Is makeup essential for a woman to look good, especially when she's in her 30's?

renaissancewoman101

Yes, that's my question. I don't wear makeup a lot, maybe when I go out on a date or sometimes with friends. I won't wear it around my mother usually (although she wears makeup). My mom has always discouraged me from wearing makeup saying I'm too young to have to wear that.

I was out shopping with my mom yesterday and today, and I notice so many women out here who wear makeup and wear it so expertly. Most Asian women out here wear makeup, whether they are thin or chunky. They wear their hair long. They look so damn good. They have guys with them. They're classy. I'm trying to be classy, trying to dress well.

If I wear makeup every day and stuff like that and look good, will I be attractive to a guy? I am doing more social events even though I sometimes would rather just be alone and not do those things. I'm pushing myself out to do things, meet people, etc. People up here in LA dress so DAMN WELL and look so DAMN good. I feel like I am at a distinct disadvantage.

Is make-up wearing, another weapon I have to add to my arsenal?

I have to tip the odds in my favor, for once. I just have to.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well, i know just as many guys who prefer that natural look and a low-maintenence woman as opposed to makeup and takes 4 hours in the bathroom to go out and watch a movie...... just be yourself.

maybe if you see a woman whose style you admire, you can ask her who does her hair and where she buys her clothes....

awww... nahhh you should do what your comfortable with. Ive used make up ever since I was little so to me its esstential... but some people (like my mum) dont wear it and look so radient and beautiful! Wearing make up wont attract guys, it might make you feel alil more confident but thats it really, it doesnt do much then wreak the pores on your face! LOL

I can never be like the women who take four hours to put on makeup (I had a roommate in college that was like that). I wear makeup on occasions but I feel odd in it.

Carnelian Butterfly, I think the superficial mentality is WORSE up here in LA. Being out and about up here reinforces that. People are so show-offish up here. It doesn't seem as bad down in San Diego.

Being comfortable in my own skin has never really netted me a guy either.

Annie, I have a few styles I like and I do shop for those things. I like some funky-type clothes like from places like "anthropologie".

The styles I like or emulate on occasions, do not seem to fit the "in" style out here. I like dressing laid back most times..

As an LA native I know where you're coming from... if people run to the store in sweats it's designer sweats and full hair and makeup. Personally, I wear makeup daily, but keep it minimal (except when I glam it up for a night out).

I wear a mineral powder on my face (quick, provides SPF, and makes my skin look flawless), mineral under-eye brightener, mascara, lip stain or gloss, a sweep of bronzer if I'm looking pale, and sometimes a little eyeliner. My makeup just makes me look awake and polished, but never looks super made-up and the routine takes only 2-3 minutes. As far as hair goes, I let my hair air dry at night and in the morning I put it in large hot rollers while I brush my teeth, get dressed, and put on my makeup. The curlers take less than 5 minutes to heat up and only need to be in my hair for 10.

Makeup is a great way to show off your best features, but you should only do what makes you comfortable. People always tell me how beautiful and put together I look, but I'm usually out the door within 30 minutes of waking. I don't feel like I need makeup to look good and I doubt that it actually attracts men, but I think it's worth the extra couple of minutes. A good routine can actually save you time.

The answers to your questions depend on a few things. I know for myself, I look 100 times better when I put a bit of makeup on. That's because I have brown circles around my eyes and no eyebrows. But a few years ago, when I knew less about makeup, I wasn't even attacking those problem areas. I never could have imagined, for instance, that I could have perfectly-shaped, natural looking eyebrows. On the other hand, I used to wear lipstick, thinking that's just what women did to look better. Since I have thin lips, it actually made me look worse.

Anyway, my point is that makeup can make you look more attractive to men, but it has to be the right makeup for you and applied properly. If you feel odd wearing makeup, maybe it's because you're not doing that.

You know how you can see a stick-thin mannequin wearing something and think it looks fabulous, but when you try it on it looks scary?? Makeup is similar. You really need to find out what works for you.

And, to answer your question directly, NO makeup is NOT essential for a woman to look good. But it could help you get more attention.

I wear makeup nearly every day -- always to work -- but mine is pretty natural looking (I wear mineral make-up also, some cheekbone highlighter, earth-toned eyeshadow and usually a very natural lipgloss or lipstick. I am pale, with lighter hair, so make-up does make me look more "awake" and "alive." I've been wearing it since I was in the 8th grade (when my mom finally said it was OK) and personally, I think I look better with it, but...it's definitely a personal choice, and you shouldn't feel like you have to wear it. A lot of men don't like women to wear make-up -- at least not too much of it -- and instead prefer a more "natural" look. I think, too, that wearing noticeable make-up gives some men the idea that we're "high maintainance," even if that is not really the case.

I think a lot of guys prefer the less make-up look; I know that when I spent the night at my ex's house once, he commented the next morning that I looked almost exactly the same when I woke up as I had the day before (this was after I'd washed off my make-up and slept all night), and he said that was "good." That made me feel good, because it gave me the feeling that my make-up was pretty natural-looking AND that he liked me without make-up.

As for the California thing, I have to take exception...having lived in Southern Cal before (for over 5 years), I will say that yes, there are a lot of superficial types there; however, it is a generalization to say that California as a whole is more superficial than any other state. I live in Northern Cal, and it's A LOT different here than in Southern Cal. I have also lived in Central California, and have found it to be much more laid-back, with a lot more "average-looking" people as opposed to glamour-obsessed types who can't go to the grocery store unless they're in full evening make-up and a designer outfit. California's a big state, folks, the third largest in land area in the the U.S.; L.A. and San Diego are not nearly representative of the California attitude as a whole (though I have nothing against either of those lovely cities!)

