Why are people so nasty to overweight people?

What is it about being overweight that negates your status as a human being? Why do so many think that weight is a perfectly acceptable reason to treat another person like they are less of a person? Why do people feel they have the right to criticize and ridicule another person because of weight?

A person is a person is a person no matter their weight, shape, face, color, gender, sexual orientation. Respect and kindness are a lot easier than nasty and hateful.

Life isn't grade school, people need to grow up!

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

people mean to you or something? sounds like a rant.

i don't clown on people's weight unless it's like whoa. i don't put people's feelings down though. not like when i was younger, i joke from afar. so they don't know. not that they are less of a person or anything. i just can't understand how someone can let themselves go and feel comfortable. it's not healthy either. i just have never understood how someone can live with themselves in that condition.

and please people, don't start posting overactive thyroid crap. it's bogus.

I've never been mean to or have witnessed someone else being mean to an overweight person. I have some good friends who are overweight.

Also, I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum - I'm a rail, and I certainly get tired of the "You're so skinny!" comments. At the same time, I've learned to crack jokes about my own physical imperfections, too. Being able to laugh at oneself is very important in order to get through life's more difficult times.

There were always be people who are mean to others who dont fit accepted norms.

There are many reasons why they do it. Some do it out of their own insecurity, some are just cruel and born without a conscience, some are not smart enough to realize that it is wrong, etc etc.

It's not just overweight people. Anyone who is not up to snuff by soceity's standards would be subject to this type of nastiness.

EDITED TO ADD: I have not witnessed this in a l ot in life either. I have not really seen anyone blatantly mean to a heavy person but since I am not heavy i can't say I have lived in those shoes. From what I have seen i don't see it in day to day life. I do, however, think that overweight people probably are subject to cruel stares if they are in the icecream shop or things like that.

if you can't laugh at someone's expense, would anything be funny in this world? i'm sure you have seen something about a famous movie star that did something stupid and you laughed right? or someone's nose size? anything. don't tell me you never laughed at anything.

people mean to you or something? sounds like a rant.

i don't clown on people's weight unless it's like whoa. i don't put people's feelings down though. not like when i was younger, i joke from afar. so they don't know. not that they are less of a person or anything. i just can't understand how someone can let themselves go and feel comfortable. it's not healthy either. i just have never understood how someone can live with themselves in that condition.

and please people, don't start posting overactive thyroid crap. it's bogus.

No one was mean to me. I'm sick of seeing people treat others like crap.

For one weight gain happens with hypothyroidism, under active thyroid, weight lose happens with hyperthyroidism, over active thyroid. The thyroid is a significant part of weight control as it controls metabolism, so if its bogus that the metabolic control isn't working how do you explain one of the first signs of thyroid disease being weight change.

i love how if a person was overweight at a table full of people and ordered a bunch of fattening food, it is socially unacceptable for anyone at that table to say anything like "are you eating that?! it's unhealthy to be overweight!!!". Yet, if someone decided to light up at that table, just about everyone would say "are you smoking?! it's unhealthy to smoke!!!".

That's just a funny observation though, I don't smoke.

Now for people being critical about weight. No one should make someone else feel bad because of how they look. It's in poor taste, bad mannered, and frankly, your size in none of their business! Just ignore them. Only your own personal opinion matters when it comes to you.

Yeah have to agree with love4, this is not something I see very often (in fact I can't recall seeing an example of this in last few years).

Who are these people?

Over the last 5 years i have lost over 90lbs.

I was a big girl... I have been on both sides of the spectrum.

People are much nicer to you when you are a "normal" weight.

Before..doors got slammed in my face...now, they rush to open it, i didn't get helped at the stores as quickly, now i'm first to get served... if i wanted a drink at the bar ..i had to wait while the skinnier more attractive women got their drinks faster- i get my drinks much faster now that i'm "normal" weight

If you dont think there is prejudices against overweight people..wear a fat suit for a week...and then we will talk.

i love how if a person was overweight at a table full of people and ordered a bunch of fattening food, it is socially unacceptable for anyone at that table to say anything like "are you eating that?! it's unhealthy to be overweight!!!". Yet, if someone decided to light up at that table, just about everyone would say "are you smoking?! it's unhealthy to smoke!!!".

That's just a funny observation though, I don't smoke.

Now for people being critical about weight. No one should make someone else feel bad because of how they look. It's in poor taste, bad mannered, and frankly, your size in none of their business! Just ignore them. Only your own personal opinion matters when it comes to you.

I think the clear difference is the smoker is affecting the health of those sitting around him. The overweight person is only affecting themselves with their choices.

Before..doors got slammed in my face...now, they rush to open it, i didn't get helped at the stores as quickly, now i'm first to get served... if i wanted a drink at the bar ..i had to wait while the skinnier more attractive women got their drinks faster- i get my drinks much faster now that i'm "normal" weight

If you dont think there is prejudices against overweight people..wear a fat suit for a week...and then we will talk.

I believe you. My dad's best friend went bald at a young age and noticed the same thing. People are just awful.

Butta I am talking about adults. NOt high school and gradeschool.

