Letter of Complaint to Best Buy - Job Related

The following is a complaint letter I have sent the Best Buys Corporate Office. I used to work for Best Buy Canada and I got a phone call by my old manager 3 Thursdays ago. They asked me if I was looking for a job and if I would like to go for a interview to get my old job back. Basically I went for an interview on the 9th and I still have not herd anything back from them. I have been calling them back but all they are doing is playing games with me. I called their 1-800-number and told me to send a email to their corporate office, in which I did. I was hoping to get some honest opinions, in regards to my letter or complaint about their service.

Dear Best Buy Canada,

My name is Glegend. I went into your Downsview store in Toronto (Ontario) on July 9th, 2007 for an interview at 2:30 pm for a sales associate position. When I walked into the store, I was 45 minutes early. A greeter who was standing by the door greeting customers. I spoke to him, informing him that I was there to see a gentlemen for an interview at 2:30 pm. He told me your very early and to go to customer service and ask for the gentlemen I was supposed to see five to ten minutes before the interview. After speaking to the greeter I browsed the store where I made a few XBOX video game purchases.

Twenty minutes prior to the interview I approached the customer service geek squad desk. After a few minutes of waiting to speak to a representative, I was approached by a Geek Squad representative. I informed that gentlemen that I was here to see another gentlemen in regards to an interview at 2:30 pm. I gave him the gentlemen's name and he told me to hold on for one second, that he will let the customer service representative behind him know since he was a Geek Squad representative. Immediatley informed the representative behind him and informed me that I will be seen in a few minutes.

Those few minutes turned into a fifteen minute wait. After those fifteen minutes of waiting I was approached by a female representative who gave me a application to fill out, in which I did. At approximately 2:40pm I was approached by the same female representative in which I was informed that the gentlemen I was supposed to see was not present on that day due to being sick. I went into the interview room with her, in which I handed her the application I filled out as well as my resume. I was asked a series of questions where I answered them to fullest ability. After the interview questions were completed I was given a sheet that asked for my work ability. I filled that out and handed it to her. At that point she told me that the interview was over and I could leave. I thanked her for giving me the opportunity to come for a interview and that I hope to here from the store soon.

One week passed, and I did not hear anything from the store. On July 16th, 2007 at approximatley 11 am I made the effort to call the store to speak to the gentlemen that I was supposed to see. I was told that he was not working that particular day. When I questioned when is he working I was many different things. I was told he was going to be in the next day, all day. Then I was told that he is going to be in at 2 pm.

The following day (July 17th, 2007) I called back to the store to speak to him. I was under the impression that he would be in. Since I did not know exactly what time he is working, since I was told different times, I called at approximatley 10:15 am. At that point I spoke to one of his co-workers from his department. His co-worker told me to call back at 12:30 pm and he will be in at that time. I questioned his co-worker if he is sure that he is going to be in and he told me yes. However it happened to be a lie. At 12:35 pm I called the store back, again I was under the impression that he would he in. When I called I used the menu option to call direct to his department, computers. After waiting a significant amount to time on the phone with no one answering, I got connected to customer service. I explained to the girl that I a, calling to speak to the gentlemen and gave her his name. She told me he is in today and that she would connect me to him. For a few minutes I was waiting on hold listening to an advertisment for the store. The call did not go through, the girl who transfered me saw that it did not go through the first time and transfered me again. After a few tries she told me that he is not answering. At that point I asked her if he is in. She told me he is probably on lunch, a meeting or helping a customer. That when I told her that I was told he was supposed to be in at this time. Thats where she told me to leave my name and phone number and she will walk over to his department and give him the message, so I did. Ten minutes later I got a call from the store, it was her informing me that he is not in and he will definatley be in from 9 am to 4 pm on July 18th, 2007.

