if a guy calls you "baby" is that a sign he likes you?read on for further details

sparkly

there is this guy he complimented my earrings. and asked me what perfume i wear. always says hello and goodbye. and just the other day he called me baby. and he always asks if i pick up on the weekends or where i go out to have fun. and when he found out this other guy liked me he wouldn't leave me alone and kept teasing me about it.but we dont really have a lot to do with eachother. is he just being nice or what?

He might enjoy flirting with you, he might just be being friendly, he might want to hook up with you, he might want to date you- it's hard to tell. Questions:

Is this the same guy you post about (the older man)

Do you work with him (I think so from your prior threads)

Is he married or attached?

How long have you known him?

The relevant "sign" if you are asking if he wants to date you is if he asks you out on a date - that is, if he is interested and available (the reason for the questions above). These interactions and comments you post about could mean so many different things or nothing much.

Are you asking if he wants to date you or if he is attracted to you? If the latter, he might be, mildly or a lot - it depends on whether he just enjoys flirting in general or finds you attractive.

I would disagree with anyone who responds to you that what he is doing "definitely" means any of the above.

I would say as a general rule, no. Personally i don't care for a man i don't know well calling me that. It sounds cheap to me. The ones who do it who don't know me well (only my good friends being playful are allowed to do this anyway) I would ask them not to do it. Sounds like a cheesy pick up lane "that perfume smells great baby" sounds more like a pick up line then "that is a great scent of perfume".

I would say as a general rule, no. Personally i don't care for a man i don't know well calling me that. It sounds cheap to me. The ones who do it who don't know me well (only my good friends being playful are allowed to do this anyway) I would ask them not to do it. Sounds like a cheesy pick up lane "that perfume smells great baby" sounds more like a pick up line then "that is a great scent of perfume".

Yes, good points, I agree with that too - wouldn't work for me, either.

no this is a totally different guy.he is my age. and single.i think he is attracted but yeah i didnt know what to think when he called me that.i dont know him that well, just at work so its hard to tell.

no need to analyze. If he is interested and available to date you (if the work is not an obstacle for him, as well) he will ask you out.

If you are wondering whether he is attracted to you, my guess is he might think you are pretty and enjoy trying out those cheesy lines on you since he is sensing that you are interested in him. I would find those comments inappropriate in the workplace.

Well given the two choices I would definitely look more at the single one your age, however, if this is going on in the workplace its not cool at all. I thought this was a social setting you referred to.

Be careful at work. Even if the industry you work in doesn't frown on this it just makes for problems to try to pursue and date people you have to work closely with everyday.

As for the 50 year old married perv, please don't give him the time of day.

Hah...how about "Hey baby, what's your sign". I never understood this notion of calling women Baby or Babe....unless, of course, your name is actually Baby, like in the movie, Dirty Dancing.

I think it all depends on the context. "Baby" can be a very endearing term if it is someone that you love who is saying it, and you WANT to be their "baby"...however if a stranger or simple acquaintance says it, I personally find it to be condescending/degrading/sexually connotated/disrespectful.

So in this case I would think that at the very least, it was not appropriate.

Hah...how about "Hey baby, what's your sign". I never understood this notion of calling women Baby or Babe....unless, of course, your name is actually Baby, like in the movie, Dirty Dancing.

I agree. The only people allowed to do that to me are my husband and friends when joking around.

If i barely know someone calling me baby is not going to get them anything but an eyeroll.

Honey or sugar doesn't bother me at all if the context is not sleazy. it all depends on who is saying it.

I just remembered there is this older lady who works at the convenience store down the street who always says "thank ya baby come back again" and her use of baby is not offensive at all.

I guess it is all in who is saying it and how it is said.

I'd wait and let it play out. Him calling you "baby" is not a sure tell sign that he likes you. I've met many men that throw the "how you doing Baby" out and quickly. I myself, in good humor, call my male friends Sugah, Sugah and Baby. lol Sometimes I call my close friends or people I'm dating those in sweetness. But if someone starts out saying that to me, I wonder where they learned it and if they really think it's going to whoo me.

From a younger guy perspective I use terms like that in a flirty manner. If I think a girls attractive I might drop a casual honey, sweetheart, or baby with a sarcastic comment just to let her wonder. I never drop them with a sleezy comment, or make sleezy comments in general actually. Then again maybe it's just a southern thing for me haha (no southern accent for me, thank god).

example: Last night I was bowling with my fraternity brothers and a bunch of girls that showed up to our rush events. One girl kept teasing me about neither us making strikes so I made a comment along the lines of "sweetheart, if you can make a strike, ill buy the next game"

p.s Viva Texas! .

I do that. I call a lot of people that b/c I like people and I'm from the south. Its not poor speech.

i'm not saying poor speech as in the words are bad or anything. i think it's poor speech to allow yourself to get in a habit of calling complete strangers those things. i'm not your honey, i'm not your baby, i absolutely hate when people call me that. i'm from the south too. but i guess being in the city stops that. i dunno.

i'm not saying poor speech as in the words are bad or anything. i think it's poor speech to allow yourself to get in a habit of calling complete strangers those things. i'm not your honey, i'm not your baby, i absolutely hate when people call me that. i'm from the south too. but i guess being in the city stops that. i dunno.

What about "big", "champ" and "squier"?

I'm from the south too and I can't stand to hear people calling strangers "baby, honey, sugar" it drives me crazy.

Archived