$12,00 debt?!

forgiveand4get

I just found out that to have this baby it is going to cost me close to $12,000..... $12,000 my boy friend and I dont have. We could do it if I had insurance. but i found out that my dads wont cover me and I can't get on medicade (sP?) because my dad makes too much and I live in their house. If i were to move out I guess I could try and get on it, but if I cant then I'm just going to go into an even bigger debt because I'll have rent, utilities, dr bills and everything else that comes with living on your own. I'm even more stuck becuase I can't work as often because of being on bed rest rght now.

What the heck do i do?!

Where abouts do you live? I could look up free pre-natal care in your area....also, if your parents (depending on how old you are) let you become emancipated, then you would possibly qualify for medicaid...aren't you still covered on your parent's insurance???

it costs $12,00 after all the dr visits and the delivery and an epideral. i cant get insurance through where I work because I'm already pregnant and they wont cover it.

Adoption is not an option. (already started a thread about that one)

medicaide is the only thing I know of in my area (i live in Virginia). I'm 19 also. So i'm covered by parents insurance but it doesnt cover dependant pregnancies. so I'm soooo stuck.....

help

I looked up a few things in Virginia, (you know what county you are in, I don't of course) Look for the state health department of your county of residence, they can give you information on free, low cost clinics, (they go by your income on a sliding scale fee) Be your own advocate here, get to work, and stop panicking! No, don't give a child up because of money...that's crazy...your situation will change as you and your boyfriend get older. If I had thought about that, I would have never had children...and no, they aren't living on the state and we aren't destitute, it just wasn't easy when they were little. We scrimped and scraped by. But they are here with me and there isn't much I can compare them to. But the thing is, it is WORK, and you are the little mother, and guess what? It's mostly up to you! Pick up the phone, get on your computer and find answers. There IS help out there. If there weren't , the state would be overrun with premature and sick babies because people wouldn't go to doctors! 12,000 is simply a crazy number, perhaps if you had no insurance and your boyfriend was a professional basketball player for the NBA..but you are both young and starting out. Trust me, you aren't the only ones. My first son costed us maybe 3,000 dollars without help. I am sure YOU can get help !

Does your state offer any kind of insurance? Here in Massachusetts we have Mass Health it's kind of for low income people and my sister(who was 18 at the time of pregnancy) lived at home and qualified for it. I dont know how old you are but you should definitely qualify for it if your state has it that is.

Hmm, your state should really have something, specially if your low income... I know I get free insurance for the term of my pregnancy and the baby gets it after its born for a year (or two cant remember which) of course this is in MN and your laws might be different... but there has to be something out there for you! My bloodwork alone cost $700 and I would cry if that wasnt covered by medical cuz thats only one visit! Call your social services building and get some info from them ASAP, cuz the longer you wait you might have to pay for previous bills. After applying for mine I got any medical bills 3 months prior paid by it.

Have you actually gone to your local Dept. of Childrens and Families? Or whatever it is called there? The food stamp and medicaid people? Have you actually applied for and been denied officially?

I am 100 % sure you will qualify based on your age and income. You would qualify for medicaid for pregnant woman. It does not matter who you live with. They will cover the pregnancy and the baby up until he/she is a year old. You also qualify right now to get WIC (woman's infant's children) and that program can give you milk, eggs, cheese, peanut butter and other stuff for free. You will get this during your pregnancy, longer if you are nursing and the baby will get it till he/she is five years old. You are just going to have to go there (better yet first thing tomorrow morning) and fill out an application.

My line of thinking is this: The pregnancy legally emancipates you. So it shouldn't matter if you're living with your parents or your boyfriend or alone, your eligibility for Medicaid shouldn't be judged by your dad's income. As a pregnant woman, you're entitled to medical care - period. I'm with everybody else - head down to your local Medicaid office and fill out an application. Also investigate WIC; it'll help TREMENDOUSLY after delivery.

Happy BDay!

I thought you had already went to the doctor's but if you haven't so far, please do go =|. And if you haven't get pre-natal vitamins.. I got yelled at by my doctor for not taking some... oops?!

I'm sure there must be a way for you to afford a baby, there is a lot of low-income families that could never put 12K down.

well i mean i obviously dont make enough but becuase im a dependant what can I do?

and i only went to the dr for spotting at an urgent care place. im going to the real doctor on monday

Your 19. You are an adult and if you are going to have a baby you need to start taking some responsibility for your own life and that of your babies.

Its only just starting. Think of the future and theres no money for diapers or formula or whatever else it is that baby needs and you have to figure out how to get it for the baby. Not your parents. not your friends. No one but you. You are the mama so ultimately it will be your responsibility.

You say your going to the doctor on monday. Do you already have an appointment with one? Have you gone and applied for medicaid yet? When do you plan to do that? They will need to then set you up an appointment to come back to that office for your 'case file' to be reviewed.

You need to get on the ball here and get medical treatment because that baby needs it.

I am sorry if this comes accross as harsh but really you should not be waiting anymore. its very very important.

it costs $12,00 after all the dr visits and the delivery and an epideral. i cant get insurance through where I work because I'm already pregnant and they wont cover it.

Adoption is not an option. (already started a thread about that one)

medicaide is the only thing I know of in my area (i live in Virginia). I'm 19 also. So i'm covered by parents insurance but it doesnt cover dependant pregnancies. so I'm soooo stuck.....

help

Yes, $12K is about the average. And just because someone doesn't have an initial $12K to put up for having the baby doesn't mean they won't be able to take care of it. (Sad state of healthcare in our country when adoption is suggested because someone doesn't have insurance...)

I would talk to someone at Medicaid about your options. If there is one medical condition Medicaid really bend over backwards to qualify someone for, it's pregnancy.

i suggested adoption because of a combination of factors:

• Living at home as a dependent of her parents.
  • Age 19.
  • Boyfriend has no money.
  • No insurance for the delivery.

The OP may manage to make things work, but I still think considering adoption versus having the rest of the world pay the cost of having and raising this child is a responsible thing to do.

Adoption as a consideration also can be a good alternative for a child who's parents are not really ready for parenthood.

Hi. I live in Virginia too. I had a friend that was in the same situation as you, and there is another program other than medicaid. It's called FAMIS. You have to pay a teeny bit out of pocket but it will cover you since you live with your parents which is why my friend couldn't get medicaid. You can find it online...but really I would just go to your local Social Service department and they will help you.

Angie

Archived