Doing what you love vs what makes alot of money?

savatar

Hi guys,

I am really at a loss here and I could use the opinions of some people who don't know me.

I recently graduate from college with a degree in Computer Science. I have been going to graduate school for a couple of semesters in the same field. I've got a part time job in that field and the money is decent.

I have come to realize, I hate programming. Not that I dislike it, I absolutely DESPISE it. I put it off for as long as possible, I don't want to learn a new language every year, and I just want to quit graduate school.

I am not sure if you can "Change majors" or get accepted into another program at the same school without reapplying but heres where I'm at.

I have always had an interest in Law enforecment and I have been working in that field part time for the last couple of years.

I absolutely love it. The problem is, an IT job pays $60,000 - $70,000 a year, where the LE pays $27,000-$35,000 at first.

I really don't want to get a job doing IT stuff at all. But people don't understand why I would turn down that kind of money after I have the qualifications. I feel like I would be failing, since I wouldn't be able to provide my family with an "easy" lifestyle where we can go on vacation every summer.

I'm really lost, but I don't think I can keep doing what I'm doing, I'm getting really depressed about it.

I keep thinking about all these people that have high paying jobs, but are not happy, and I'm afraid that is how I'll end up. Theres more to happiness to money right? What if my family doesn't see it the same way?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Let me put it this way.

Its a matter of having a lower paying job that I can go to work and be like "this is ok".

Or a job where I seriously almost want to cry when I even think about going.

ok - why would you want to work a job that makes you want to cry?

there is your answer.

i love what i do. im actually happy to wake up in the morning and go to work. i persoanlly think that if you have a choice ... that's the way it should be.

not everyone has that choice though. sometimes you've got to do what you've got to do.

I agree with Batya33, it is a balance. We work to get paid and make a living for our families. However, why would any of us want to do something we hate for most of our waking ours? We wouldn't and it wouldn't be healthy to do so.

If you truly hate programming (and this is not just you feeling burned out), I would look into law enforcement and what you need to do to make that career job. What avenues would allow you to make a living that would be sufficient enough? Figure out your options and see what makes sense. Maybe you'll do some part time programming on the side to help supplement the income.

Finally, pursuing a deeper interest is not failing. Failing would be not allowing yourself to acknowledge what you are feeling and to continue down a road without ever questioning your own happiness.

I opted for doing a job I'm not particularly fond of, because it pays well. I realized that what I LOVE to do doesn't pay well, and unfortunately that makes it suck (takes the joy right out of it) after a very short period of time. Money truly does make the world go 'round, and it DOES by health and happiness.

I suggest you find the job you will hate the LEAST that pays the most. One thing about programming (I know, because my job is to manage a team of programmers) is that it offers a lot of freedom if you get in with the right company. My staff works from home 75% of the time. You can't get that as a law enforcement officer, because bad guys don't typically respond well to remote arresting.

I don't know - maybe you could find a job involving computers in the field of law enforcement. That way, you could get the best of both worlds. I would think that the field of law enforcement would have a tremendous need for IT guys. I know the IRS usually hires its special agents from within, so you could maybe start out someplace like that and move into law enforcement. I had two friends - one with a teaching degree and the other who had a degree in accounting - who both became special agents with the IRS and loved it.

Congratulations on finishing your degree!

Did you know that roughly only 65% of university students finish their undergraduate degree? (useless fact of the day #1 )

I can't speak for everyone on this board who has a degree, but I can for me, and many people I know.

Getting your undergraduate degree, it doesn't often matter what you get it in, as an employer will be happy you've completed it.

I don't love my job.. not at all, but there are a lot of things i want to do in life that require money... and i can get that money by working for it.

I don't think i could ever do a job that i hate... and there is something to be said for doing a job you love.. but in reality what i love doesn't pay very well or pay at all.

I look at it this way.

I can do a job i love... which would allow me to have so little money that i'd have to live with my parents and never be able to do the things I enjoy in life, nor could i save or invest or do anything like that.

or , i can do a job that is so so..but by having that job, I'm able to enjoy time with my friends, save, go on holidays, keep my hobbies etc etc.

if you absolutely hate your job, to the point where you are feeling depressed, then don't do it. But, with your degree, i'm sure there are a variety of jobs you can get.

and, you said you have jsut graduated. unfortunately, when you have just graduated, you may have to do some job you don't like for a bit... but it will get your foot in the door for something better.

However, if you really love law enforcement, go for it! i see nothing wrong with pursuing further education.

Have you ever thought about what kind of jobs you can get by combining the two?

I love my career choice and I could probably make a lot more if I put an effort into freelancing. My current "job" is so-so. I don't hate it but I don't love it, either. I tend to lean toward the "do what you love" side and not worry so much about money. However, you probably have to modify that a bit if you're not the only one to worry about. Meaning: If you have a wife and kids you're supporting, you are no longer allowed to think selfishly. That being said, don't be a martyr, either. If you have a family to support, then you need to find a job that you at least LIKE and can support your loved ones.

