Ask For Advice
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to tell someone they're acting rude.

missyou

How to tell someone they're acting rude.

How do you politely tell someone they're acting rude? I want to encourage communication and not offend them.

CaptainPlanet

you let the other person save face

tell them in private

say the first part of it with a smile

say you probably don't realise

tell them they're innocent

but let them know very nicely you don't think what they do is nice

if its ur boss u can't do it

you need to let them save face

private non confrontational and DO NOT attack thier charecter

Hey john you probably don't realise it but my ears are pretty sensitive so when you talk you can be a little bit loud, sorry its probably my fault but you seem to loud to me

as a really lame example.

RooferGirl23
    are they acting rude to just you or people in general? Its a tough one, doing so without upsetting the person.

annie24
    can you be more specific about what is the rudeness? and who is the person in question? how you react to rudeness would be different if that person is your boss, a sister, your SO, an acquaintance, or your 5 year old son.

missyou
    Certain friends and SO, for the most part. If I do something that upsets them, they'll start acting rude instead of telling me what it was that offended them. Rudeness in terms of being curt, making personal shots at me through sarcasm, things like that.

annie24
    what is it that you are doing that upsets them? are you doing these things intentionally or unintentionally?

missyou
    Unintentionally, because I have no idea what I'm doing. They won't tell me.

annie24
    sorry if I'm asking a lot of questions, I just want to understand the situation fully so that I can give you good feedback.

So, what is it exactly that happens? are you out with your friends, having a fun time, then you say something, and everyone goes silent and starts ignoring you?

missyou
    No, to be honest it's really just an SO problem, I mentioned certain friends because I wanted to know what to do in case it did happen with them in the future.

Basically, we'll be talking, and all of a sudden he'll clam up and/or start acting rude. If I ask him what's wrong he'll say nothing.

annie24
    Well, to be honest, I think that something you must be doing is the problem also, otherwise, they wouldn't just clam up and start being rude out of nowhere. you may have inadvertently offended them or said something they are sensitive about.

I would say, "Hey - I notice that you are acting withdrawn now, and I want to understand this. Did I say something that upset you? I'm sorry if I did and I want to know what I said that was wrong so I don't upset you again."

EDIT: Unless..... he just does that, has his mood change rapidly like that and starts being rude and mean to you with no reason at all. If he doesn't give you a reason, and just snaps at you, you should reconsider if you want to be in a relationship with someone that moody and uncommunicative.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Top Threads
I want to change my name, but am afraid of hurting my parent's feelings.
OK, so I kind of strongly dislike my real name--always have--and have always gone by nickname, which is just a shortened version of it. When I was
Minimalism
My most recent ex had told me to try a minimalistic life. Or at least consider what this Japanese author (forgot the book's title) said about
Don't know where to move..
I'm at a point now where I am 28 years old. I've finally finished my degree, and as much as I enjoy the nature and smaller size of the city I live
Please help me. I am suffering
Because of different reasons, I had to take time out from studies. But now and also due to really bad upbringing, I really don't have anywhere to go
change change change.. overhaulin'
So, i've been thinking. I post here a lot, most of which end up just musings rants, and like others, proclamations of love. (GOD I STILL THINK ABOUT
I feel SOOOOO much better ;)
Hello all, I feel like a new human the day has come I left my ex in the past and I feel like a new man, she drug me through dirt and made me a

Expert Advice
Featured Threads
College DRAMA??
*** This is the very FIRST WEEK ***College" as in NOT university- We're all 18 (ish) and live with parents**** Basically, the majority of the
Rude?
I took a girl out for dinner and drinks and didn't get a thank you. And was ghosted mid convo after the date. Now that I'm getting over the
On a dating site...just 2 weeks after break up
Can anyone shine some light on this.... 2 weeks after she dumped me, she is on Match...We were together for 2 .5 years...She dumped me once, then
Are we breaking up? How to act around him?
Hello, I have a problem to which I can't find a solution by myself and would love some advice! Here is the short story: 6 months ago I went to
Caught my partner of 20 years speaking to other men
I have been with my partner for 20 yrs this year,we have a16 he old son together .I love him so much,recently I was online and I found an email from
Am I dating the right guy at the wrong time?
Hi everyone. So..recently I've felt anxious and questioned the strength of my relationship and I'm not entirely sure why. I don't have any reason
Hello everyone tips / advice needed
Thank you everyone for the advice
Ask For Advice