Chances of Marrying Your High School Sweetheart?

ashley001

My boyfriend and I have been in a relationship since we were sophomores in high school. Throught high school, we maintained a solid relationship, even with tough times and fights, we got through them because our love was real. For our first year of college, he's in California, and I'm in New York. It's been about 2 months since I moved and we call regularly, see each other on webcam. We're always there for each other. Even though it's way different because there's no physical aspect...our trust has been put to the test. We're both faithful and would die for each other. We make each other happy in every aspect. Before I moved, together we made the decision to stay together, to have a long distance relationship, and we'd visit every few months. Not being able to see each other everyday makes us realize how strong our love is. We talk about spending eternity together, and getting married, and have 3 kids and we know that we want each other to spend our futures together...

I just want input on high school sweetheart relationships...I don't ever see myself with anyone else.

Does he ever see himself with anyone else, said that and maybe really does?

well thats really sweet!! congrats!! as long as you both had some sort of prior relationships and don't feel the need to explore more in a relationship or have a first kiss, first that again, it should be okay!

having a long distance relationship really puts it to the test, because its also as you don't know what the other person is really doing. being in two states its easy to lie, so im glad you two are being faithful and trust each other to the fullest extent. its good that you guys chose to be together long distance!! =]

good luck with everything!! i rarely see high school sweethearts make it though, but if you can survive a long distance then maybe you can make it together.

Statistically high school relationships have a very slim chance of surviving long term, simply because of age, maturity, the changes that a teen and twenty something goes through, and the college experience, especially when separated.

But as SG said, it does happen. It's rare, but it does happen sometimes.

Good luck!

when i was a sophmore in high school i began dating the guy i thought i was going to marry. we had some rough times, but we made it into college. it didnt work out for us, but that was just us. it was tough, but we moved on and im in another relationship now...going on 2 years. so basically, what im trying to say is that i do believe it is possible for high school sweethearts to make it (my grandparents did), but if it doesnt work out..its not the end of the world even though it may feel like it. don't let people tell you it will never work, because they dont know you're relationship the way you do. but also keep in mind that there are many other guys out there and a world of experiences for you to go through. keep your head on straight with good perspective and you'll be just fine no matter what happens!

You wanna know if your relationship will last? That is impossible to guess! Maybe yes or maybe no. But! There is good news.

Bottom line, either way, things will work out. If you stay with him youll be happy, but i can promise from personal experience that if it doesnt work out, you will find someone who you "cant see yourself without" again.

I just started college a month ago (exactly a month today). I've been with my boyfriend since 8th grade - we started going out when we were stupid kids, but then we matured together and developed a really deep, special bond. He is staying back in my hometown, 3 hours away, working. So far, the long-distance relationship has been really tough, even though I've been running home crying to see him every weekend. I am not planning on making this a habit, however, because I believe that in order to adjust to college life I need to experience the non-school aspect of it.

He is extremely supportive, and he encourages me to stay and demands nothing of me that I cannot give. He wants me to succeed, and he wants me to enjoy college. My being here has really strengthened our relationship in that it has showed me how loyal we are to each other and the extent to which he wishes my well-being.

Sometimes I feel really resentful of this place (my college), and I feel like it is getting in the way of my relationship and my plans for marriage. Now I realize that those things will happen regardless and that this is my one chance for college, and I have to seize it no matter the cost. My relationship has survived for five years, and if it is truly right for me, it will survive the next four.

So basically, I am in the same boat as you, and I am very optimistic about Chris and my future. I will try my hardest to make it work, as will he - next year he is moving away from his family and friends to get an apartment with me near my school. Yes, this will take time away from socializing and fun, but a committed relationship demands time and energy that I am more than willing to give.

Best of luck in the future, and let me know how things turn out! I am sure they will turn out exactly as you wish, as long as you remain faithful and keep open communication lines.

I don't know the statistic on high school sweethearts marrying, but I know the statistics of them working out. 2%. 2% of the relationships will work out in the end, the rest won't.

It happens, in every 100 couples, 2 will survive. If you're thinking about medical situations, that's a big percentage.

High school relationships can last when both parties grow at the same rate. Since this does not happen often, most likely statistics will show that they fail at an alarmingly high rate. But it can happen that two people are so compatible that they can grow together and sustain happiness.

Only time can tell what category you will fall in. My mantra is live life for now and be happy and don't worry so much about tomorrow unless it involves your finances.

• 2 years later...

I have been in a relationship with my girlfriend since the beginning of junior year in highshool.We are in the same grade and we are both going off to college. We got super lucky in the fact that our colleges are in the same town.

Even without being so close i know it would work. We have seen hardship that any highschool couple experiances and time spent apart due to sports. The reason i know it will work is because i am dating my best friend. I have seen many highschool couples end due to the effect of college and people changing but that was because they werent right for each other in the end.

I just got lucky to find the right person young. She has become my best friend and my lover, i feel that for a relationship to work, you have to have both.

Archived