually worth the effort to work out the problems even if it takes years. Marriage helps to make the time and commitment more secure.

Archived