On July 18th, 2007 I called back to the store at 9:30 am. I chose the option from the menu to be transfered to his department, which I was. The phone was answered by a fellow department representative of his. When I asked for him I was told he was in a meeting and that I should call back again. At that point I was upset that I was told to call back again even though I was told to call back in five minutes. So I explained to the representative that I have been calling since Monday July 16, 2007 and all I am being told is to call back and he is never there. At that point he told me to hold on, where I herd him tell another reprentative my situation. Within a few minutes the gentlemen I was trying to in contact with was on the phone.

During the conversation I introduced myself and explained to him what I am calling about. Thats where he asked me if I had been contacted since the interview, where I told him that I have not been and that I am calling to find out what is going on (if I had been contacted and never got the message). He told me since I did not have the interview with him, that it is no longer up to him. Which I understand completely. He did tell me he would pass on my name and number to the appropriate person and they will contact me back. I left my information in hopes of getting a call back.

After we spoke I waited the rest of the day for a phone call, July 18, 2007. I did not get a phone. On July 19, 2007 I still did not get a phone call. At 4:45pm I called the Best Buy toll free number where they told me to try the store back and if not to email this address. At 5:05 pm I called the store a final time. Where I asked if there was a Human Resourses Department, they told me no only customer service. The explained to the representative why I am calling and she told me that the representative that I need to speak with is helping out a customer and she will give her the message to call me back immediatley after she finishes with the customer. Again I left me contact information, expecting to get a call back. Again I was disapointed, one hours and forty minutes later I still did not receive a call back.

Currently I am disappointed with the service and unproffesionalism that the store has provided. I feel that the subject matter should be addressed immediatley when a person takes the time out of their day to make a phone call to speak to one person and not get through to that person. I feel that they have lied to me continuously and have not only wasted their time telling me to call back but my time as well. There was only one representative with the decensy to provide me with accurate information and have the liberty to call me back to provide me with the information. I personally feel that they are dealing with this subject matter in a very immature manner and that they are playing mind games with me. I also feel that this issue should be addressed for better customer service not only to me ask a potential employee, customer and other customers. If this issue cannot be addressed then the store has not only lost a customer but will not be getting any refferals for future customers.

What I ask for you today is to provide me with the information that I am seeking. I would like to know what is going on with the job? Have I gotten the job or not? Any information that could be provided to me would be greatly appreciated. Feel free to email me back at email removed or you can call me at (my phone number).

Thank you for taking the time to read my email.

Sincerley,

Glegend

P.S. If any additional information is required it can be provided at ones request

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To tell you the truth I don't expect to get the job. Because they are avoiding me and giving me a lot of b.s. over the phone. I see where your getting at as me branding myself as a complainer. I was told not only my family and friends but by teachers as well that if I don't hear anything back from places where I have gone for interviews that I should call them up and see whats going on. But what I am complaining about is how they are treating the situation, and just asking if they know anything. Their customer care 1-800-number told me to email them

I can understand your aggrivation, but on the same token even though they called you, they are not obligated to rehire you. Also, I have never been to an interview that was held on time except for once. I guess it is great that you spent the time writing them a letter about the situation, but I can see why they would not call you back after many of your phone calls if they had no intentions of calling you. I don't agree with the procedure but I also would take no offense to it.

your interview only started 10 minutes late. that is not bad at all. pretty standard.

ps - why didn't you ever contact the woman that held your interview? why did you keep calling the guy who was out of town or whatever. if that woman did your interview, maybe she would have been more helpful to talk to, as you two had actually met in real life.

unless i have this wrong.... I see that you are referring to him as a gentleman, but her as a girl. i'm not sure if you realize how sexist this sounds.

I can understand your aggrivation, but on the same token even though they called you, they are not obligated to rehire you. Also, I have never been to an interview that was held on time except for once. I guess it is great that you spent the time writing them a letter about the situation, but I can see why they would not call you back after many of your phone calls if they had no intentions of calling you. I don't agree with the procedure but I also would take no offense to it.

