Ask For Advice
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Life Insurance and suicide

theremedy

Life Insurance and suicide

Does anyone know about life insurance and suicide?

If one were to remove ones self from the planet and it was obviously intentional, would the life insurance policy pay the persons family? Or would it need to appear to have been an accident for the policy to pay?

Thanks for any info anyone knows of.

nikkers04
    first off you shouldn't want to even know the answer. BUT i'm guessing 99.9% is going to say this is suicide and LIFE insurance would not be given.

barbielovesmac

I don't THINK they would pay the family in a case of suicide.

I was watching a movie the other night and this guy wanted to kill himself but decided against it for insurance purposes & his family.

I HOPE you aren't considering suicide???

Miss Firecracker
    Platinum Member Miss Firecracker's Avatar
    How long have you had the policy?

toshiba
    Gold Member
    My guess is "no".

Why? Because if someone knew they were going to kill themselves and went out and purchased life insurance, they'd be intentionally using their life insurance for gain and thereforeeee, anyone wanting to kill themselves, could work the system.

amtjrtcet
    Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by theremedy [Register to see the link]
    Does anyone know about life insurance and suicide?

If one were to remove ones self from the planet and it was obviously intentional, would the life insurance policy pay the persons family? Or would it need to appear to have been an accident for the policy to pay?

Thanks for any info anyone knows of.
    Life insurance carries a 2 yr suicide clause. After that they should pay out.

rocio

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Firecracker [Register to see the link]
    How long have you had the policy?
    Exactly. That's what it depends on. You'll have to read the fine print on your policy first but normally if you've had it for at least 2 years, they will pay out. (Note that you can't have made changes to the policy in that time frame either.)

My father died of an accidental drug overdose and had recently increased the coverage on his policy. They claimed it was a suicide and refused to pay out. My mom spent the next 11 years in legal proceedings until we finally settled.

toshiba
    Gold Member
    Quote Originally Posted by amtjrtcet [Register to see the link]
    Life insurance carries a 2 yr suicide clause. After that they should pay out.
    Ah, that makes sense. So, if you're going to kill yourself, buy life insurance and then wait two years.

Miss Firecracker
    Platinum Member Miss Firecracker's Avatar
    That is correct. But some can differ. I certainly wouldn't just count on that.

PreciousPrincess
    Depends upon the policy. Some are never, some are a few months.....someone else already posted you have to read the fine print.
    My friend's father in law committed suicide six months and one day after he took out a life insurance policy as the policy had a six month clause. But the worst thing is he left behind his grandchildren and loving wife....all because he couldn't pay a few bills. So not worth it. NOthing is worth killing yourself over.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Top Threads
Feeling low/suicidal
Hi my ex broke gf just broke up with me 2 months ago. Weve spoken everyday. It was long distance her Uk me Australia, we discussed last week that we
Featured Threads
Red Flag if the guy on first date does not pay for my food?
A guys asked me out to a dinner and picked the restaurant. Toward the end, when the waiter came to drop off the bill, the waiter leaned toward the
narcissistic ex - help/ how to get back at him
So this is a post about a narcisisstic, immature ex. Not an ex boyfriend, not an ex boy, but something in between. It was something in between
University freshers fling?
[B]Hey there! [/B] Thank you so much for reading this. I just [I]REALLY [/I]need advice as it's SERIOUSLY affecting MY LIFE
Should you call out your ex when you find out they've been cheating on you?
Just some thoughts guys. Have you been cheated on? What did you do? Did you call your ex out on the lies and deceit? Or go on with your lives?
Ex is being so angry and hateful
I was in kind of relationship for almost 6-7 months but unexpectedly we broke up. He dumped. Just on a fight. Just day after our breakup. I went back
How to avoid checking up on ex social media?
Hi friends, Im finding that posting here and seeing so many of us in the same boat is proving rather helpful in my own journey to move on. That
Break-up
Hi, I've recently just been broken up with by my girlfriend of two years, she has stated it wasn't all my fault and she is part to blame, but would
Ask For Advice