High Functioning Autism and ADHD

My friend has it, I'm just wondering what it means? I know what ADHD is, and somewhat what Autism is, but like, what is it? How does it effect the person? Can the person lead a normal life?

My friend appears fine, and doesn't seem to like, be all... how autism and adhd is like... he seems okay... but like, I don't get it.

Any information is really grateful... I've tried searching about it but seriously, I just don't get it...

if you've read that book the curious incedent of the dog in the nightime the main character is autistic and the book displays a lot of the typical traits an autistic person may suffer from. I am sorry to hear your friend has these problems. My understand of autism is very limited but from what I understand autistic people often have difficulty relating to emotions and have a very basic understanding of feelings so they can appear rude and insensitive. I have also heard that people suffering from autism have a strong aversion to being touched and will react very badly, there are also certain colors that make them freak and that they hate for certain reasons that would seem illogical. ADHD is attention deficit is it not?

If he has Asperger's Syndrome or high-functioning autism it doesn't mean he has no feelings, or lacks empathy. He just may have problems recognizing social - emotional cues in other people. There are degrees of severity with this. Everyone is different. The book Stranded247 mentioned 'The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time' might be worth reading. It's very good. It might help you understand what's going on in his head...sometimes.

ADHD is Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder. He is probably on a drug called Ritalin to control it.

sarey,

My son who is 19 has some type of autism, at least that is what several doctors have told us they "think". I found a website with a poem last year that made me cry because it describes my son exactly. I wrote the author, and she sent me a copy in the mail.

But like Cimmie said, there are many levels in the autistic spectrum. Not one person is the same.

link removed

ALONE IN THE CROWD

for Brett

Alone in the crowd.

A cliché, they say.

For me, it’s my life.

How I live day to day.

In my head are my friends like Thomas and Pooh.

I go to see them when there’s nothing to do.

I know no other way to be

And only I know just what I see.

I’m told I need to be like you.

It’s what everyone does. It’s what I should do.

It’s just too hard. I can’t see it your way.

I’ll tell you my story if I may.

So many things are too loud or too bright.

If I say so myself, I have excellent sight.

My own little world is a comfortable place.

I do everything there at my own pace.

I repeat things I’ve heard from videos and books.

Over and over again until I get looks.

Mom and Dad say, “Use your own words.”

And I think, “These are my own words. Haven‘t you heard?”

Sometimes my Mommy cries for me.

She wants some answers. She wants the key.

If only she knew there is no key.

She has to love me just for me.

She knows where to find me, though it may be loud.

She’ll find me there “ALONE IN THE CROWD“.

- Karen Emigh, Brett’s Mom

That poem almost made me cry...

My friend though, he seems fine, he doesn't appear to have much difficulty in understanding emotions/relating... he does sing songs he's heard alot and repeat them, but I do that too? He whistles aswell, but, then again, I do too, so I find it like, fine?

Meh. I can understand alot about people with autism and ADHD, I've got friends with autism, a step brother with ADHD, friends with ADHD, so I sorta get used to how they are, but they appear just like any other person, just with a bit of specialty in them, I guess.

But anyway. My friend actually doesn't seem like he has either of these, he told me he does though, so I sorta... look at him differently now...

He isn't on medication, he said he chooses not to be, he doesn't like the thought of it. My step brother is on medication and stuff. But... yeah, he seems fine... I think...

*scratches head*

Hello there,

In my opinion your friend is very blessed to have you in his life. Ya know, people who have autism are often loners so it's great that he has a friend like you and that he trusts you .

I think you should continue to treat him as you did before you found out.

There seems to be degrees to almost every sort of disorder.

Last night my sister called and said her daughter, who is about your age, has a slight case of spinabifida. My sister nearly fell out. This is a spinal disorder that is terribly serious in its worst form. But my niece has never had any problems at all. The reason she was having an x-ray is because of back pain, but as much as she plays sports that would explain it. Now she is going around telling everyone at school that she has spinabifida.

Just try your best not to think of your friend any differently. He is still the same nice guy he's always been. I hate those labels anyway.

I don't really think of him a whole lot differently, just... a bit ... weird around him , I guess. Because I know how my step brother is, and apparently he has autism too??? *According to my father*. But anyway. I just think of it a bit different because of how my step brother is, and think of him when I'm speaking to my friend. Makes me a bit edgey, you know?

Ah my brother has Attention Deficit and he is on Ritalin. But is your friend hyper active all the time? Or is he just normal. Because apparently there are two types of ADHD. One where the person is over active and incredibly loud to the point of irratation and few people have patience to deal with them. My brother is totally different he has it mildly but he takes Ritalin because there are something called dopamine in his brain which dont function very well so as a result he is very easily distracted, passive, quiet and withdrawn. But giving him Ritalin has made him more assertive, confident and he has gained a lot of popularity at school because of this. What is your friend like, does he fit the either two descriptions (very generalized, i know) of ADHD i just gave?

Archived