I am aggrivated, yes. I know they don't have to rehire me, but thats not why I am pissed off. All my interviews have either been on time or early. Why they weren't calling me back is because I believe they did not get the message or they just don't care. I left 3 messages and after I left the first one I got a call back, not by the person who was supposed to but the one I left the message with. Honestly I agree with you on not agreeing with the procedure. However, I know people who call back and follow up and find out whats going on. My uncle works CBC a television channel, and he was calling them every friday for over 2 months and speaking with this guy and he got the job. He does that with every job interview he goes to, he calls and follows up with it.

To tell you the truth I don't expect to get the job. Because they are avoiding me and giving me a lot of b.s. over the phone. I see where your getting at as me branding myself as a complainer. I was told not only my family and friends but by teachers as well that if I don't hear anything back from places where I have gone for interviews that I should call them up and see whats going on. But what I am complaining about is how they are treating the situation, and just asking if they know anything. Their customer care 1-800-number told me to email them

I think calling them several times in one day can be harassement to them. not getting a call for 1 hour and 45 minutes is not a big deal, it's pretty typical. plus it was at the end of the day. likely, they had a customer, maybe had to go to a meeting, and then had to rush home. maybe they were planning on calling you the next day, but i wouldn't be expecting a call anymore.

Dear BB,

I've been trying to apply for a position at your Anytown sore, and experienced some difficulty making contact. Apparently the hiring manager has been unavailable this busy sales season.

I'd appreciate a few minutes of his time to show what I have to offer Best Buy, and look forward to hearing from you.

Thank you for your time and consideration,

Glegend.

Beyond that, I'd check out their competition.

Just a thought.

your interview only started 10 minutes late. that is not bad at all. pretty standard.

ps - why didn't you ever contact the woman that held your interview? why did you keep calling the guy who was out of town or whatever. if that woman did your interview, maybe she would have been more helpful to talk to, as you two had actually met in real life.

unless i have this wrong.... I see that you are referring to him as a gentleman, but her as a girl. i'm not sure if you realize how sexist this sounds.

You know something 10 minutes is still 10 minutes. Why did I contact the guy? Because I was supposed to see him for the interview cause I'm supposed to be in his department if I were to get the job. I don't know the woman who interviewed me to call and speak with her, but she did tell me that its not her decision on hiring me or not. As to the gentleman and girl thing I dunno why I wrote it like that I dunno I messed up or something. Like all I had on my mind was to write the letter and send it and see what they tell me.

I think calling them several times in one day can be harassement to them. not getting a call for 1 hour and 45 minutes is not a big deal, it's pretty typical. plus it was at the end of the day. likely, they had a customer, maybe had to go to a meeting, and then had to rush home. maybe they were planning on calling you the next day, but i wouldn't be expecting a call anymore.

Exactly. This is retail. They have many priorities going on ...

And here is a thought, maybe they reviewed the app and were not interested? Of course we always hope an employer will call back to give a formal turndown call, but this is the real world and that does not always happen.

You know something 10 minutes is still 10 minutes. Why did I contact the guy? Because I was supposed to see him for the interview cause I'm supposed to be in his department if I were to get the job. I don't know the woman who interviewed me to call and speak with her, but she did tell me that its not her decision on hiring me or not. As to the gentleman and girl thing I dunno why I wrote it like that I dunno I messed up or something. Like all I had on my mind was to write the letter and send it and see what they tell me.

When was the last time you had a doctor's appt and were taken back less than ten minutes of your appt time?

And job interviews are free. Doctors visits cost money!

Dako's letter is good.

10 minutes. that's not an excessive amount of time at all to wait. I think if you refuse to wait 10 minutes, you'll never get a job anywhere. I think you should have gotten the name of the woman you interviewed with. why didn't you catch her name - you could have called her and asked about the status of your interview, even if it was not her decision to make, she might have still known the outcome.

As for the gentleman vs. girl, it definitely sounds like you feel like women are inconsequential and the men are the ones who matter. sorry, that's just how I read your letter. that plus the fact that you never contacted the woman who interviewed you.

I don't think it would be considered harassment because I was told to call back at those times, plus I wasn't calling like every 5 minutes. That call I waited for an 1 h 45m well I still have not gotten it and its like 10:20.