Some people look great without makeup. Some people look like their face got mashed up in their pillow overnight along with their hair.

Seriously it all depends. Some people have clearly defined features and some people have features that all run into each other....or pale eyebrows and eyelashes that can't be seen.

Same with hair. Some people have hair that they just need to comb. Other have hair that looks like a big pile of fuzz when they wake up in the morning.

And then there's coloring. Some people have a nice tint to their skin and others are the color of oatmeal.

So if you're one if those people with oatmeal skin, pale eyelashes and eyebrows and features that all run into one another, then yeah, a little makeup's probably going to be a better look for you.

But don't do it for guys sake. Do it because it makes you feel better yourself.

Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.

~ D. H. Lawrence~

I take this quote to mean that you can add makeup to your face, change a hair style, or wear clothes that are fashionable but the essense of beauty and attractiveness comes from within. I wear makeup but there are days I just go around with a plain face and I feel just as comfortable as I do when I am "made up." If makeup isn't normal for you it would be like a tomboy trying to get used to wearing a dress. It just wouldn't work. Embrace whom it is you are and that will shine through brighter than any lipstick or eye shadow.

I want to do it to make myself look better to others, and to make myself feel better. I'm implementing a lot of changes in my life and think this is one area that needs some improvement too.

I want to be attractive to people and to be noticed. I'm a nice and decent person and I personally think I have a nice, outgoing personality when I choose to be.

To me, I think some light makeup would do, not something heavy and that takes a long time to put on.

awww... nahhh you should do what your comfortable with. Ive used make up ever since I was little so to me its esstential... but some people (like my mum) dont wear it and look so radient and beautiful! Wearing make up wont attract guys, it might make you feel alil more confident but thats it really, it doesnt do much then wreak the pores on your face! LOL

If wearing makeup can help my confidence and help me feel more attractive to others, then I'll do it. I need to find some way to manufacture confidence in me, since I feel old and I feel that I won't get someone because I'm over 30.

If it can help me fake the confidence I sorely need, I'll do it.

For once, I want to do things to IMPROVE myself and make me feel better about myself, for that in turn helps my self-confidence and makes me attractive to guys. I've decided to wear contacts and interchange them with a pair of attractive glasses. I have a good job now and can make it on my own. I'm doing more social things, meeting more people, and now I want to look better, younger, and more attractive to people, so I can feel better about myself and raise my self-esteem.

I'm already doing well in the career department. This is next thing to conqueor.

Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.

~ D. H. Lawrence~

I take this quote to mean that you can add makeup to your face, change a hair style, or wear clothes that are fashionable but the essense of beauty and attractiveness comes from within. I wear makeup but there are days I just go around with a plain face and I feel just as comfortable as I do when I am "made up." If makeup isn't normal for you it would be like a tomboy trying to get used to wearing a dress. It just wouldn't work. Embrace whom it is you are and that will shine through brighter than any lipstick or eye shadow.

what she said

My personal opinion I wear make up but don't over do it & it makes me feel alive & great. And the days I don't I feel sick or like I am coming down with the flu. You should dress up & doll yourself up for your own confident.

As much as we say looks dont count when it comes to a relationship, lets first it on our first date what's the first impression? lol

I'm going to try a little experiment tomorrow. I have to run errands tomorrow, aka go to the local Farmer's Market, go pick up some things at the store, and maybe go for a walk in Balboa Park. I will dress up a bit (nothing fancy, but some things I picked up this weekend and that I like, wear some makeup, wear my contacts, etc), and see if people notice me. I'll also smile and think happy thoughts.

Maybe coupled with some happy thoughts and wearing things I feel good in, I won't feel like a pariah, or that I am old and unattractive. And maybe people will actually not be repelled by me and will give me a second glance, instead of noticing my height.

I'm going to try a little experiment tomorrow. I have to run errands tomorrow, aka go to the local Farmer's Market, go pick up some things at the store, and maybe go for a walk in Balboa Park. I will dress up a bit (nothing fancy, but some things I picked up this weekend and that I like, wear some makeup, wear my contacts, etc), and see if people notice me. I'll also smile and think happy thoughts.

Maybe coupled with some happy thoughts and wearing things I feel good in, I won't feel like a pariah, or that I am old and unattractive. And maybe people will actually not be repelled by me and will give me a second glance, instead of noticing my height.

you go girl!

let us know of the outcome?

I like make-up a lot, I like the way it can tranform you in subtle ways, so that no one else notices what you've got on (for me, it's the eyebrows, like another poster said).

Anyway, if you're nervous about make-up, a lip gloss makes you look like you've made the most effort with the least. After that, my personal favourite is mascara, I use it on the top eyelashes only, to give that wide eyed and sexy look.

I think when you're wearing make-up, the key is to look BETTER, not made-up. So I like to wear a good foundation and concealer (which is invisible to anyone else), so that my skin looks flawless. Then subtly emphasise eyes and lips, but not in an obvious way.

I don't know, I don't think you SHOULD wear make-up, but for me, it can transform me from pretty to beautiful, and it's very very subtle. Play about with it, find out what you like and what you don't like, and try all the tips in the magazines, which are pretty good.

If you're really not used to make-up, Bobby Brown is great, because the shades are so subtle and easy to use, you can pretty much smear it on and it won't make you look clown like.

Have fun!

Archived