Tiny bumps on lips?

When I was in high school, two of my friends--at the same time--used my chapstick and I, grossly enough, used it after them.

Not long afterward, I developed very tiny, closely-clustered bumps on my upper and lower lips. They seem to concentrate on the outer edges of my lips.

Other people can't see the bumps and I can only see them if I look very close in a mirror. I can, however, feel them with my tongue and when I rub my lips together--my lips just feel a bit rough in the area where the bumps are.

They don't itch, there's no "liquid" in them and they're more or less clear.

I just have no idea what they are. People keep telling me that they're a form of oral herpes (yum...), but they don't just appear out of nowhere.

I've had them just a handful of times over the past five or six years. And they ONLY appear AFTER someone has used my chapstick (and yes, I know it's kinda gross to use other people's chapstick, but I've pretty much only ever done it when my lips were severely chapped--not fun).

Anyway--does anyone have any idea what they are?

sounds like herpes to me.

It's NOT herpes. Believe me, I've looked into that. I don't have ANY of the symptoms listed below (thank God).

Oral Herpes Symptoms ( link removed )

Incubation period: For oral herpes, the amount of time between contact with the virus and the appearance of symptoms, the incubation period, is 2-12 days. Most people average about 4 days.

Duration of illness: Signs and symptoms will last 2-3 weeks. Fever, tiredness, muscle aches, and irritability may occur.

Pain, burning, tingling, or itching occurs at the infection site before the sores appear. Then clusters of blisters erupt. These blisters break down rapidly and, when seen, appear as tiny, shallow, gray ulcers on a red base. A few days later, they become crusted or scabbed and appear drier and more yellow

It's NOT herpes. Believe me, I've looked into that. I don't have ANY of the symptoms listed below (thank God).

Oral Herpes Symptoms ( link removed )

Incubation period: For oral herpes, the amount of time between contact with the virus and the appearance of symptoms, the incubation period, is 2-12 days. Most people average about 4 days.

Duration of illness: Signs and symptoms will last 2-3 weeks. Fever, tiredness, muscle aches, and irritability may occur.

Pain, burning, tingling, or itching occurs at the infection site before the sores appear. Then clusters of blisters erupt. These blisters break down rapidly and, when seen, appear as tiny, shallow, gray ulcers on a red base. A few days later, they become crusted or scabbed and appear drier and more yellow

I agree with this poster. Dude you honestly have oral herpes. Sorry to say but ............ GET SOME MEDICAL ATTETION and.......... STOP USING CHAPSTICK AFTER PPL.

The only symptoms I have when I have a cold sore , is just what you described. A patch of tiny white bumps on my lip. Its very rare that they itch, hurt, whatever and if I leave them alone they usually don't form into blisters. I really think you have oral herpes. Even if this isn't a cold sore this time you probably already have the Herpes Simplex Virus in your body as nearly everyone has it, some just don't have outbreaks so the whole disgusted "Thank god" Comment really may not be necessary.

Most people in this world have the Herpes Simplex Virus or has been exposed to it. Nothing a doctor can do, yes it is highly contagious but guess what.. There isn't anything a doctor can do. The only thing you should do is avoid touching the bumps, kissing, drinking, etc after others. THere is nothing to freak out and rush to the doctor over.

Oral herpes or cold sores, there is no difference, just two different strains. They are highly contagious if the blisters break and can be spread by YES sharing a chap stick. You're probably exposed then. Each time you get the bumps, if you felt a tingling sensation at the site then you have a cold sore.

No medical attention is necessary unless you have a lot of outbreaks in which an anti-viral can be prescribed by your doctor to lessen them. Once you catch the HSV-1, you catch it for life. When you don't have a breakout, it lies dormant in your cells until something triggers it (ie, too much sun exposure or stress, and etc...).

well just make sure you dont share.. i was going to bring up warts, but i guess it could be a mild case, thats something you need to talk to a doctor about when it pops up again. because everyone can go running around putting guesses on here that may not even be true and just freak you out!

you also NEVER share make up, especially eye or lip.

• 1 year later...

Do not worry it is not herpes the condition is called Fordyce granules and it is present 20% of children, 30% of adolescents, and 70% to 80% of adults.Treatment is usually unnecessary. If the patient finds it necessary, superficial carbon dioxide laser ablation can remove cosmetically disfiguring lesions. There is no harm in them and you said you could only see them when you're extremely close.

• 6 months later...
Do not worry it is not herpes the condition is called Fordyce granules and it is present 20% of children, 30% of adolescents, and 70% to 80% of adults.Treatment is usually unnecessary. If the patient finds it necessary, superficial carbon dioxide laser ablation can remove cosmetically disfiguring lesions. There is no harm in them and you said you could only see them when you're extremely close.

I do not know why the hell so many people say: Ahh don't worry it's just FORDYCE. It's just as nasty! WHO wants to have sandpaper lips that can be seen and felt that way when they kiss?? IT SUCKS.

Two days ago I began to feel my lips getting dry, especially my upper lip. I've never had herpes but I did and do have acne. Moderate or mild. So I started Retin A about two weeks ago but did not notice any difference in my lips until these three or four days ago.

So yesterday night I started looking closlier to my lip, my upper lip I streched it and there are like tiiiny bumps, skin coloured or almost lip coloured somewher in between.

I will go to the doctor and keep you updated. For now I just HOPE IT"S NOT FORDYCE. Because guess what for Fordyce there is NO tretament, for herpes there is. So funny enough for you guys I just hope it';s herpes instead or just some bacterial infection.

It can also be a food reaction but not sure it's my case.

• 9 months later...

Genital herpes is a disease caused by a virus and it is more common in women than in men. It is so widespread that every one woman out of four women in the United States has it. Genital herpes is most commonly spread by during sexual intercourse and as long as it is transferred it is impossible to recover from it completely. It stays with you all your life. There are times of complications, when herpes is triggered by some external or internal factor, such as stress or weakened immune system.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 8 years later...
When I was in high school, two of my friends--at the same time--used my chapstick and I, grossly enough, used it after them.

Not long afterward, I developed very tiny, closely-clustered bumps on my upper and lower lips. They seem to concentrate on the outer edges of my lips.

Other people can't see the bumps and I can only see them if I look very close in a mirror. I can, however, feel them with my tongue and when I rub my lips together--my lips just feel a bit rough in the area where the bumps are.

They don't itch, there's no "liquid" in them and they're more or less clear.

I just have no idea what they are. People keep telling me that they're a form of oral herpes (yum...), but they don't just appear out of nowhere.

I've had them just a handful of times over the past five or six years. And they ONLY appear AFTER someone has used my chapstick (and yes, I know it's kinda gross to use other people's chapstick, but I've pretty much only ever done it when my lips were severely chapped--not fun).

Anyway--does anyone have any idea what they are?

At first, You have to make sure that these are bumps or not. Bumps on upper lips can be frustrating and very hurting on this subtle area of your body, not to mention affect your self-assurance. Sometimes the lip bumps can look like small white dots, others turn into large cysts, and some become blisters. One can cure Bumps on Lips in natural way at home with home remedies.

Archived