That is totally different. One can better expect kids who are not matured yet to be foolish this way.

ohh if you talking about adults then i see adults make fun of other peoples weight all the time...........i was in church and the pastor said he saw a fat woman in spandex and she looked like a ripe old pumpkin....with 2 hamhocks for legs he said it was disturbing before the Good Lord

Less then 1% of the over weight population can actually contribute it to an hypoactive thyroid.

Society has made it acceptable to make fun of those poeple even if it is mean. Anyone seen Austin Powers...Fat Bastard ring a bell? It is meant for us to laugh at...nice or not.

But in real life, the poeple who are making fun of over weight poeple are probably struggling with their own insecurities and feel better by hurting others. They know that 'fat' people will hurt with these comments thereby eliminating some of their own pain.

I would venture to say this change in treatment is reflective of the change in your treatment to yourself, though. We respect and admire people who respect and admire themselves. I'm guessing your self-worth has increased since you made the effort to lose weight and people sense that.

actually, second hand smoke has no negative affects.

Right......

Tell that to the waitress up here who got lung cancer from second hand smoke.

To my brother whom has an asthma attack if he is around it.

To babies whom in their non-smoking mothers wombs are exposed to smoke and are lower birth weight and often have other complications.

Second hand smoke has been shown to be just as bad for you if you are exposed to it and breathing it in - it's no different breathing it in second hand as first hand. First hand smoke damages your lungs, taste buds, throat, hair, skin.....so does second hand.

But this is not about second-hand smoking so that is a tangent.

Carnelian - I personally have not seen this kind of thing since junior high (not directly at least) but I do know what you are talking about (there are some cases on here). I don't make fun of people whom are overweight, but I do admit I do sometimes have thoughts that maybe they just aren't taking care of themselves very well (but to be honest I think that of someone whom is very skinny/unhealthy looking too, or whom looks average but loses their breath walking up a flight of stairs as they don't take care of themselves) - I realize sometimes it is due to illness and the like of course, but I admit that sometimes I do have pre-conceptions; and sometimes those are true - sometimes not. I don't make fun of them though.

What is it about being overweight that negates your status as a human being? Why do so many think that weight is a perfectly acceptable reason to treat another person like they are less of a person? Why do people feel they have the right to criticize and ridicule another person because of weight?

A person is a person is a person no matter their weight, shape, face, color, gender, sexual orientation. Respect and kindness are a lot easier than nasty and hateful.

Life isn't grade school, people need to grow up!

It's because there's a stigma attached to someone who is overweight. People think "doesn't take care of her/himself." People think lazy. People think that if this person doesn't care enough about themselves to be in shape then how can they really care all that much about me or about anything else?

I'm not saying that I believe this, but I know that this is what people think. I also know that for some people, their own weight just isn't all that important unless it's attributed to increased health risks. And for some people, it has absolutely nothing to do with laziness or apathy and everything to do with either genetics or a lifestyle that doesn't lend them time to watch their weight and be healthier.

But you could replace "overweight" with anything else. Short, asian, white, black, Muslim, poor, young, old, etc. Take your pic. People are generally afraid of people that aren't like them. So in fear, they judge and hate. It's the sign of a very weak person, and it's almost always a mirror to one's soul.

the wheat waving next to you is healthy and so fine

as is dinner with your loved-ones every day

but your routine is changeless

through the decades of your life

green pastures, open spaces, holy ways

and it must look pretty appealing

the acres of lights

the crowded festive nights

and the millions of others just like you

it must look pretty appealing

this other world of sin

we keep dreaming of what other people do

the person sitting next to you is dismal and deranged

on the bus ride home from work to end your day

and the food on your table is more plastic than protein

and your intellect depends on your TV

and it must look pretty appealing

the pastoral retreat

the folks on old main street

and the few pleasant people just like you

it must look pretty appealing

the simple way of life

we keep dreaming of what other people do

but we never do what other people do

you're too scared of other people not like you

-G.Graffin

I would venture to say this change in treatment is reflective of the change in your treatment to yourself, though. We respect and admire people who respect and admire themselves. I'm guessing your self-worth has increased since you made the effort to lose weight.

I've always had a good self worth ... who i am has not changed just how i look.

Like i said go where a fat suit for a week...and then we'll talk.

there is definitely judgments against overweight people...

even ghost who claims to not make fun of them..stated that he does it out of earshot of them... because ..yeah ..that makes it soooo much better.

ohh if you talking about adults then i see adults make fun of other peoples weight all the time...........i was in church and the pastor said he saw a fat woman in spandex and she looked like a ripe old pumpkin....with 2 hamhocks for legs he said it was disturbing before the Good Lord

When i said i have not witnessed it to a great extent i mean i have not witnessed people being mean or nasty to the person's face. Do i hear fat jokes from people? YEs. But i also hear jokes about all sorts of people. It isn't isolated to overweight people. People crack jokes about anyone who is outside of society's acceptable norms. I try to be more intelligent with my humor and not make fun of people. It really doesn't make you feel better about yourself to do that but some people with low self esteem get a temporary rise from it.

Thinning hair, big noses, skin color, bad teeth, religion, etc. NOthing is sacred when a person feels like cracking bad jokes.

But i thought the OP meant cruelty to their face. I don't see that a lot. I won't say i never do, but i dont see it to a large degree. BUt until i have lived in those shoes I won't know what healing hands means when she says people slam doors on you or give you dirty looks, etc.

Archived