Open Club  ·  30 members  ·  Free

Book Talk

Anyone recommend a good book?

JadedStar

I leafed thru the threads in this book forum to see if my question might already be answered but it seems most of the threads are relating to non fiction books. I am looking for opinions on a good best seller or a good thriller...fiction is fine.

I have gone thru all of the books that i have now and am ready to buy another one.

Dean R Koontz is one of my favorite suspense writers so that gives an idea of the type of novels i like...but i have read all kinds of novels this past year that I enjoyed that are not even thrillers...

Going to the bookstore later this evening. All suggestions welcomed!

Hi JS - I just recommended this author to someone else:

Haruki Murakami - Dance Dance Dance

and also Kafka in the World (I think that is the title).

I also like almost all of Elinor Lipman (Lippman??) and especially Isabel's Bed.

Next book on my list - well, I started it while I was away - is Love in the time of cholera.

Some of my recent fav fiction reads are:

The Romanov Prophecy by Steve Berry

The World Without End by Ken Follett

The Borgia Bride by Jeanne Kalogridis

If you'd like to read something a little different look into "The Heroin Diaries" by Nikki Sixx. Very interesting glimpse into the life of a drug addict.

Some of my fave more current reads:

Life of Pi (you probably saw the thread on this one, though)

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time

The Russian Debutante's Handbook

The Time-Traveler's Wife

Harry Potter

The Hours

Suite Francaise (on my to-read list, recommended by my boss)

And a few classics that I love:

The Time Machine

Gone with the Wind

The Thorn Birds

Lord of the Flies

Marjorie Morningstar

The Bonfire of the Vanities

They aren't thrillers but have a lot of emotion in them though but I would recommend anything by Karen Kingsbury. She is a great author and its really hard to put down one of her books.

I definitely don't' have to just read thrillers. My most recent read was "In Memory of Running" and i really liked that..it def wasn't a thriller.

Two on this thread that were suggested that I will check out first are The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time and The Heroine Diaries. They sound very interesting. Thank you love4life and SilverCloud. And batya i am also looking into your suggestions at this time.

After these I might check out some of the others. Thanks to all and i hope people will continue to make suggestions!

Like HappyAsALark said, Nineteen Minutes. Really anything by Jodi Picoult is great. I'm reading another one of her books right now. My goal is to read all of them I read The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time and it was great, you'll love it. I also love Maeve Binchy Books, especially Tara Road. First Person Plural by Adam West I think is a great book about his struggle with Dissociative Identity Disorder (multiple personalities).

One of my all-time favorites is There Are No Children Here by Alex Kotlowitz. He's a journalist that went into a Chicago ghetto in the 80's and followed two young brothers. It was incredible.

Oohh and the Mole People by Jennifer Toth. She studied the underground homeless in New York City. Such a good book.

Ok, now I need to go read....

I am a huge reader; though during school I have little time to read other than massive textbooks & casebooks! The weekend before winter term started, I read through 5 books in two days to get my "fix" to last me a couple months until "reading week" (where I will in reality be working on essay's and other assignments anyway...)!

Not a "thriller" but EXCELLENT in my opinion is "Water for Elephants". The story seems a bit "kooky" at first glance (it involves circuses and elephants!), but I found it an excellent, engaging read. I could really NOT put it down even once....

The previously mentioned "Time Traveler's Wife" is great too!

I have ALWAYS been a fan of Roald Dahl too - you know, the one that wrote Matilda, James & The Giant Peach, Charlie & The Chocolate Factory - he wrote some great "lesser known" ones too as well as some "black humour" for adults (short stories). Great, fun reads...no matter what your age!

Hi JS - I just recommended this author to someone else:

Haruki Murakami - Dance Dance Dance

and also Kafka in the World (I think that is the title).

I also like almost all of Elinor Lipman (Lippman??) and especially Isabel's Bed.

Next book on my list - well, I started it while I was away - is Love in the time of cholera.

Kafka on the Shore

I recommend the English crime novelist Ruth Rendell - she's good.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Recent Reads:

The Innocent Man by John Grisham... It was an okay book. It was an interesting story, but I think Grisham failed at making the reader actually care about the main character (it was a true story).

Infidel By Alyaan Ali - Excellent Read. I would highly recommend this book to anyone.

Stardust - The movie followed the book fairly closely. The author frequently uses run-on sentences as a literary tool. This sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. It was creative and imaginative, but I liked the movie better.

Currently reading: The Ruins by Scott Smith. I am only half way in it, but so far I am really enjoying it. It's a page turner where you don't want to put the book down. His writing style is effective where he gives enough detail so that the reader feels like they can see the locations, but not so much that the reader becomes bored.

The Time Traveller's Wife - very lovely love story with an interesting twist. The guy travels through time but is unable to affect when it happens and where he goes. So the couple have a love story going on at various points in time as he comes and goes at various ages. Sounds confusing but its very well done and moving.

