Late pregnancy cramping / contractions

Alezia

Hi,

I was seeking advice from more knowledgeable pregnant ladies or mothers.

Is heavy cramping (for more than an hour straight) accompanying lower back pain very common in late pregnancy? Does it signal that labor is coming soon?

I've had these for the past 2 days and the baby has dropped quite considerably. I used to have small contractions but these are quite intense.

The doctor told me most first time mothers make it to or passed 40 weeks but now I'm not oh so sure I will. I am hitting 38 weeks tomorrow. How much longer of this will I have to bear? lol =)

If it continues I would maybe make a call or visit to be checked out. I had my son at 38 1/2 weeks and had the same pains you explained. They felt like really bad constant menstrual cramps in my lower stomach and lower back. I thought it was nothing except normal pains but I was actually in labor.

Sounds like the time is coming quickly Good luck!!

That's the thing... these contractions don't fit in the description of Braxton Hicks contractions. They match a lot more the true labor contractions' description I'm afraid =| I've had quite my share of Braxton Hicks contractions in the past... these feel different. My Braxton Hicks didn't hurt my back at all and would go away shortly after changing positions etc...

They have stopped for now (they are quite mild) but if they keep getting worst and I keep seeing the baby drop I think I will head to the hospital.

I'm thinking they aren't Braxton Hicks contractions but maybe the false labor contractions which the website suggests.

I had real labor contractions for 2 days before I finally went into active labor. They were 3-5 minutes apart and were strong enough that I couldn't talk through them (let alone sleep, so by the time I gave birth, I'd missed 2 nights of sleep). I kept telling myself they were BH contractions but it turns I was already 7 cm dilated when the midwife came to check on me.

If I were you, I'd go to the hospital and let them check how far along you are. Either that, or ask your man to read up on how to deliver a baby at home! haha.. I bet you're close.

I'm not entirely sure if I've had spotting. It did seem like it a few days ago but I was a bit too much of a coward to gawk at the toilet paper. It wasn't much if I did.

I was also told not to expect my water to break. Only 10% of people actually have their water break which is what I was relying on.

I can't time my contractions that is the thing. They give me constant pain for 1+ hr straight.

Im 2 days overdue and for the last 5 days I guess I have had really bad lower back pain and mild cramping.. I havent slept the last two nights because of the back pain and being so darn uncomfortable.. I would have thought this is it and I would be in labour already but Im not!!!!

Hang in there!

Eugh! I feel your pain girl... I really hope I am not overdue as I will have to wait a whole extra 10 days after my due date before they will induce me!

I wonder if I beg and plea if they will be more flexible haha! I don't think I can realistically go another 20 days in the pain!

Oh I'm crossing my fingers for you!!! I hope your induction is tomorrow.

I'll have to find out at my next appointment if there is a way to get the induction done before 10 days. I would hope so but it seemed pretty standard unfortunately.

Patience Ladies!

I completely understand where you are coming from, my son was 10 days late, and the Dr. had told me 3 weeks earlier "Could be any day now...." I felt like a beached whale and I SOOOO wanted to meet my baby and begin our new family life...

I begged to be induced and my Dr., wisely refused....

Why? Because induction is merely a series of steps designed to FORCE your body to do what it isn't naturally ready to do. And every intervention you introduce increases the likelihood of another intervention becoming necessary..

My SIL insisted on being induced on her due date. She ended up in hospital for an entire weekend and actively pushed for HOURS (her baby was 6lbs 7 oz). I waited until my body was ready, and despite having to have pictocin to advance contractions (my water broke, but no contractions), I only had to actively push for 20 minutes...and my baby was 9-1/2 pounds!!

There are certainly medical reasons for it, as there are medical reasons for emergency C-sections, but "I'm sick of being pregnant and uncomfortable" isn't really one of them...

You want as pleasant a birth experience as possible...I highly recomend you trust your body and wait it out....If your water breaks, that's a different story because it becomes a danger to the baby if they are not delivered within 24-30 hours thereafter..

I am assuming this is your 1st baby? I wish you both well. But I suggest you take this opportunity to practice surrendering to things beyond your control and building your patience...you're going to need it!

It'll come soon enough, and your world will never be the same!

Best wishes for a safe and healthy delivery....

I had my appt today.. my doctor says my cervix is being absorbed and I am about 2 cm.... He scheduled my induction for MOnday but said he didnt think I would make it until then... I had to go for an ultrasound and non stress test. The u/s tech wasnt happy with my baby's movement and called my doctor to suggest we get this baby out now.. he said just to wait until Monday... I feel so scared and nervous now... I was also told that since they are so busy my induction might not be till Tues or Wed.

I did hear that being induced is much worse then going into labour naturally.. I really hope my baby comes on her own before Monday. I realize being uncomfortable isnt a good enough reason for being induced but now I am scared something will happen to my baby.

Induction is a lot worst than natural delivery. The contractions are square instead of normalized (round). I'm not sure if you know what I mean but basically they are tougher to handle.

I hope all goes well with your delivery and hopefully you can have it naturally before Monday. I assume mother nature knows a few things

Have you noticed your baby dropping considerably? Or any visible signs on the outside? I guess it's impossible to guestimate when the baby will arrive but I'm hopeful that it won't be in 3 weeks

Hi Mousty,

A good way to tell if your contractions are real or are Braxton Hicks are to drink a large glass of water and rest. BH contractions go away with rest and hydration- and you are spot on that dehydration irritates muscle tissue and causes cramping of the uterus. "Real" contractions do not go away with rest and hydration.

Here's hoping you go sooner rather than later.

Oh trust me I did some drinking, moving around, sitting, lying down, hot bath etc... I just don't get why they last so many hours!!! They always say a big max of 10-15 minutes... yeah right >_

I haven't lost my mucus plug yet, hopefully I will soon =) Should be a good sign if you have lost your mucus plug though yay!!! (maybe i'm just too optimistic too)

Archived