The way they are going about it and they way they treated the situation I don't think they ever had the intentions to call me

I did send it, I also spell-checked it.

If that is the exact email you sent (except for your number and real e-mail address), there are many grammatical and spelling errors in it. In the future, when sending letters to employers, you should have someone who is good at writing (or have us!) spell check and check for grammar.

When was the last time you had a doctor's appt and were taken back less than ten minutes of your appt time?

And job interviews are free. Doctors visits cost money!

I'm Canada, free med care.

Last time I went to the doctor was in like Jan, but I go right before he closes so I only wait like 10 minutes.

If that is the exact email you sent (except for your number and real e-mail address), there are many grammatical and spelling errors in it. In the future, when sending letters to employers, you should have someone who is good at writing (or have us!) spell check and check for grammar.

I used the gmail spell check to correct any errors that are their

I don't think it would be considered harassment because I was told to call back at those times, plus I wasn't calling like every 5 minutes. That call I waited for an 1 h 45m well I still have not gotten it and its like 10:20.

The way they are going about it and they way they treated the situation I don't think they ever had the intentions to call me

you say you've had a real job before, right? you aren't always available to answer anyone's phone call at any time of the day. people have meetings that go late, get overwhelmed by customers, things go wrong and they need immediate attention. getting back to your call ASAP isn't going to necessarily be at the top of his list.

I used the gmail spell check to correct any errors that are their

I used the gmail spell check to correct any errors that are there.

sorry, if I am being picky, but here you go as an example. "their" is not the same as "there."

That is their dog.

Put the book over there.

let me assure you, spell check did not correct all of your errors. sorry for getting all english teacher on you, but i'm just trying to help you out. don't rely on gmail's spell check anymore.

Point is glegend if you worked at best buy before, you know it is a very busy retail envirnoment and these guys and gals have many many priorities ahead of them. The timeframe you waited was not illogical or inappropriate. These guys and gals are dealing with angry customers and other priorities and such.

Personally if you were seeking feedback, that letter is going to pretty much ensure you are probably placed in some circular file (figuratively speaking) and i doubt you'll be getting callbacks for employment. When people are looking for work they don't tend to put all their eggs in one basket like you did with this one. You almost seemed to be obsessing over their calls instead of also putting out apps at other places.

While I don't think they may have been acting at 100% interviewing etiquette here, nothing was so over the top that a letter like that was warranted.

Just my humble opinion. And I was a corporate recruiter for retail for many years.

Exactly. This is retail. They have many priorities going on ...

And here is a thought, maybe they reviewed the app and were not interested? Of course we always hope an employer will call back to give a formal turndown call, but this is the real world and that does not always happen.

I know how retail works I worked their. But when I worked their I always helped out everyone who needed it. Either by phone or in person. I'm not saying its not possible that they are not interested. The way they are treating the situation, is like they are not. I know formal turn-downs don't really happen in this world. But when ones calls to inquire if he or she got the job then the right /professional thing to do is to be a man or woman about it and go to the phone and just say it. "Thank you for calling, (company name), it was nice interviewing you and meeting you however we have found someone who is more qualified for the job, if we do come accross another position avaliable we will consider you, thank you and have a good day/afternoon/night"

I used the gmail spell check to correct any errors that are there.

sorry, if I am being picky, but here you go as an example. "their" is not the same as "there."

That is their dog.

Put the book over there.

let me assure you, spell check did not correct all of your errors. sorry for getting all english teacher on you, but i'm just trying to help you out. don't rely on gmail's spell check anymore.

And also there are not just spelling errors, there are a lot of grammatical errors as well. I caught about 3 or 4 within the first 5 sentences. If I were a major company like them and read that, I would honestly take it with a grain of salt and press delete. I am sorry if that sounds mean and you may have been in a rush, but the fact of the matter is you were applying for a job there, not a customer making a complaint. They really don't owe you the same obligation as they do their customers so they probably would not look at the letter you sent them with the same care they would of a concerned customer.

Archived