"Best friend" who here doesn't have one?

stranded247

I used have what is called a "best friend" but she died when I was thirteen. I've never had a best friend since then really. I imagine that in the future I would consider any boyfriends I have my best friend. Is it normal to not have a "best friend"? I just have a small group of close male and female friends which I'm quite content with but sometimes I want a deeper connection with someone. Anyone here ever feeling like this?

Hi stranded247,

It has been my experience that most of your really close and best friends you meet in school and in your 20s.

You have plenty of time, I would try and find people who have similar interests.

You'll probably have several best friends along the way, I did.

Sorry about your friend too.

Jeff

I had a best friend for 14 years who left my life when I was 18

Now my boyfriend is my best friend, definitely have a connection, we are similar in alot of ways.

But I do crave a female friend closeness again, its different. I have afew friends I go out with socially and stuff, but none I can really share anything with.

I had two best friends, one since we were 14, and the other since like 17/18.

I stopped talking to one in 2005, and I still don't know why to this day. As far as I know she got a new boyfriend and stopped answering/returning my calls. After leaving many meesages on her voicemail for weeks and no return call, I just stopped calling. I am still hurt behind it because I would never do that to her. We were very close, like sisters up until then.

The other, we stopped talking in 2006 because her no good boyfriend was flirting with me and making comments about how he thought I was cute in front of her face, and it made her insecure. So instead of straightening him out, she got mad at me, and she threatened to beat me up if i ever messed with him. I was so mad and felt disrespected, so after that incident the friendship quickly faded out. I think he didn't want her hanging out with me because I was single at the time, and I do attract alot of male attention, so he purposely destroyed our friendship, and she fell for it. Its funny how both of my closest, long-term friendships ended because of a new man.

Anyway now I only have one female friend, but we are not that close. We only call each other on the weekends to have someone to go out and drink with, or go to a club.

My boyfriend is my best friend now, but sometimes I wish I had a close girlfriend to talk about girl stuff with, or just to vent to, I miss that. My boyfriend is pretty good about listening to me talk about shoes, clothes, and hair, or the long details of my trip to the mall, and who got on my nerves and why, but I know it annoys him. I am definitley more lonely and bored without a female best friend.

I don't have a best friend at the moment either. I've always had a go-to best friend but the relationship would run its course for one reason or another (moved away, graduated, different interests, etc.)

I really miss having a best friend who I can count on for anything, particularly because I am single (by choice), and don't have that opportunity for an outlet.

Like the previous poster, I have a "best" female friend but we really only talk once a week at most, and when I broke up with my long-term BF last year, she was so busy with her new baby and husband that she never even called to see how I was doing. That hurt quite a bit, and yet I didn't blame her because I knew she had her own stuff going on and I wasn't a priority.

I guess not having that go-to person (whether it's a boyfriend or a best friend) makes me a little sad that I'm nobody's "#1"... but hopefully that will change soon

Archived