Degenerative Disc Disease at the age of 23...

I had my doctor appt yesterday and he set up a MRI for my lower and upper back.

Keep in mind here that I have Rheumatoid Arthritis, Lupus, Scoliosis and Retrolisthesis.

The doctor said that due to my Arthritis that I have Degenerative Disc Disease.

I am kind of upset because it is just ANOTHER thing to add on to the many problems with my body! I am only 23 and I have a condition that my dad got when he was 50. 3 of my dad's disc are already pretty much gone, is this what I get to look forward to???

It is really upsetting and I just needed to vent.

Anyone that can tell me what to look forward to?

Also the doctor set up an appt to do a Medial Branch Blocks on both sides of my lower spine. has anyone had this done to them?

what is there to look forward to

who said your life was over? you can do anything you want. a diesease cant stop you unless you let it. you have full control to do as you please. dont let the issue rule you, you rule it. if we wanted to make list of things we could let burden us i know i couldnt even put it all down. its all about you. be positive and rule your disease

Hey Angel baby-

It's actually very common 30% of people in our age group have this, and the name makes it seem far worse than it is.

You likely have some encroachment (squishing) of the bones in your back against your spinal cord nerves. Any time you squish/push/compress a nerve, it causes pain.

The reason you are getting the medial branch block is to prevent pain. There are these hollow spaces in the bone around your spinal cord that contain nerves that do not cause your muscles to move, so the dr. will insert a small needle into the nerve to block transmission of pain from your these nerves in your spine to your brain (while protecting the ones that are needed).

The other thing to consider is to be careful when lifting heavy boxes, weight lifting, etc, to not propagate more inpingement of your spinal cord.

Hugs, Rose

what is there to look forward to

who said your life was over? you can do anything you want. a diesease cant stop you unless you let it. you have full control to do as you please. dont let the issue rule you, you rule it. if we wanted to make list of things we could let burden us i know i couldnt even put it all down. its all about you. be positive and rule your disease

Thanks SBJ, I was just having one of those "downer" moments. I try to stay upbeat and not let my health get me down. If I want something bad enough I will find a way and I always try to look at life in that way.

Thanks for the reminder

Rose2summer, I didn't know it was so common in this age group. But I am accepting the fact that the more problems I get the more it will cause. blah.

Yes the doctor explained how the procedure was done and I am actually looking forward to seeing if it works. Keeping my fingers crossed!

Yes, I actually had a friend who had it as well.

I think it's quite common but people moreso will attribute it to a back injury, when it really could be a degenerating disc.

So you aren't alone, and it will likely get better, that's why it's such a misnomer that it's called a disease, because something that is a disease, gets worse not better, and this can get better with appropriate treatment and protecting of the spinal cord.

Hugs, Rose

Just be sure to exercise all the muscles that support your spine. I have spinal problems, undiagnosed. But my doctor told me that since I've managed to get it under control with exercise and am practically pain free now, he doesn't want to do any tests. I used to be able to do almost nothing physical until I started going to the gym. Now I am able to do most anything I want within reason.

Oh, I saw your profile photo, Angel Baby. You are lovely! Sure wouldn't be able to tell you are ill by looking. Just beautiful.

^^ Thanks

That is the thing about rheumatoid arthritis and lupus, they are invisable. Outside I look young but inside I feel like 70.

Because of the scoliosis there isn't many exercises I can do that is why the doctor is injecting the blockers.

I have learned to live with my health problems... it just gets tough when more are added to the list. But I try to stay optimistic.

Angel... all I know is I want to help you around the house we you need it... And I hope god can get his head out of his ass and reverse the effects of your problems because you're such a nice person.

lol you have a way of putting things That made me chuckle.

I know it must be tough hun. But you've got that cheery optimistic spark about you usually, so try to keep hold of that ok.

Remember, its not ''what life have i got'' but, ''what life can i build?''

So true girl friend, I am still walking on the path forward, it just got a little bumpy on the way.

Thanks for your uplifting words, they truly help *hugs*

Thanks hun!

Keep going, you will get there and be so much stronger because of it. Just look at your little guy's smile and you will know that everythings gonna be ok.

Remember "Our problems are as real as the mind makes them". A positive outlook is EVERYTHING.

And you're doing great!

Its easy to be so optimistic when your free from pain with no problems. But for you, with all this against you, your positive outlook is so valuable, because you have had so much against you, and you don't just sit back and give up, or decide to be a jerk back to life. We're lucky to know you.

girl friend x

You give such great advice girl friend

When I see my son's smile it is like I can conquer anything for him. I honestly don't know where I would be now if my son wasn't here with me.

What you said is so true. Being in chronic pain makes it all the more harder to be optimistic about life. As it can be like acid eating away at you... you have to fight it and say you are better then it. I tell myself everyday that I may be sick and have many health problems BUT it will not destroy me.

Sometimes it is hard, sometimes I can be a b****. I do try my best though to stay positive.

Yesterday I discovered I had shingles to go along with everything else. It HURTS like a son of a.......

It might help you to read about Joni Eareckson Tada who was injured in a diving accident when she was 17. I have arthritis in my knees and I thought that was bad until I re-read Mrs. Tada's biography which I'll put a link up for you to read. She just has such a beautiful spirit.

link removed

Hope this helps you and I pray and hope that you feel better.

• 9 years later...

to answer your question, I am 26 years old and I have degenerative disc disease that's compressing either one or more nerves. it causes constant muscle spasms for me. every single day I am in PAIN like nobody understands. this disease has taken over my life. it is so debilitating. people don t understand when i say I can't work. u held a full-time job for 8 years and I had to quit and I have been home for 1 year now due to this. I can barely make it out of bed some days. most of the time I'm using topical creams or pain killers all of which do not help. I've now been given muscle relaxers and even that doesn't help. they are all temporary relief for something that is causing me pain day in day out. for someone who is actually living with this, I can tell you that exercise only does so much and after a while it stops helping to. I've been doing stretches I've gone to physiotherapy. and nothing helps.

of course it depends on which discs we are talking about. the pain I mostly experience goes from the shoulders to the neck and down to both arms. some days I can't bare the pain and I'm in tears. that's just me though for everyone it's different. I just want this to go away I have always been an active person who loves to work but since this happened I can't even work. I feel useless.

Archived