This clever and inventive tale works on three levels: as an intriguing science fiction concept, a realistic character study and a touching love story. Henry De Tamble is a Chicago librarian with "Chrono Displacement" disorder; at random times, he suddenly disappears without warning and finds himself in the past or future, usually at a time or place of importance in his life. This leads to some wonderful paradoxes. From his point of view, he first met his wife, Clare, when he was 28 and she was 20. She ran up to him exclaiming that she'd known him all her life. He, however, had never seen her before. But when he reaches his 40s, already married to Clare, he suddenly finds himself time travelling to Clare's childhood and meeting her as a 6-year-old. The book alternates between Henry and Clare's points of view, and so does the narration. Reed ably expresses the longing of the one always left behind, the frustrations of their unusual lifestyle, and above all, her overriding love for Henry. Likewise, Burns evokes the fear of a man who never knows where or when he'll turn up, and his gratitude at having Clare, whose love is his anchor.

Black Jewels Trilogy - in the dark fantasy vien, I like this trilogy by Anne Bishop. If you want a single book, The Invisible Ring is a good introduction to the world. The prophecy of a coming Queen destined to shake the foundations of the Dark Kingdom heralds a war of intrigue and Machiavellian politics as three rivals seek control over the innocent young girl fated to ascend to greatness. Lavishly sensual and overtly erotic, Bishop's fantasy debut features a richly detailed world based on a reversal of standard genre cliches of light and darkness. Fans of Tanith Lee's Flat Earth series may appreciate this adults-only series opener. Large libraries may want to consider for their fantasy collections.

I`ll also give a nod to Robert J Sawyer's works. He`s a Canadian sci-fi writer and his latest is Rollback.

Sawyer's latest concerns the reply to a message sent 38 years previously, responding to an alien radio transmission. Sarah Halifax worked on the team responsible for translating the original received message, and clearly she may be vital to the second. But she and her husband have just celebrated their sixtieth anniversary, and neither expects to live much longer. A hyperwealthy benefactor offers to pay for her to have a rollback, a somewhat experimental rejuvenation process, and agrees to another for husband Don, too. The process works for Don but not for Sarah. While Don struggles with second youth, Sarah continues translating the message. Sawyer's investigation of rejuvenation--especially difficult for a man with the body of a 25-year-old married to an octogenarian--and of massively time-delayed communication with aliens loads a fascinating story with difficult issues. Don makes mistakes, yet he and Sarah are good people and thoughtfully constructed characters. Rollback exploits two staple sf tropes to produce a nicely executed, human-scale story.

Oh I got some ideas for you. I see you like Dean Koontz, have you read Dark Rivers of the Heart, absolutely fantastic book! Books that I would recommend are The Stand by Stephen King, The Dark Tower Series also by King. A really odd one that I really liked was called Rule of the Bone by Russell Banks, I seriously could not put it down!

Some of my recent fav fiction reads are:

The Romanov Prophecy by Steve Berry

The World Without End by Ken Follett

The Borgia Bride by Jeanne Kalogridis

If you'd like to read something a little different look into "The Heroin Diaries" by Nikki Sixx. Very interesting glimpse into the life of a drug addict.

Silver Cloud, have you read "Pillars of the Earth" by Ken Follett? World Without End is the sequel to it, and it's the most amazing book ever!

• 4 weeks later...
Nineteen Minutes by Jodi Picoult

I: The Creation of a Serial Killer

By Jack Olsen

(this book I recommend you have a strong stomach but it is very very good.)

I'm reading "Nineteen Minutes" right now...I'm about 100 pages in. I like it so far.

I just read John Grisham's new one, "The Appeal." Ok, I have to admit that I don't think Grisham is a great writer at all, but I love the plots of some of his stories, and this one had a good plot.

I would also recommend "Reservation Road." Unfortunately, I don't know who the author is -- I can't remember. Apparently, it was being made into a film, but I'm not sure if it ever came out.

The Memory Keeper's Daughter by Kim Edwards was the best book I've read in awhile... totally engaging. I'm also reading Jodi Picoult's My Sister's Keeper right now and it's really good so far.

I started "The Memory Keeper's Daughter" and haven't finished it, but I liked what I had read so far. "My Sister's Keeper" was good; it had an ending I could not have predicted, and I just liked the whole premise of the story -- sad, but fascinating at the same time.

A few others:

"Saturday" by Ian Mc Ewan (author of "Atonement" -- also a good one)

"The Secret History" by Donna Tartt

"The Myth of You and Me" by Leah Stewart

"The Liar's Diary" by Patry Francis (just read this one)

"The Lake of Dead Languages" and "The Drowning Tree" (both by Carol Goodman)

Lots of stuff by Margaret Atwood, mainly "Alias Grace," "Then Handmaid's Tale" and "Cat's Eye" (my favorite)

I just looked at my bookshelf and realized that I have DOZENS of books I haven't read. I haven't been able to concentrate well the last few months (mainly due to *relationship* issues) but I've read three books in the last week, and I am suddenly dying to read more!

Archived