is not wearing makeup unprofessional?

I'm a secretary in a sales and marketing department. 90% of the people in the department are males. All the secretaries are females. Yesterday I was told I can no longer wear jeans on casual Fridays even though they are within the dresscode and others wear them. My jeans are neat, clean, and fit well, neither too tight nor too loose.

I was also told today that I should wear makeup.

Am I wrong to be incensed and feel that this is sexist?

I do a great job for this company and help a lot of people every day. I have added value to this position. Shouldn't that be all that counts? I really feel that if I were a man, this would not be an issue.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sadly I have been in your position. I worked at a bank (side job as a student). I was taking phone calls and never met clients in person. Yet we had a 'dresscode' and I was told I should wear makeup. Not that if I didn't I would lose the job, but it was said as if I was a nutcase for not wearing any. I think it is offending and sexist, and told them exactly that. But then I had nothing to lose because it was temporary. Is this a careerjob for you? Is this an incident? How do other women feel about this issue?

](*,)

Arwen

Well men don't wear make-up so how can you compare that?

Your office shouldn't necessarily tell you to be putting on make-up. That should not matter. Unless your really hidous and clients stray away or something that they think make up will help you look more decent?

Well, I am a secretary, so clients do not usually see me. I am neat and clean and do not have acne/scars/anything that needs covered up on my face, unless freckles are offensive. My skin is good, I might be a little on the pale side, but that's it.

I'm saying that a man wouldn't be picked over with a fine-toothed comb the way that women are.

are you wrong? no

overreacting yes

just slap some make up on your face like you women do and call it a day

you dont want too be fired for not obeying rules right?

and men have just as much trouble with dress codes, i dont exactly like wearing sneakers with my uniform but its policy.

It's not a rule nor is it policy. And I'm not overreacting. And I'm not going to put a bunch of crap on my face just to appease the sexist alpha males who work in this office.

Sadly I have been in your position. I worked at a bank (side job as a student). I was taking phone calls and never met clients in person. Yet we had a 'dresscode' and I was told I should wear makeup. Not that if I didn't I would lose the job, but it was said as if I was a nutcase for not wearing any. I think it is offending and sexist, and told them exactly that. But then I had nothing to lose because it was temporary. Is this a careerjob for you? Is this an incident? How do other women feel about this issue?

](*,)

Arwen

No it's not a career job. It supports my daughter and I and I'm not going to be fired for not wearing makeup. I told them I believe it's sexist and ridiculous. I'm just holding on as long as I need to get my education.

It's not a rule nor is it policy. And I'm not overreacting. And I'm not going to put a bunch of crap on my face just to appease the sexist alpha males who work in this office.

yes but in this position if you dont its highly likely someone will screw you over and may fire you for some sort of insubordination.

unless you rather take this too your boss, which is what you should do if you feel this way

but if not

come too a compromise, slap it on half of your face and leave the other half with no make up

So the guys can wear jeans and you can't?

The make-up thing is a personal choice, and frankly you shouldn't wear it if you don't want to. Anyone suggesting such should be informed that make-up, while used by many, is non-essential, full of junk chemicals unless you buy the hypo-allergenic stuff which is expensive. Ask them to wear make-up if its such an important thing for them.

PS: freckles are awesome!

Don't change for them, for SURE. I think you are completely right. And being a phreckeled gall as well- they are beautiful and should not be covered with foundation or powder. I find make up not so beautiful on myself because most makeup doesn't suit my features at all. I have blond eyelashes and eyebrows, it looks completely unnatural if I paint them black. But it's a personal thing. It can look gorgeous on others.

I don't think you are overreacting at all. Plus, I think the kind of shoes/dresscode issues are something else than what you should put on your face or not. I wouldn't wear uniforms as well- but then I also don't chose for jobs that require them.

Be who you are, it sounds like you do a good job.

Arwen

yes but in this position if you dont its highly likely someone will screw you over and may fire you for some sort of insubordination.

unless you rather take this too your boss, which is what you should do if you feel this way

but if not

come too a compromise, slap it on half of your face and leave the other half with no make up

LOL you cannot be fired for refusing to wear makeup. It's not insubordination.

I'm just asking if it's unprofessional to not wear makeup. That's all. Obviously no one here believes it's unprofessional.

