Ask For Advice
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to tell someone they're acting rude.

missyou

How to tell someone they're acting rude.

How do you politely tell someone they're acting rude? I want to encourage communication and not offend them.

CaptainPlanet

you let the other person save face

tell them in private

say the first part of it with a smile

say you probably don't realise

tell them they're innocent

but let them know very nicely you don't think what they do is nice

if its ur boss u can't do it

you need to let them save face

private non confrontational and DO NOT attack thier charecter

Hey john you probably don't realise it but my ears are pretty sensitive so when you talk you can be a little bit loud, sorry its probably my fault but you seem to loud to me

as a really lame example.

RooferGirl23
    are they acting rude to just you or people in general? Its a tough one, doing so without upsetting the person.

annie24
    can you be more specific about what is the rudeness? and who is the person in question? how you react to rudeness would be different if that person is your boss, a sister, your SO, an acquaintance, or your 5 year old son.

missyou
    Certain friends and SO, for the most part. If I do something that upsets them, they'll start acting rude instead of telling me what it was that offended them. Rudeness in terms of being curt, making personal shots at me through sarcasm, things like that.

annie24
    what is it that you are doing that upsets them? are you doing these things intentionally or unintentionally?

missyou
    Unintentionally, because I have no idea what I'm doing. They won't tell me.

annie24
    sorry if I'm asking a lot of questions, I just want to understand the situation fully so that I can give you good feedback.

So, what is it exactly that happens? are you out with your friends, having a fun time, then you say something, and everyone goes silent and starts ignoring you?

missyou
    No, to be honest it's really just an SO problem, I mentioned certain friends because I wanted to know what to do in case it did happen with them in the future.

Basically, we'll be talking, and all of a sudden he'll clam up and/or start acting rude. If I ask him what's wrong he'll say nothing.

annie24
    Well, to be honest, I think that something you must be doing is the problem also, otherwise, they wouldn't just clam up and start being rude out of nowhere. you may have inadvertently offended them or said something they are sensitive about.

I would say, "Hey - I notice that you are acting withdrawn now, and I want to understand this. Did I say something that upset you? I'm sorry if I did and I want to know what I said that was wrong so I don't upset you again."

EDIT: Unless..... he just does that, has his mood change rapidly like that and starts being rude and mean to you with no reason at all. If he doesn't give you a reason, and just snaps at you, you should reconsider if you want to be in a relationship with someone that moody and uncommunicative.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Top Threads
What eNotAlone gave you?
I wonder mostly about long-time members who decided to be a part of this community. Has this forum enriched your lives, and if so, in what
True Happiness?
Came across an article that talked about people who are happy all the time just try to boost their ego to gain happiness. But it got me thinking on
Bad moods...
Hi all, It has been a while since I posted on these fantastic forums that have helped me get over three breakups, but I have spent a couple of years

Featured Threads
What eNotAlone gave you?
I wonder mostly about long-time members who decided to be a part of this community. Has this forum enriched your lives, and if so, in what
How to end things with him
Iíve been dating this guy for 2 months. In the beginning he was very sweet and romantic, however I learned in the last month or so that he is
My ex bf told me he wants sex, nudes and me to loan him money until he's stable... Should I lend $?
Hello.. I am 22 I met my ex bf (21) 3 years ago in college. He dropped out of college after the first semester.. he didn't go to finals. He stayed in
How Should I have handled it?
My GF and I were together for about 5 months. Things were great except for some of my questioning her online activity which challenged her. All
My Ex Husband still berates me
Hello, first off I am not sure why I am on a forum but.. I need an anonymous outlet I guess because my friends and family all say the same thing
Yall ready for a messed up one...
Okay, so i cheated on my bf about 6 month ms into our relationship with a guy 20 years older then me at our work. And it was a rule that it was only
Iím at a really bad state of mind right now
Itís been a little over the month since the breakup, since then, heís messaged me 2-3 times about random topics (that I donít care about), and has
Ask For Advice