I think you need to balance out what is important to you.

I spent some time in jobs I "hated" after my undergrad. And there were others that though I did not LOVE, there were aspects of them I found myself drawn too. Knowing about what I was drawn too, along with more life experience also pointed me in the direction I truly WANTED to go in...so last year I took the leap and went back to grad school.

I now know I am going towards what I truly WANT to do, and while the career itself has potential for "lots of money" I am choosing an aspect of it that is much, much more conservative paying in comparison to others in the field but that is because to me it is a field that is important to me and that will also provide me with balance in my life to do the OTHER things other than work I love (athletics, family, hobbies, etc). I won't be starving by any means, but I won't be wealthy either and will still be on a budget....but I will have flexibility and other perks to it that "pay" for me.

I guess what I am trying to say is....in any job there are going to be aspects you probably hate - even the one's whom love their job the most have bad days! I have many friends and family in law enforcement (I considered it as well) and they can attest there are parts they HATE about it even if they would not change their career. The idea is to find someone that you will on balance enjoy more than you hate, for whatever reasons are important to you.

maybe you could find a job involving computers in the field of law enforcement. That way, you could get the best of both worlds.

I was going to suggest this too. It's not healthy to stay in a job that makes you want to cry, but there may be ways to continue to earn a high salary by widening your options. Lots of careers require IT skills even if they're not IT jobs. You would probably have to take somewhat of a pay cut, but only initially. Usually any career change involves a pay reduction because you have to start at a lower level and than move up. So the thing to think about is whether you could live off a lower salary for a few years while you're making the transition.

Take the MONEY!!!! ---

j/k lol, why don't you get a job in law enforcement where you can use your IT knowledge. There is a HUGE demand for your type right now especially with all the IT Security issues that are materializing nowadays.

I'm going to disagree. It sounds like the OP likes the front lines part of law enforcement. If he does IT he will be behind the scenes with his nose pressed to the glass while the others are where the action is. that actually might be even more frustrating for him.

and congrats on getting your degree!

I'm going to disagree. It sounds like the OP likes the front lines part of law enforcement. If he does IT he will be behind the scenes with his nose pressed to the glass while the others are where the action is. that actually might be even more frustrating for him.

Yes, I understand. But perhaps it doesn't have to be black or white - out on the front lines versus sitting at a desk behind a computer. If it were me, I'd probably be doing informational interviews with people in the law enforcement field to find out what sorts of job opportunities were out there and what sort of day-to-day responsibilities they required. Just a thought.

I suspect that you may simply be tired with programming. Getting a graduate is a lot of study on the one focused area and if you have been programming all that time you might simply be burned out. I would give law enforcement a crack for a little while and return to programming latter if you need to.

You will have that option right ?

In life what we need is money now matter the question i would go for not what i love to do but whats bring in the money.

And later in life when your pocket is fat enough you go back to the "love i work". lol thats what im doing now u know.i mean it a choice i made.

For a single person $35,000 pa is a large amount of money.

depends on where you are, how much your rent/ mortgage is, how much taxes, union fees, deductables are taken out of your paycheque each month!

For some, that wouldn't even cover the cost of a mortgage payment each month... let alone if you want to eat or wear clothes sometimes!

without a single doubt i would take what i love over money every time. It sucks to scrap for bills sometimes, but i think it sucks more to wake up every morning wishing it was 3 days from now just so you would get your day off and not have to work at a job you despise.

I would rather wake up and actually look forward to what i am about to do that day instead of dread it like it was death itself.

just my opinion.

depends on where you are, how much your rent/ mortgage is, how much taxes, union fees, deductables are taken out of your paycheque each month!

For some, that wouldn't even cover the cost of a mortgage payment each month... let alone if you want to eat or wear clothes sometimes!

lawl $18,000 will cover all of that relatively nicely. If you want to have some more spending money then you find a share house.

$35,000 is a good starting salary. If you get married you income should double making housing more affordable.

that being said ASIF @ wife and kids.

lawl $18,000 will cover all of that relatively nicely. If you want to have some more spending money then you find a share house.

$35,000 is a good starting salary. If you get married you income should double making housing more affordable.

that being said ASIF @ wife and kids.

hmnn.. I don't know anywhere where you can live on $18 000 per year nicely!

Remember that 35000 per year does not mean you get to keep anywhere near that amount.

Someone making over 50000 per year here, will only be bringing home about 35000

if your mortgage payments for a small one bedroom apartment in an average area are 1500 per month plus... then how do you suggest 18000 will cover it??

Remember there are taxes, food and other expenses.

Archived