Losing Friends to World of WarCraft aka WOW

Okay I officially despise this game. Quick history for people that have no clue what I am talking about, this is an online kind of like role playing game where you create these characters then fight together in like guilds or something of that nature. I have never played it, but I have heard enough about it to make me sick. I have lost a ton of friends to this game. Everyone I know that has ever started playing this game NEVER leaves their computer chair. I'll call such and such friend and say he lets do something this day, "Well I have a guild meeting for WOW." Well what about this day, "Well we have a patrolling at this time that day." GET A FREAKING LIFE AND GET OFF OF THE COMPUTER is what I want to scream. I have talked to so many people that have lost friends to this game too. Games that addicting should be illegal. All of my friends that play that game constantly talk about the game too! And even use the game termanology in everyday language. It is like a cult. They all always try to get me to start playing, well I am not a video game person for one, I would much rather buy pretty shoes than games, and I just tell them I have a life and I don't want to get sucked into that realm of existence. It is quite scary. So my question is, have any of you lost friends to this game??

**DISCLAIMER**I am not saying that all people that play this game are stuck infront of their computer and have no life, I am just stating my friends are this way and I mostly say that, well, because they are always in front of their computer, and it is annoying.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hehe sorry had to giggle. I must admit i'm a big MMORPG'ER but i play Dark Age Of Camelot. I have played W.O.W but did'nt find it that good. Very childish game but very easy to get addicted to.

It should'nt last long though, WOW is mainly about end game i think and people get bored of the grind, some that is, not all like me and my friend for example.

Plus end game does'nt have an amazing amount of things to do. hehe

I'm thinking of how my mum used to prye me away from my computer... i suppose the offer/idea has to be more interesting. Maybe u should say to your friends you feel like theyre being weirdos!!! there was a young guy who died from a WOW marathon once i think, he played for like 72 hours straight no food or anything, was weeing into a bottle cos he did'nt wanna leave the comp. Sad huh? tell your friends they'll end up like him!! arrghhhh!

It dids annoy me though when my ex would'nt get off the game, i wasn't addicted but he was. I just had to moan alot really, just stand and moan and distract them! or stop inviting them then they'll get upset maybe?

haha! i have played but like i said i got bored cos the grind is stupid.

I suppose there is no real end to it, there can't really be but you can run out of things, people do tend to go back for other reasons though, like credit and when they re/roll other characters

All of my friends tell me that it never ends, and it costs money to even freaking play it. They get all excited when expansion packs come out and they buy the expansion pack and also pay a monthly fee. It is so weird. It is seriously an online cult. And if you ever 2 or more them in the same room, all they talk about is the stupid game and use that weird lingo. I have now counted about 6 friends I have lost to the game. It is kind of scary..

there was a young guy who died from a WOW marathon once i think, he played for like 72 hours straight no food or anything, was weeing into a bottle cos he did'nt wanna leave the comp. Sad huh? tell your friends they'll end up like him!! arrghhhh!

That is so so sad, not even in a pathetic way, but just really upsetting that someone actually did that to themself. I've heard about something similar but it was before WOW. I don't know anyone personally who plays it but I know -of- people that do at my college. It seems like they just slack with their grades rather than with an outside social life when they play it although I really don't know for sure because these are not people I'm friends with, I just hear about it a lot in our student lounge area.

You honestly need to tell them to get more of a life if they're honestly only playing that game with their time-- it's unhealthy. I mean if thats what they do in their FREE time and still hang out with people outside the game and do activities outside the game UNRELATED to the game then that's one thing. But yeah to have some meeting on it, that's really unhealthy. I know there's groups for interests outside of the actual interest, but if that's consuming all their free time then there's a problem there.

But trust me, there's tons of people out there who do not play this game and who would love to go out and buy pretty shoes with you, haha. That's actually what I'm going to do right now is get off this computer and go shopping and then go out tonight!

Yeah this new trend is scary. I have a friend who has succombed to it as well, and it is wreaking her marriage. Actually her husband is my closer friend and he was so miserable about it telling me that she is up til 3 and 4am everynight playing it, neglecting household duties, neglecting time with HIM.

Now I will get on the internet in downtime, actually this is about the only forum i visit LOL, but I can't figure out why anyone would prefer to spend time online vs with their husband or g/f/b/f. No one likes to do housework (most of us dont) and it is common to drag your feet, but i do not get the appeal of these online addictions. For me I hop on the net as i work freelance on the computer and flip back and forth a lot, but i can't see choosing THIS to wonderful dinners out, or romance iwth my husband, or time with my grandaughter.

This is becoming a very real addiction just like drugs, gambling and alcohol. I hear treatment plans are coming out now for game addicts.

It is not all of my friends that have turned to this game, but a lot of them have. And the ones that have do slack a lot with work and school and so forth. Two of them have actually lost their jobs for calling in sick so much just to play the game all day or to be at these online guild meetings. It is quite sad! I wish you lived near me so we could go shopping together!!!

i dnt understand why we have to pay for it tho, it's like they want us to be addicted to it, if we pay for it, our subscription is only for a little while so we wanna get as much done as possible right? in hopes that we can be better at it, but if we just get better and get to the end and theres nothing more to do like training lvls and stuff, whats the point? yay you beat the game jsut like xbox and stuff once you beat it, you forget about it, all that wasted time for basically nothing lol

Well, it was shes2smart who used it so she should get the credit

Ill be sure to let her know that. Thanks!

I used to love playing The Sims and I have all of the expansion packs for The Sims 1 and 2, but I do it in spurts and I def do not neglect people in my life or my duties. That is really the only game I play and I have not played in quite a while. I am telling you it is like a whole other world to them. It is funny but annoying at the same time.

Thats not what happens with an online game, you're never short of things to do, they bring out an expansion all the time, plus they patch and change things, they have numerous characters and races with different effects/spells/movements and endless tasks, quests, raids, battles plus PVP and RVR, its kinda endless

Archived