If it is not policy, then you might want to point that out to them, provided you aren't placing a great deal of importance on being viewed in a favorable light within the company.

If you do value the job, then just play along, dress the part, be a good little corporate slave and continue to pick up your paycheck in a timely fashion.

It's not exactly ideal, but nobody ever said the world was fair. You have to know when to pick your battles. I feel your pain, but what can you do? Part of being a professional is complying with whatever is requested of you to the best of your ability. Comes with the territory.

I say throw some make up on and get on with it. There are very few women in this world who can get away with the all natural look. Luckily god created make-up for the rest of us so we can fake it!

Personally I think women who go all natural look frumpy which to me equals unprofessional. Is this sexist? Of course it is. Society in general in sexist. Men don't need make up so thereforeeee they don't look frumpy without it. Is it fair? No. But hey who ever said life was fair?

LOL you cannot be fired for refusing to wear makeup. It's not insubordination.

I'm just asking if it's unprofessional to not wear makeup. That's all. Obviously no one here believes it's unprofessional.

no you can not but with the anmount of shady people who go behind your back and fire you small things like this and call it some big named word such as "A broken rule under section 6 in the by laws of this company"

thats what i was saying beacuse im well aware of people trying too do shady things and then act like they know not what it was.

me personally wear make up dont wear make up its your choice, aslong as you work well you can work in the nude.

are you wrong? no

overreacting yes

just slap some make up on your face like you women do and call it a day

you dont want too be fired for not obeying rules right?

and men have just as much trouble with dress codes, i dont exactly like wearing sneakers with my uniform but its policy.

I agree w/SBJ, I think you're overreacting.

No one says you have to look like a Mary Kay sales person, just put on some mascara and lipgloss. That's it. Not a big deal.

I say throw some make up on and get on with it. There are very few women in this world who can get away with the all natural look. Luckily god created make-up for the rest of us so we can fake it!

Personally I think women who go all natural look frumpy which to me equals unprofessional. Is this sexist? Of course it is. Society in general in sexist. Men don't need make up so thereforeeee they don't look frumpy without it. Is it fair? No. But hey who ever said life was fair?

Women have been conditioned to accept all kinds of stuff just for the sake of men's wishes. It's not ok. Why should we sell ourselves out? I'm not at working trying to attract a mate for God's saske.

You know I don't have anything against makeup, I wear it when I feel like it. What I have a problem with is the quality of my work being disregarded because I don't always wear makeup to work. Wearing makeup is a bigger issue than the quality of my work? That's not even logical.

Natural women don't look frumpy, they just don't look fake. Make-up is not a mark of professionalism, hard work and integrity are aspects of professionalism.

I didn't say pile on 10lbs of make-up. But a little make-up goes a long way. Could be a little mascara or lip gloss. I work in a very professional atmosphere and honestly it would be hard to envision any of my female co-workers not wearing any.

The whole point of make-up is to highlight your natural beauty and maybe hide a few flaws. If done correctly it looks as though your not even wearing any. Any good make-up artist will tell you that you shouldn't look like your wearing make-up. You should still look you, just a little better.

I wouldn't consider that fake. Also one thing that I would like to point out is that too much make-up can be just as "frumpy" or unprofessional as not wearing any.

I didn't say pile on 10lbs of make-up. But a little make-up goes a long way. Could be a little mascara or lip gloss. I work in a very professional atmosphere and honestly it would be hard to envision any of my female co-workers not wearing any.

I agree completely. I work in a professional environment too and if my co workers and myself didn't wear makeup at all, well it just would be really weird.

I wear mascara, and chapstick, that's really all it takes. You don't have to pile it on.

It's totally not sexist, however, very superficial. But hey, that's the business world and what they're doing is marketting.

I don't think that is the ideal place to work at, but if you enjoy your work then ufortunately, you must put up with that.

Sorry, but that's reality

Honestly, I've never heard of such a request being made by a company unless it was actually part of your job description. If you worked at the MAC or Sephoria counter at the mall; then yes, it would be obviously clear that you needed to wear make-up to work.

This is just a weird situation. I'm clearly pro make-up yet I am a bit conflicted because I don't see how they can actually make such a request.

Archived